Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: What effect do you think the Tom Staggs/Jay Rasulo changeup will have on Disneyla

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    While I don't doubt Tom's ability to squeeze a penny out of a rock I am curious as to how much more they can actually get out of the park. There comes a point where the product may not be accepted by the public without substantial discount. Considering his background Tom may be the one who demonstrates that spending money could generate far larger profits, and continue to do so over a prolonged period of time.

What I am really curious about is how this is perceived in the company. Is this seen as a promotion for Jay? Or is this seen as a demotion for Tom? Or is it simply the company re-evaluating the strengths of two of its executives? Likewise will this break Jay's hold on Disneyland? It is very early in the game so a lot remains to be seen but this another recent decision that has a potential for major changes (naming of the new DLR President being another one).
    This is seen for what it is - giving both executives some growth opportunities. Tom is a pure CFO and his approach to the park will make Jay look like Walt himself.

Re: What effect do you think the Tom Staggs/Jay Rasulo changeup will have on Disneyla

A lot of people seem fairly worried about this. I don't know anything about Staggs but I'm willing to see how he goes about things before I judge.
    I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Lasseter should be making a bid for creative control of the parks. I mean, his animation responsibilities put a lot on his plate already but if anyone's qualified to take over the parks... Maybe put one of the other high-up Pixar guys in charge of Animation?
    That would work well for me.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    If he does turn out to be just another tow-the-line, status-quo kind of guy, we could call it "Stagg-nation" Hopefully, the company won't hit another "Rasu-low". Okay, that's enough puns for now .
    ^ love this!!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by SnorkletsMom View Post
    I fear that they are focused on money and only money. The end result will be that they will squeeze any remaining magic, uniqueness and essential spirit of Disneyland right out of the park, making it just another overpriced amusement park with cheapened attractions themed and re-themed to whatever meat puppets they're churning out of the Disney Channel stable. Generic merchandise, horrible food and over-promotion combined with no real imagination or vision can only result in a park that's lost all its glory. I guess that will take care of the overcrowding problem.
    Haha, I could never imagine a Disneyland where 80% of the attendance is all gangsters. That's what we have Magic Mountain for. But if Disneyland really did fail like you mentioned, that's exactly the direction that the park will be heading to, another L.A. gangster's paradise.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WestsideCM99 View Post
    Haha, I could never imagine a Disneyland where 80% of the attendance is all gangsters. That's what we have Magic Mountain for. But if Disneyland really did fail like you mentioned, that's exactly the direction that the park will be heading to, another L.A. gangster's paradise.
    This Statement is so true so true.....
    Disneyland have fell to new low....
    Is the Magic ",going ,going ,GONE" ?
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

The new boss will want to dump the "darlings" of the previous boss.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Jachywalcott View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if maybe Lasseter should be making a bid for creative control of the parks. I mean, his animation responsibilities put a lot on his plate already but if anyone's qualified to take over the parks... Maybe put one of the other high-up Pixar guys in charge of Animation?
    That would work well for me.
    Do you feel that Finding Nemo:SV is an ideal DL attraction? Because remember John L stuck his nose in there to make it what it is... and honestly I think it's miserable. Toy Story MM also came out under his watchful eye.. and that's not really seen as fantastic by traditionalist fans.

Where is John L's track record to say he'd be good for running the parks ?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    And seeing how they decided to keep Jay (and even give him a promotion), it just proves that Iger and the rest are quite happy with the direction that Jay has taken the parks.
    That's what concerns me.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by whamo View Post
    The new boss will want to dump the "darlings" of the previous boss.
    YES new boss have his own team..... You might have something...
    That can be good? also can be worst?
    Last edited by Eagleman; 11-18-2009 at 08:59 AM.
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Do you feel that Finding Nemo:SV is an ideal DL attraction? Because remember John L stuck his nose in there to make it what it is... and honestly I think it's miserable. Toy Story MM also came out under his watchful eye.. and that's not really seen as fantastic by traditionalist fans.

Where is John L's track record to say he'd be good for running the parks ?
    I wonder though, is it coming to the point where someone with SOME creativity (like or dislike of Lasseter's work aside) is better for the health of the parks than another bean counting, sharp pencileer?

A kind of lesser of two evils thing?

I am not sure what to make of this but I am going to take a wait and see approach. Just because Tom was CFO doesn't mean that he is a bean counter. I believe that Tom is relatively young so this move may be to give him broader experience within the Disney businesses which are certainly much larger than just the theme parks. If he felt it was a demotion, he would have just left so I think there are bigger things going on here.
    The Mur

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by whitestrat View Post
    I wonder though, is it coming to the point where someone with SOME creativity (like or dislike of Lasseter's work aside) is better for the health of the parks than another bean counting, sharp pencileer?

A kind of lesser of two evils thing?
    This assumes the person has no creativity at all... (a stretch..) and that a person with creativity can offset the other things they lack needed for such a job.

What you need is a person that lets the people they hired to do the work.. do it.. and be able to objectively take in all sides when making decisions. You can't be a accountant trying to be a show designer... and you can't be a show designer trying to be an accountant. You have to build experts at each and bring them together to build the best overall product.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

This change probably means we will see more brilliant concepts in terms of pricing in every avenue of the "parks"

More charges, add on fee's more 99 cent charges for tomato slices on burgers and probably more reductions in live entertainment and live man power.

Cutting costs, increasing profits, short term numbers gain is the name of the game for executives just trying to make numbers for the quarter.
    Maintaining the true Disney "Magic" and showmanship are not factored into these peoples equations.

• Banned User

Honestly they basically swapped Jay Rasolu for Paul Pressler. I seriously can't decide which of the two is worst. Look at Staggs history all he knows is finance and strategic planning (the group that prevented WDI from building anything to eleborate stateside). He doesn't know anything about creativity, Disney history, the imagineering process, etc. When he joined the company in the 90s it was already heading down a bad path and he just assumse thats how its always been. He is only interested in brand leveraging and increasing capital expenditures (aka nickel and diming customers and offering less impressive attractions at a reduced cost)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    This change probably means we will see more brilliant concepts in terms of pricing in every avenue of the "parks"

More charges, add on fee's more 99 cent charges for tomato slices on burgers and probably more reductions in live entertainment and live man power.

Cutting costs, increasing profits, short term numbers gain is the name of the game for executives just trying to make numbers for the quarter.
    Maintaining the true Disney "Magic" and showmanship are not factored into these peoples equations.
    This pretty much sums up what a good portion of us think. The last sentence especially. Disney like any other business is stuck in a flat economy right now and they are scrambling to do whatever it takes to save their butts while at the same time trying to sustain their primary concern which is the expansion of their Parks and Resorts across the globe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast