Page 1 of 31 12341126 ... LastLast

• Circle of Ancients

Disneyland Park Attendance Increases - Revenue decreases

Thanks to our friends at Around Disney ...

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1271...post1055660630

Of course, we all know why attendance is up but revenue is down.

Re: Disneyland Park Attendance Increases - Revenue decreases

Personally, I am looking to spend more money in the parks but can't because of the increased attendance.

With the Birthday/2Fer/Payment Plan/Halloweentime promotions, I cannot stay long enough in the parks to enjoy myself and buy meals and snacks because of the crowds! Even more so, sometimes I do not make it into the parks because of the parking situation! I am patient, but not a fan of inefficency.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sir clinksalot View Post
    Thanks to our friends at Around Disney ...

http://micechat.com/forums/news/1271...post1055660630

Of course, we all know why attendance is up but revenue is down.
    It's hard to believe that with the multitudes of AP holders roaming about the parks that revenue would be DOWN 7 percent from last year. Personally, we made a few less trips as a family last year, and consequently spent less on food, etc. What we DID end up spending was directly related to the in park gift cards that we got for the birthdays.

I wonder if the birthday cash is subtracted from the revenues or if it is included somehow. Something tells me that was one heck of an expensive promotion for the company. Effective...but expensive.

• Banned User

Disney is taking away more stable income in the form of the 1 - 5 day ticket package sales and gambling that if the customer gets a break at the booth then that will translate to more in-park sales. The thing is that if you reversed this, nobody would come to the parks and spend ANY money.

Considering the economy I get the feeling that Disney is under the impression that they are winning by stopping the bleeding, somewhat, caused by the large wound that the economy has left.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    It's hard to believe that with the multitudes of AP holders roaming about the parks that revenue would be DOWN 7 percent from last year. Personally, we made a few less trips as a family last year, and consequently spent less on food, etc. What we DID end up spending was directly related to the in park gift cards that we got for the birthdays.

I wonder if the birthday cash is subtracted from the revenues or if it is included somehow. Something tells me that was one heck of an expensive promotion for the company. Effective...but expensive.
    Honestly, compared to years past, I see a LOT less people carrying around merchandise bags, etc. Even at park closing, it's generally pretty easy to go into the Emporium and buy something as most everybody is heading right for the gates.

I'm very hard-pressed to think of any merchandise we bought at the parks this year that wasn't purchased on the birthday (or other) gift-card.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    This, and maybe payment-plan APs that haven't yet been paid off. (But that would just be delayed revenue, "defaulted" ones notwithstanding.)

It's probably safe to assume that part of the increased attendance at DLR is from the "staycation" concept that proliferated in 2008 when gas was suddenly expensive and stuff.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Lower quality food, smaller portions and higher prices? I can't fathom why I rarely eat at the DLR anymore.

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

To be honest, last time I was there I just couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy, so I don't think the entire problem is the economy or APs; I think some of the problem may be the merchandise.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

Not only is there not a lot of great merchandise to buy, but they have raised their price on meals so high at a time when many are struggling, that I would bet more people are eating offsite than ever before.

And that is if you can even get to the park in the first place! Like Darkbeer said in today's column - 90 MINUTES FROM FREEWAY TO ENTRANCE - that is ridiculous, and it is not even the busiest season yet. I wish I could turn my AP in and get my money back at this point...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by h2opolodad View Post
    And that is if you can even get to the park in the first place! Like Darkbeer said in today's column - 90 MINUTES FROM FREEWAY TO ENTRANCE - that is ridiculous, and it is not even the busiest season yet. I wish I could turn my AP in and get my money back at this point...
    It goes to show how much of a rush decision that increasing the park attendance was for Disney. The parking situation is an embarassment.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by EmeralineDragon View Post
    To be honest, last time I was there I just couldn't find anything I really wanted to buy, so I don't think the entire problem is the economy or APs; I think some of the problem may be the merchandise.
    I tend to agree with the merchandise idea. I am a huge collector - my packed-out home office testifies to that. However, there seems to be the exact same items in every store throughout both Parks. There used to be specialty shops on Main Street and in New Orleans Square - like the candle shop, the One-Of-A-Kind Shop, etc. I know there are some exceptions like the custom-design watches and the fine glassware from the Chech Rep. But, for the most part, it is just the same stuff - and one trip to the World of Disney would take care of most shopping needs.

Last trip I bought the 2010 wall calendar and two mouse ear top hats for a Dickens Fair we will be attending to sell our book. That was it. We were there for 3 days.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Dive ..... Dive.....

When you have to pay close to 10 dollars for a clam chowder bowl I'm not eating more than 1 or 2 times at the resort. If quality were to increase and prices to decrease I would reconsider. Merchandise is also a joke and for that reason I have no incentive to buy it.

• Banned User

It's not at all surprising that revenue would be down while attendance up. With nearly one million AP holders, combined with the blizzard of promotions, they've jammed the park full of people who are paying pennies on the dollar. So we have a lose-lose situation; the fans lose because of the diminished quality of the experience, fighting throngs of people instead of relaxing and enjoying the park. Disney loses because they manage to alienate some people and increase maintenance expenses while actually making less money!

Here's a radical idea for them: how about actually caring about quality, instead of treating DLR like a cash cow, and not giving a damn if Disneyland has become the world's best themed sardine can?

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

well i'm thinking that maybe they're using the money to come up with all these promotions
    when really, Disneyland doesn't need a promotion.
    maybe a commercial that says "come to Disneyland" once a week or so
    but still, i think you get what i'm saying
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    It's not at all surprising that revenue would be down while attendance up. With nearly one million AP holders, combined with the blizzard of promotions, they've jammed the park full of people who are paying pennies on the dollar. So we have a lose-lose situation; the fans lose because of the diminished quality of the experience, fighting throngs of people instead of relaxing and enjoying the park. Disney loses because they manage to alienate some people and increase maintenance expenses while actually making less money!

Here's a radical idea for them: how about actually caring about quality, instead of treating DLR like a cash cow, and not giving a damn if Disneyland has become the world's best themed sardine can?
    I would add the payment plain for AP holders was very stupic that
    Disney ever came up with it.....
    also for Food you paying more for smaller portions ..........
    I would eat on the outside than giving Disney my hard earn money!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Page 1 of 31 12341126 ... LastLast