Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• DMTNT

Re: Biggest rip off at Disney.

Don't think the high prices are unique to just Disney parks. I went to Universal Studios over the summer and the prices were quite comparable to Disneyland. The theme park industry knows they have an audience that is willing to pay the prices for a day or week of fun.
    Last edited by DsnyRnr; 11-20-2009 at 01:47 PM. Reason: clarified wording

• Seasick

Quote Originally Posted by MAH4546 View Post
    Corporate greed? Please - if you owned Disney, you would charge the same prices, because like it or not, the prices Disney charges are what the free market accepts.
    True. No one forces anyone to pay Disney's prices. It's not a rip-off if you willingly make the purchase.

A more accurate title for this thread would be "Most overpriced thing at Disneyland", at least based on how I answered.

A $6 hot dog didn't rip me off because I most certainly didn't buy one.
    My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

• Banned User

Corporate greed? Please - if you owned Disney, you would charge the same prices, because like it or not, the prices Disney charges are what the free market accepts.
    If I owned Disney? Honestly, no I wouldn't charge the same prices. I would not be an executive who thinks he will be at another company in five years, so he has to make decisions for the short term. I would be better able to think in the long term, and that means offering good value for the money in order to build long term customer loyalty, and foster repeat business. That way, I wouldn't have to bribe people (offering cheap APs) to keep showing up for a devalued product. They would come because of the overall excellent and magical experience, with no rip offs.

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

This just in, ladies and gentlemen:

Enchanted Cottage now Troubadour Tavern

Was this operation opened in response to the OP's question?

• Herr Ducktor!

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    This just in, ladies and gentlemen:

Enchanted Cottage now Troubadour Tavern

Was this operation opened in response to the OP's question?
    $4.39 for an ear of corn on the cob? That has GOT to be an experiment on just how much the market will bear. Oy.

I can't say I personally buy things I would feel ripped off for, but the hot dog is definitely not worth it. And ticket prices sure, but I'd never buy a one-day park hopper. So I can't say that I find it a rip-off, you should be smart enought to NOT buy it in the first place. Without them selling any, why would they keep them up for sale?

Particularly, the price you pay for going on weekends. No thank you. Never done it, never plan to. Enjoyment and ambience gone from your admission.
    -"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

• Planning my next trip...

$3 for the 10 seconds and 2 cents worth of thread to stitch a name on a hat with a machine. The fee would have been a little more acceptable when the stitching was done partially by hand. At least I know that the extra money would have been going towards the employees medical insurance for their inevitable carpal tunnel treatment.

• Disney/Anime/Furry Fan

Theme park food and merchandise are always expensive and high in price. Also, food quality went kind of downhill in the Disneyland Resort.

The food prices and combo are weak and they rip off. If they would add more side dishes along with the price. It will be kind of worth it.

I've seen some guests secretly bring their own homemade food to Disneyland from their backpacks.

• DMTNT

This thread reminds me of one of the ancient scriptures uncovered on the walls on the Temple of Mara... "If you charge it, they will pay."

• Sock Puppet

Yep!

No one is holding a gun to anyones' head to purchase hotel rooms, food, souveniers or even ponchos while they are enjoying the Park.

People choose to pay for stuff within the Park mostly based on convenience and desire (as in souveniers). And the fine folks at Disney know that.

Hence, the current prices.

Don't like the prices? Don't just whine about them, don't pay them!

If more folks did just that, the suits at Disney might get the message.

Yes, it really is that simple!

• Sharing a Paopu Fruit

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CinderellaStory View Post
    Ponchos. They know you want one. They stamp "Disney Parks" on them. They charge a ridiculous amount for a garment you wear for about 5 minutes, and will likely throw away before the day is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolMickey View Post
    Yep!

No one is holding a gun to anyones' head to purchase hotel rooms, food, souveniers or even ponchos while they are enjoying the Park.

People choose to pay for stuff within the Park mostly based on convenience and desire (as in souveniers). And the fine folks at Disney know that.

Hence, the current prices.

Don't like the prices? Don't just whine about them, don't pay them!

If more folks did just that, the suits at Disney might get the message.

Yes, it really is that simple!
    Can't say I've ever bought anything at Disneyland that I thought was a rip off. I've certainly never bought a poncho there.

This is a good example. $6.29 for a baked potato. Thats got to be a 1000% markup. People keep paying it so its got to be worth it right?

• Minion

And what about the 99 to put a slice of tomato on your burger?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by cromag View Post

This is a good example. $6.29 for a baked potato. Thats got to be a 1000% markup. People keep paying it so its got to be worth it right?
    I look at it the other way. If you really want a potato with Broccoli & cheese you can get one at Wendy's for $2.89. Now, leaving the park, driving there, ordering and eating it would probably cost you over an hour. Is losing an hour worth saving a little over $3? Unless Wendy's adds the Matterhorn I'd say no.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    A $72 ticket to DCA only, on a day it's only open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. How many such tickets do they sell?
    Yeah, that's really the only thing I agree with. For the most part I think that Disneyland has some pretty decent prices throughout the park. Other theme parks charge a lot more for food and beverages and such, so I'm not complaining. However, I'm also only paying for myself and not a large family.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast