Broken Collar Bone and DLR

My 15-year-old son broke his collar bone yesterday during his high school wrestling practice. After a couple of hours in the hospital and as the Vicadin was kicking in, he asked, “ Will I be ready to play baseball when it starts (in February)?” and then, “What about Disneyland?” We will be down there for five days beginning on December 18th and he’s worried that he will have to sit out a lot of rides. My questions: Has anybody ever visited Disneyland with a broken collar bone? What rides, if any, do you think he’ll have to miss? He’ll probably still have a sling at that point to keep his arm immobile. It will be almost six weeks that he will have been healing and we will definitely consult his doctor before we go down, but I was just wondering if anybody had any practical experience with something like this, or any educated guesses. Thanks.

• I'm not really here

Re: Broken Collar Bone and DLR

Matterhorn and Indy may be no-nos. Screamin' as well given the over-the-shoulder-restraints. Anything else could be just fine. Maybe not BTMRR. All depends on how he is feeling.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

My girlfriend and I were there awhile back and both of her wrists as well as her collarbone were broken, casts on both arms and a titanium plate holding her clavicle together.(We are avid cyclists and sometimes it'll get ya!) She rode pretty much everything except Indy and Screamin'.

She made sure to hold the arm with the broken collarbone close and snug to her body when riding things that were rough, but then again, she is kind of a badass.

• Minion

i agree with indy screamin and mattorhorn i've had back surgery thoughs rides are rough while you are healing... big thunder is questionable.

• Crockett's Explorer Guide

I had a broken collar bone when I was younger, and even after some timed had passed a slight jolt would hurt like hell. I would advice nothing except for omnimover rides, fantasyland rides, and the shows.

I would avoid:

Pirates
    Big Thunder
    Splash Mountain
    Matterhorn
    Space Mountain
    California Screamin
    Grizzly River Rapids
    Tower of Terror

Anything else would probably be ok

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Funny as it sounds, Alice (which a 15-year-old boy might not want to ride anyway...) starts off right after loading with a neck-jerking jolt! Even the waterfalls on Pirates might cause strain on the injured areas - and there would be a jolt when bumped by another boat from behind - even though it is really slow speed - and the neck-jerk when the boats are moved up onto the unloading conveyor belt at the end. Haunted Mansion has that one spot in the graveyard where it turns you backwards and almost lays you down as you look at the crow overhead.

I suggest Billy Hill and the Hillbillies! There you might just laugh too hard!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Matterhorn and Indy may be no-nos. Screamin' as well given the over-the-shoulder-restraints. Anything else could be just fine. Maybe not BTMRR. All depends on how he is feeling.
    no Indy either
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • State sponsored cyclist

Every collar bone break is different. I broke mine in 2003 while mountain biking, but I was back riding the road seven weeks later. I was "radiologically healed", and the doctor said it was OK to ride as long as I didn't fall

After the first day or two, I had very little pain or discomfort. I started out wearing a sling, but it was difficult to stay in it, so the orthopedist set me up with an immobilizer that was comfortable enough to sleep in and easy to take off when showering or changing clothes.
    Have bicycle, will ride. Finished 2012 with 10,089 miles, 683 hours, and 482,000 feet of elevation gain.
    2013: 201 rides, 8171 miles, 544 hours, 480K feet.
    2014 so far: 6956 miles, 398,000 feet

Just some advice here but years ago my mom broke her wrist. My mom and dad still went to Disneyland though and they road Space Mountain....let's just say it wasn't a good idea (ouch!). I know it's not the same type of injury, but just out of advice, don't risk it.

And also like others have said, some easy rides might put him at risk with bumping. POTN, IASW (maybe?), Autopia. You don't want to risk doing more damage during the healing process...

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Quote Originally Posted by aenobarbe View Post
    I had a broken collar bone when I was younger, and even after some timed had passed a slight jolt would hurt like hell. I would advice nothing except for omnimover rides, fantasyland rides, and the shows.

I would avoid:

Pirates
    Big Thunder
    Splash Mountain
    Matterhorn
    Space Mountain
    California Screamin
    Grizzly River Rapids
    Tower of Terror

Anything else would probably be ok
    I agree, but Pirates is fine.

• ...is busy, please hold.

So basically avoid anything that look entertaining
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

And as silly as it could sound, try not to spin TOO fast in the tea cups. Though I don't remember them being all that fast to begin with? Just depends on your turning speed. At least that's controllable :]

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    I agree, but Pirates is fine.
    yeah, POTC is fine until boar rear ends yours...same for IASW.