Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Embrace the kitsch!

Question DL under new management

In another thread I raised the possibility of DL selling the resort to an outside company and running it as a franchise like the foreign parks.

What would this mean to you? Would it change your view of DL? Would you see DL as "lost forever?" Would you keep your pass? How would it affect DL's ops? More attractions? Fewer?

There's a strong case either way. Tokyo is seen as the gold standard w/ its high level of theming and non-reliance on movie-based attractions. OTOH, Paris is closer to what we have in CA: a main park that has lots of style but little substance and a lackluster second gate.

What do you think?
    Disneyland Historic Preservation Society
    Charter Member

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

Re: DL under new management

No.

• Minion

Sure, if it was sold to a non-profit corporation managed by Disneyland fans.

• I see mouse people

Blog Entries

Let's not go there.

Because I sure as hell wouldn't.

A company like the OLC that would really run the place well would be the only change I'd welcome (or as Bob suggested, a company run by Disneyland fans, though we'd start running out of room to put all the old attractions in :P ) . If it was a company like Six Flags or pretty much any of the other American theme park companies... no thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Sure, if it was sold to a non-profit corporation managed by Disneyland fans.
    If a sale were necessary this is a Great idea, I would be one of the first to sign up to invest.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

They should do that with WDW. Not Disneyland. It would make more sense. Disneyland's losses are a lot more manageable than the losses due to that huge behemoth in Florida.

• Not a Minion

If it were to go under new management, I for one wouldn't just hand it over to a group of huge disneyland fans. No offense to anyone here, but it'd just turn out to be a disaster because we'd be bringing back the old. Walt said that disneyland will never be complete as long as there is imagination and by bringing back old attractions, it goes against that philosophy (from my point of view) and also would probably be bad for business. Bringing back revamped versions of those attractions would be great, but that's a different vibe from what I'm getting from other's postings.

Alos, from a business sense, a disneyland fan management wouldn't be a smart idea in my opinion.

IF new management were to come in, I'd look at wanting to bring a chief creative person to manage the whole thing - a single creative leader to decide what's best for the park and direct it into something that is innovative. Below that person, I'd want to see a strong business leader. This is what I saw in the original Walt and Roy Disney partnership. There was Walt with the strong creative leadership with Roy right behind him to make those creative things happen from a business stance.

Today, it seems that management is heavy on the business side, but with a new president in place and some changes in the upper management for the company itself, I'm curious to see how things will change.

• Cunning infiltrator

Keep the old classics, expand and add new.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

I would be extremely hesitant, but I'd be willing to give them a chance to do as well as Oriental Land Company does. If they can take better care of the park than Disney and Disney retains some veto power I think I would accept it.

• Future Skipper

If it was by the same company that owns TDL, yes.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by ryanvalle View Post
    If it were to go under new management, I for one wouldn't just hand it over to a group of huge disneyland fans. No offense to anyone here, but it'd just turn out to be a disaster because we'd be bringing back the old. Walt said that disneyland will never be complete as long as there is imagination and by bringing back old attractions, it goes against that philosophy (from my point of view) and also would probably be bad for business. Bringing back revamped versions of those attractions would be great, but that's a different vibe from what I'm getting from other's postings.

Alos, from a business sense, a disneyland fan management wouldn't be a smart idea in my opinion.

IF new management were to come in, I'd look at wanting to bring a chief creative person to manage the whole thing - a single creative leader to decide what's best for the park and direct it into something that is innovative. Below that person, I'd want to see a strong business leader. This is what I saw in the original Walt and Roy Disney partnership. There was Walt with the strong creative leadership with Roy right behind him to make those creative things happen from a business stance.

Today, it seems that management is heavy on the business side, but with a new president in place and some changes in the upper management for the company itself, I'm curious to see how things will change.
    I don't know how I would feel about under new management.
    But I do have to comment on the supposed intent of what Disneyland is and isn't (this museum talk that is shoved down our throats when Disney wants us to buy into a move that maybe wasn't wise due to saving money). I see the point of the line (if in full context), but at the same time think you can continue to move forward without destroying history (if Walt really didn't think we should hold on to elements of the past, then main street, Frontierland and Lincoln would have never been built).

Second,
    Not sure if I go along with the suggestion that Disney fans would be creative enough to run a park.
    I actually think when it got down to it, a TRUE disney fan would treat the park with the high respect and make sure the park got the best that it deserves.
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz

• Tech in Training

I would only want it to ever have the possibility of being sold to OLC; no one else.

• We Go On.

^WDW needs OLC desperately. But Disney will not ever sell Disneyland.

• =)

Really just depends on the company. Because I have far more allegiance to Disneyland the theme park than to Disney the company, I really wouldn't necessarily have any problem with Disney no longer owning the park. The key thing is that whoever is running the park needs to be ensuring that the place is constantly improving. Elements that are not functioning as well as they should be are touched up, removed, and/or replaced altogether. New elements are exemplary in every category imaginable - simple fun factor, variety, thematic appropriateness, hourly capacity, marketability, safety, re-rideability, widespread appeal, timelessness, classiness, etc. As long as that's being done, I don't care who's doing it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast