Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Armchair Imagineer

Lightbulb A fix for Screamin's scream tubes (with "concept art")

It might be noted that I have something of a vendetta against California Screamin's scream tubes. I understand that DCA has obligations to the community to put them there, but they are so badly incorporated into the design of the structure that they are an eyesore on the DCA sightline.

I've been pondering different ways around incorporating them into the new Victorian theme of the pier, and I toyed with Victorian rooflines, archways, etc., but they all seemed out-of-place on a classic "wooden" coaster.

So, here is a simple approach to redesigning them, that I think fits in to the general appearance of an old boardwalk coaster. Basically, the supports for the scream tubes would wrap around at and angle, and the supports from either side would form a crisscross pattern (instead of the current circular rings). These would be white, to match the rest of the coaster, instead of that godawful teal. The half of the tubes facing the outside of the park would have a sheet of clear plastic or plexiglass (possibly frosted or distorted to hide the outside world) so screams would be deflected but visually the whole coaster would be open to the sky.

Here is a rough sketch of what I had in mind:

As you can see, the tubes are much less visually obtrusive, and the crisscrosses go nicely with the diagonal supports on the rest of the structure. Also, because the supports come in at an angle, they arise more organically from the lift hills, instead of the "hacked-off" appearance the current tubes have. Since I'm a stickler for detail, the top of the plastic sheet should be cut to match the lines of the crisscrosses as they curve over, instead of having a free edge that just stops halfway around the tube like the current teal one does.

I was also wondering--would it be possible to move the titanium sun from the plaza to the back of California Screamin'? I've always liked that sun, even though it is woefully inadequate as a hub centerpiece, so I would like to see it incorporated into the park in some capacity rather than chucked out when Carthay Circle is built. I read that it's about 50 feet wide, or about 1/3 the diameter of Mickey's Fun Wheel, which seems like it's roughly the same scale as the Screamin' sun/Mickey head. I couldn't find any info on how deep or how heavy it is, or how it's mounted, so I don't know if it's technically possible to put behind Screamin'. The drawing above has the sun from the plaza shown, but, failing that any yet-to-be-determined-but-certainly-better-than-that-painted-cartoon-sun would do.

Another bit of detailing I would like to see (although it would probably be more expensive to do than it would be worth) would be to actually make Screamin' look like it's made of wood--basically by adding a "skin" of faux woodgrain panels (painted white) around the existing supports, at least the ones that a guest can see walking through the park.

I look forward to your thoughts, suggestions, and comments!

UPDATE: Here is more detail on the faux-wood idea.

Here is what the supports look like now:

[Disclaimer--not my photo, and I don't know where I got it ]

Here is a very roughly photoshopped mock-up of how they'd look covered in "woodgrain":

I think it makes quite a difference.
    Last edited by AGD; 11-18-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: update w/ more images

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: A fix for Screamin's scream tubes (with "concept art")

Very nice!

• Not Here / Not Now

I think that's not that bad of an idea, but that's more abstract to me than vintage. I personally could see a red scream tube to replace the blue, to blend with TSMM. Some sort of wooden plank texturing would actually make it more vintage and hide the junk metal that you see today. I've seen this same discussion in a thread before, and I think it's k_peek_2000 who did a photoshop of the idea, but I may be wrong.

I think they also need to build a white railing/lattice along points in the track where you can see the Convention Center and such. A simple 4 foot stretch of lattice work would easily block out much of the outside world and would hardly be noticed as you sped by.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Not Here / Not Now

This is not in relation to CS, but some tall foliage toward the back of the park and east end toward Pacific wharf would be great. I can see the Hilton from Golden Dreams . But if the rockwork from RSR is already going to block it out, I don't have a problem then.

Thumbs up Re: A fix for Screamin's scream tubes (with "concept art")

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Here is a rough sketch of what I had in mind:
    Great Idea.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i actually wouldn't mind if there were no tubes, cause i like seeing the view from the top
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by AGD View Post
    Another bit of detailing I would like to see (although it would probably be more expensive to do than it would be worth) would be to actually make Screamin' look like it's made of wood--basically by adding a "skin" of faux woodgrain panels (painted white) around the existing supports, at least the ones that a guest can see walking through the park.
    I think that's actually far more important. If the idea is to mimic a boardwalk from the early 20th century, you'd see a wooden coaster, not a steel coaster. Now, they did go to the trouble of at least building the supports in the style of a wooden coaster, but they didn't finish the job by making them actually look like wood. If they're sticking with the concept of Paradise Pier, Screamin' should look like this or this.

The scream tubes aren't great, but they honestly don't particularly bother me.

nice idea but I am not sure about clear tubes. I could just imagine the maintenace problems with those. They would look pretty bad in just a few weeks. Not only would the sun make them yellow but they would also get filthy.

I rather they just come up with a new paint scheme and work with what they have to add some detail.

The problem i have with them now is that the lighting on Screamin but especially the tubes have not been maintained properly. to many spotlines turned off or not changing color like they used to and many more light features burnt out.

The bottom supports especially the overhead areas that people cross should also be hidden. The worst one is the one next to the Hot Dog stand. That large section that crosses over the walkway should be hidden behind a nice wood arch. It would help hide all the air and electrical tubes and give the area a better appearance. Oh and please do something about the ugly rails around the main supports on each side of the path

• Not Here / Not Now

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think that's actually far more important. If the idea is to mimic a boardwalk from the early 20th century, you'd see a wooden coaster, not a steel coaster. Now, they did go to the trouble of at least building the supports in the style of a wooden coaster, but they didn't finish the job by making them actually look like wood. If they're sticking with the concept of Paradise Pier, Screamin' should look like this or this.

The scream tubes aren't great, but they honestly don't particularly bother me.
    Eww Texas Giant . But honestly I think CS was really modeled after this: http://cache.rcdb.com/pictures/picmax/p13943.jpg

• Future Princess

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    i actually wouldn't mind if there were no tubes, cause i like seeing the view from the top
    I think a lot of people do, but noise regulations require for them to be there so the screams and shrieks of the riders don't disturb the surrounding houses.

I like the concept sketches! Looks very effective, although I agree with what someone above said about them potentially being red. Would be much more attractive than the horrible teal but more eye catching than plain white.
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

• Established 2005

Why can I not see the concept art?! This is odd.

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessIzzie View Post
    I think a lot of people do, but noise regulations require for them to be there so the screams and shrieks of the riders don't disturb the surrounding houses.

I like the concept sketches! Looks very effective, although I agree with what someone above said about them potentially being red. Would be much more attractive than the horrible teal but more eye catching than plain white.
    Yes, the scream tubes are required by Anaheim regulations (otherwise, I'd be quite happy to get rid of them). That's why I'm partial to having them be white--so they will specifically NOT be eye-catching, and blend into the rest of the structure (since, strictly speaking, they're not supposed to be there!).

• Armchair Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    I think they also need to build a white railing/lattice along points in the track where you can see the Convention Center and such. A simple 4 foot stretch of lattice work would easily block out much of the outside world and would hardly be noticed as you sped by.
    I agree--some cute little Victorian fenceposts and/or flagpoles could still have the rickety look of an old coaster, and effectively block out the outside world. That would also help the scream tubes from sticking out as the only thing over the track of an otherwise minimalist coaster.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Super Duper!

Why not just add wooden (or faux wood) box tunnels, like you'd find on classic roller coasters of the period? Actually... you find them on all wooden coasters, practically. Then you don't have to worry about seeing outside of the park, and they'd be period-appropriate.

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast