Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Can you tell me where this photo was taken at Disneyland?

A coworker is scanning her family pics from their 1971 trip to Disneyland, and she found this gem...

I don't recognize where it was taken, or what the subject matter is. It appears to be the Matterhorn in the top of the picture, but what is the yellow thing behind the waterfall? Where exactly in the park was this shot snapped?

• Banned User

Re: Can you tell me where this photo was taken at Disneyland?

Looks like the waterfall in the subs to me.

•   

It looks like the picture was taken while riding the Mark Twain, and the ride in question is the Mine Train through Nature's Wilderness (or something like that).

• Senior Minion

It was called Cascade Peak and it was part of the Mine Trains.

Correct! this picture was taken in front of Cascade Peak (Which is now long gone) and it has a train from Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland underneath it. It seems like it was taken from the Mark Twain.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Minion

http://www.disneylandpostcards.com/frlminetrain.jpg

The attraction started as Rainbow Caverns Mine Train, opening on July 2, 1956, then was temporarily closed on October 11, 1959, so the Nature's Wonderland area could be built and the track extended, then it reopened May 28, 1960 as Mine Train thru Nature's Wonderland. It closed permanently on January 2, 1977. The waterfalls on Cascade Peak continued to run but by 1998, Cascade Peak had deteriorated to the point where they decided to bulldoze it.

Without the water running, but before Cascade Peak was bulldozed:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_A4grLYnNdu...BPeak%2B01.jpg

Then and now:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_A4grLYnNdu...BPeak%2B12.jpg
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-19-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Thanks for those shots, Bob and Sosai. I was wondering why they took it out, but if it was falling apart, I guess they had no choice. It sure would be nice to have those falls back, though.

• Minion

The falls were LOUD when you were on the train! The train passed behind the first big, wide fall shown in the photo, and the effect from the train was much like the "back side of water" effect when the Jungle Cruise boats pass behind Schweitzer Falls. It was very loud, there was a fine mist in the air, and it seemed like the massive wall of water was just inches away from your face. After that, the train passed in front of other falls on Cascade Peak, including a pair of them were called the Twin Sisters, and the recorded narrator said, "I reckon that's 'cause they're always babblin'." My favorite part of the Mine Train was the Rainbow Caverns at the end, but Cascade Peak was very impressive, like the Matterhorn's little brother but with several more waterfalls.

• Brand new CM!

I learn something new on MC everyday =)
    I Donald Duck!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The falls were LOUD when you were on the train! The train passed behind the first big, wide fall shown in the photo, and the effect from the train was much like the "back side of water" effect when the Jungle Cruise boats pass behind Schweitzer Falls. It was very loud, there was a fine mist in the air, and it seemed like the massive wall of water was just inches away from your face. After that, the train passed in front of other falls on Cascade Peak, including a pair of them were called the Twin Sisters, and the recorded narrator said, "I reckon that's 'cause they're always babblin'." My favorite part of the Mine Train was the Rainbow Caverns at the end, but Cascade Peak was very impressive, like the Matterhorn's little brother but with several more waterfalls.
    Ah, you beat me to the punch line! I was going to tell about the Twin Sisters!

man, I miss that Mine Train! My brother and I used to sit up in the cab of the train when they would let us and ring the bell all the way around. I have a picture of that...somewhere...that needs to be scanned!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Minion

You're so lucky! I never got to sit up front. I was just a kid and did what my Dad told me to. We usually tried to sit in the last car, since that was the one most likely to go by the geyser as it went off, if I recall correctly.

The "Twin Sisters" falls:

http://icanhaspixiedust.files.wordpr...kminetrain.jpg

After Cascade Peak the train went over this trestle, which scared me.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_c4OIkT0wtl...in+tressel.jpg

A remnant of the tunnel in the above picture can still be seen today if you walk between Big Thunder and Fantasyland:

I think they have removed most of the stuff in the picture above and all that's left now is the tunnel itself. If you stand here long enough you might see the "jumping fish" from the water which still works, last I heard.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_OO7WbmARD0...E/s400/c-1.jpg

The train went through the Living Desert, with a saguaro forest, bubbling mud pots, geysers and the balancing rock canyon, where rocks teetered and wobbled above your head.

The ride concluded with a trip through the glorious Rainbow Caverns, designed by Claude Coats, with fountains, geysers and channels of colored fluorescent waters, lit only by blacklights, and requiring six separate plumbing systems, one for each color. A sort of "angelic" music played in the caverns.

After exiting Rainbow Caverns, the train arrived at the loading station at the town of Rainbow Ridge. The small storefronts and buildings there are still visible today behind the loading area for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad.

The train trip was approximately 9 minutes long and the recorded narration was provided by Dallas McKennon, who passed away this last July 14th.
    Last edited by penguinsoda; 11-19-2009 at 10:56 AM. Reason: Hotlinked image

• Disneyland fan since 1967

Those are awesome photos -- stunning quality for 30+ years old. If it weren't for the visitors' hair styles, I'd think this was a brand new attraction.

• Disneymom

cool photos. Thanks for sharing them.

• Mischievous Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by SillySpook View Post
    Those are awesome photos -- stunning quality for 30+ years old. If it weren't for the visitors' hair styles, I'd think this was a brand new attraction.
    That's what I was thinking too.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• "The Musical Quil"

I miss this ride more than any other ever in the park.
    DJ JARVICIOUS
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Electro | Hip-Hop | Top 40 | Funky
    www.Facebook.com/DJJarvicious
    www.SoundCloud.com/DJJarvicious
    Instagram / Twitter: @DJJARVICIOUS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast