Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Disneyland Deaths

Based on the number of deaths at Disneyland, it's probably about 1,000 times more likely that you'll be killed in your car on the way to the park. Seems kind of funny that people think certain rides are tarnished by the deaths, yet the car ride to the happiest place on Earth is all fine and dandy. I wonder how many people have been killed on their way to Disneyland. I'd bet dollars to donuts the numbers FAR outweigh the actual deaths IN the park.

• Faerie Godmother

Inch for inch, Disneyland is one of the safest places on the planet. Out of half a billion guests there have been what, maybe twenty deaths? Maybe that many. The great majority of which were the result of the guest's own reckless disregard for safety rules. Don't be an idiot and your chances of getting killed or maimed at Disneyland are negligible.
    Like this post? Read more like it at The Disneyland Dilettante!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I Love Disney, but they SERIOUSLY Screwed up with the BTMRR incedent...

TOO much of budget cuts, and not enough training....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I didn't hear about the BTMRR incident, what happened there?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by phi1215 View Post
    I didn't hear about the BTMRR incident, what happened there?
    USATODAY.com - Man killed in roller coaster accident at Disneyland

• Disneyland fan since 1967

It's surely sad to think about the families and friends who lost loved ones at DL - and thankfully, only a dozen or so have died in the 54 years it's been open.

I have to say, though, and I know I should put on my flame-retardant suit before I say it: If I had to die unexpectedly and suddenly, I couldn't think of a better place to do it than Disneyland. Just as long as I don't see it coming.

Ignorance -- and Disneyland -- is bliss.

I have never been injured at Disneyland, but did have a car accident on my way there once. I always feel completely safe at Disneyland. Even though I was there the day of the BTMRR accident, I rode it immediately after it reopened. I knew it would be the safest ride in the park!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Quote Originally Posted by BrodyDanger View Post
    Based on the number of deaths at Disneyland, it's probably about 1,000 times more likely that you'll be killed in your car on the way to the park. Seems kind of funny that people think certain rides are tarnished by the deaths, yet the car ride to the happiest place on Earth is all fine and dandy. I wonder how many people have been killed on their way to Disneyland. I'd bet dollars to donuts the numbers FAR outweigh the actual deaths IN the park.

Yeah, it (sadly) seems like everytime we hear about a fatality involving a family on our local roadways around the Holidays, it's a family returning from Disneyland!

They are usually within a few miles of getting home when the crash occurs...

Personally, since folks pretty much die everywhere, we don't think about it or worry about it while enjoying the Park.

It seems that most of the deaths involved folks not following directions, breaking the rules and doing foolish and/or unsafe things. It's Darwin's job to sort them out...

• Peaches and Dreams

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    It seems that most of the deaths involved folks not following directions, breaking the rules and doing foolish and/or unsafe things. It's Darwin's job to sort them out...
    unfortunately the world keeps making Darwin's job harder

•   
    • Sponge & A Rusty Spanner

Of course Disneyland has a profit motive. I'm glad for it, because without a profit motive, Walt would never have gotten the financial backing for it, and it would never have existed. Because of the profits it has earned, Disney has been able to bring amazing innovations to their parks and their other entertainment ventures, and I have happily forked over some of that money in exchange for the tremendous enjoyment their offerings have brought to me and my family.

They sometimes make decisions that frustrate me, in particular, taking away products (VMK, the Skyway, etc.) that I really enjoyed, but it still beats the best entertainment I've ever seen offered by a non-profit organization.
    Fight On! Beat the Red Wolves!

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge Quote of the Week:

[None]
    The brick walls are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough - Randy Pausch

• world class bilge rat

I've spent 35 years in the construction trades. Every day, nationwide, about a half-dozen or so construction workers bite the big one.

Believe me, my personal safety is at the forefront of my mind every second that I'm on a job, as well as anywhere else.

That being said, I'm also a firm believer in the idea that when your number is up, you're done.

Given those thoughts, I feel pretty safe at DL. I don't do stupid things (like try to wiggle out of the safety bars), I just enjoy the rides as they were meant to be enjoyed.

While I certainly understand the mindset of shying away from rides where people have been killed, the reality is that those rides are now very likely the safest ones in the entire park. Especially if the disaster was caused by DL personnel.

Overall, I honestly believe that DL is one of the safest places anywhere.

Rob

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i should probably show this thread to my boyfriend

he likes to slightly break the disneyland rules,
    i like to enforce them
    so hence i can't ride splash mountain with him (for obvious reasons)
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

The park had a nearly spotless record for its first few decades, with most incidents attributable to guest stupidity and/or guests breaking the rules (the guy standing up on the Matterhorn, guys jumping out of the PeopleMover on Grad Night, one guy tried to break into the park by climbing the Monorail track, guys hiding out on Tom Sawyer Island and then trying to swim across the river at night, that sort of thing). Almost all incidents were caused by the guest. The only cast member death, as far as I know, was Debbie Stone at America Sings on July 8, 1974, apparently accidental but nobody saw it happen so nobody knows for certain exactly how it was caused. David Koenig wrote an article about it. But with the incidents at Roger Rabbit, Columbia and Big Thunder all of which were clearly not caused by the guests involved, that seemed to turn the tide and point the blame at the park instead. I don't believe there is any true accident, that any incident is the result of a series of bad decisions and circumstances leading up to it, and that almost any incident was preventable.

• =)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I don't believe there is any true accident, that any incident is the result of a series of bad decisions and circumstances leading up to it, and that almost any incident was preventable.
    The word "accident" refers to an event being unintentional, not unavoidable. If one tries hard enough, one can avoid almost any accident, barring perhaps death by cataclysmic natural disaster, but the effort involved in doing that would be enormous. Can you really claim that in your life, you never make any of those bad decisions? We all do it, though to wildly differing degrees. If you're hurriedly driving your pregnant wife to the hospital on a very foggy night and you end up rear-ending another car because of the low visibility, it's an accident. Yes, you could have (and should have!) avoided it by driving at a speed appropriate to the low visibility, but there wasn't any ill will on your part. It wasn't intentional.

This is all just food for thought, though. Clearly, I would not condone anything that led to Disney not performing the proper maintenance and/or training that could have prevented the (remarkably few) deaths that have not occurred due to guest stupidity.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast