Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Coronus, The Terminator

A113's Armchair Imagineering - Reminaging Mickey's Toontown

1) Reimagining Mickey's Toontown --- Pg.1
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________

Reimagining Mickey's Toontown: Disneyland

First of all I'd like to introduce myself with this sorta thing. I'm into rollercoasters and such and such and I do pursue the career of Imagineering. I thought since I'm surrounded by many peers in the disney realm I might as well write down some of my ideas for critique and some opinions or advice. In some cases I'm going to rant a bit, but at the same time I'm presenting an idea.

One idea I've had for a long time now is to just completely reconstruct Mickey's Toontown. In my opinion, the area is in a deteriorating state and has a high lack of foliage and vegetation. To me it's a bit bland and too 90s. I feel the same about WDW's Tomorrowland. The concept of Toontown is good, but it isn't good enough.

I remember as a younger kid growing up with the Disney Afternoon on Toon Disney with my favorite cartoons such as the House of Mouse, Ducktales, Goof Troop, Darkwing Duck, et cetra et cetra. I always thought it would be a good idea to incorporate that into Toontown, but it didn't necessarily happen. I know they did Disney Afternoon in the early 90's but I know they can do better with modern and current standards. I've done some sketches and ideas of what to do with the area but I lost them so I'll try to describe this as best as I can.

The Jolley Trolley was a good idea, and I'd really like to see that come back. As a personal suggestion for safety and lower risk of legal conflict it could have an enclosed short wall around it, more or so like the lower deck of the Omnibus. The "downtown" portion is good, and the location of it by the train station serves well but I personally think it's too small. I really liked the stand-by queue of Roger Rabbit and the maze of the city is really what it should be. I do know the vicinity is compact in respect to the backstage, but I think a really good idea is cutting part of downtown into the area of the present-day Fantasy Faire. Trees can hide the area but the idea of toowntown on both sides of Toontwon Depot just sounds like a good idea to me, and would be unique to the park, since the train stations in Disneyland are usually on the borderline or the edge of the land it's present in. Also in addition to a more complex downtown area, I actually think that there should be a really interactive attraction, very similar to the Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure in which there is a second floor to one of the facades where guests enter a room with a Detective in need of some assistance, more or so of a Disney version of Sherlock Holmes. I'm guessing a character from the Disney Afternoon would work well. I can't think of any that would fit perfectly, but the only thing I can currently think of on the top of my head is either Donald or Darkwing Duck. Guests enter the room and a real working animatronic explains the story, and hands out walki-talkies to each guest, more preferably a group of 5-10. There could be several "quests" and it is randomized so if you come back there's a 25% chance that you'd get the same one you did previously. You can explore the whole area and really get the whole entire family involved.

Another problem is Gadget's Go Coaster. Don't get me wrong, it's a great junior coaster, but the only problem to me is that it's not original. If you're a roller coaster nerd like me on the site, you should know that the ride is a model, a Vekoma Junior Coaster (207m). And for those of you non-coaster nerds on the site, that means the ride is not an original layout, and the same layout and plan has been used many times before, most specifically for this one is 28 internationally. Examples:

Backyardigans: Mission to Mars @ Movie Park Germany

Roller Skater @ Six Flags Mexico

And Woody Woodpecker's Nuthouse @ Universal Studios Florida

(All Pictures Sited from Roller Coaster DataBase)

I know making a custom roller coaster and larger project sounds like a bad idea both financially, and does not project revenue, but I personally think it's better for Disney's image in making their own (Of course I have to add on this part that Muholland Madness also needs a completely new coaster and custom design). Not now, but later, I could make a simulation of a rollercoaster idea that could work well. I can do that y'know .

One of my final proposals is a real restaurant with an indoor facility and such. I really like the idea of a 50's/60's Toon Diner, and Daisy's Diner is the obvious pick. Johnny Rockets could* be a possible sponsor (*I know it currently sponsors Six Flags and Cedar Fair, but it is just an idea), with both indoor and outdoor seating. An additional idea that could be yet another event to attract guests to the area, is a performance while still managing the restaurant. You could have waiters on roller-skates deliver the food or Daisy herself on roller-skates meeting and greeting guests while they eat (obviously in the outside eating area). This could be great for nostalgic 50's feel with the Disney Magic.

Last but not least, a more cleaner and larger recreational "park" or ToonGarden as I'll call it, would be really cool and nice for parents to relax with their young ones. A character or two could walk around there. The current "ToonPark" is really sad and crappy to be honest with you. For those who don't know what I'm talking about, is right to the left of the Toontown main entrance leaving the tunnel.

All of this sounds like a challenge to construct with space limitations and restrictions, but nothing like a challenge Disney can't handle. From the words of Walt Disney, "it's kinda fun to do the impossible."

That is pretty much a standard start on my Toontown Renovation idea. I'll make a map later on, but I'm kinda busy atm. I will appreciate any constructive criticism and I will NOT appreciate hate. Thanks and I will post more of my ideas here in the future. Trust me, I got lots

A113
    Last edited by A113; 11-15-2009 at 04:41 PM.

• Banned User

Re: A113's Armchair Imagineering - Reminaging Mickey's Toontown

how would you enter toontown if the fantasy fair becomes toontown?

Quote Originally Posted by Ckelef1 View Post
    how would you enter toontown if the fantasy fair becomes toontown?
    Um, the same entrance used today will still work. But I made up a temporary map that gives an idea of what I think Toontown should be like. I'll draw a map later, but this one suffices. Color key is below the picture.

Red: Toontown Border
    Blue: Downtown Border
    Yellow: ToonGarden
    Green: Entrance/Exit
    Pink: Mickey's Neighborhood
    Orange: Daisy's Diner
    Purple: New Coaster

So essentially the layout is almost the same as it is today, just that it is completely redone. Comments and criticism are appreciated.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Wow, great post!

Love some of those ideas!

Thanks man

• Banned User

oh cool map. but how would people access the coaster?

Oh I forgot to put that in the map. I think an underpass or an overpass will work fine. I think I prefer an underpass though.

• Banned User

Good ideas! How many attractions would be in there after this refurb? The new coaster, the interactive experience, and jolly trolley, or are there more?

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

You should some more of these, like maybe a new Critter Country or something.

[Remove Post]
    Last edited by A113; 11-15-2009 at 01:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    Good ideas! How many attractions would be in there after this refurb? The new coaster, the interactive experience, and jolly trolley, or are there more?
    5 is what I'm counting. Roger Rabbit may have to be redone if the reconstruction of the downtown area interferes. And 6 if you include roller-skating chick waiters as an attraction

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    You should some more of these, like maybe a new Critter Country or something.
    And yeah I'm going to post all my ideas in here. If the thread gets popular I'll continue on with my Tomorrowland Plans and more

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Nice, I can't wait for more!

Ah trust me there will be! Just letting you know a majority of the future things I'll present are roller coasters. Sorry but they're just my thing, y'know

• ...is busy, please hold.

Quote Originally Posted by A113 View Post

One of my final proposals is a real restaurant with an indoor facility and such. I really like the idea of a 50's/60's Toon Diner, and Daisy's Diner is the obvious pick. Johnny Rockets could* be a possible sponsor.

Hmmm....a Disney-ized Johnny Rockets sounds good.
    *licks lips*
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Gateway Fantasmic!

Very cool! But I would rather see FF as a Fantasyland expansion.
    "Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children." -Walter Elias Disney

SEE MOM! Even Walt Disney thought school was bad!

Twitter http://twitter.com/dogtherock
    YouTube http://www.youtube.com/user/dogtherock
    Facebook http://www.facebook.com/waltdisneyscaliforniaadventure
    (Look at the URL i got for Facebook

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast