Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• Suspended

Re: Disneyland Deaths

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    WJNM basically said everything I could possibly think of adding to the discussion. But for anyone curious as to where all the deaths happened, here:

snopes.com: Disneyland Deaths
    If the references in snopes are correct, with the exception of the Columbia dock incident and the Thunder Mountain accident, the other deaths were the result of dumb-a$$ guests actions creating an unsafe condition that caused their own deaths.

• Mischievous Mouse

Nope!

I actually don’t think about all the accidents that have happened over the last 50 years on the 20 mile stretch of I-5 I drive every weekday either.

What would be the point?!

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together."

-Walt Disney

• Herr Ducktor!

Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Of course Disneyland has a profit motive. I'm glad for it, because without a profit motive, Walt would never have gotten the financial backing for it, and it would never have existed. Because of the profits it has earned, Disney has been able to bring amazing innovations to their parks and their other entertainment ventures, and I have happily forked over some of that money in exchange for the tremendous enjoyment their offerings have brought to me and my family.

They sometimes make decisions that frustrate me, in particular, taking away products (VMK, the Skyway, etc.) that I really enjoyed, but it still beats the best entertainment I've ever seen offered by a non-profit organization.
    Very well said, Steamboat! Walt used profits from the cartoon shorts to pay for the features, and profits from the features to pay for the original park, and profits from the park to pay for the 1959 upgrade, and so on and so forth. He gets derided as some sort of capitalist ogre, but it's really amazing how little money he spent on himself. I don't idolize the man, but I do deeply admire his willingness to keep gambling one success for the sake of another. Can't think of too many others who risked so much, so often, and for abstract notions like a new form of entertainment.

As far as businesses go, running a theme park like DLR isn't the most profitable proposition. Taking a dollar toy and selling it for seven dollars, because it has a Hannah Montana logo--that's profitable. I'm no big fan of those teenybop franchises, but if Disney didn't have them we'd be paying a LOT more for Disneyland. Or we'd be visiting only in our memories.
    Last edited by von Drake; 11-24-2009 at 05:03 PM.

I KNOW that--as much as I hate lawsuits--they are one of the driving factors keeping Disneyland safe.

That being said, I don't think it's very reasonable to avoid an attraction just because of an accident. Disney has some of the highest safety standards of any theme park. The accidents we hear about all the time are because (a) more guests attend Disney parks, and (b) Disney has a much higher public profile than, say, Six Flags, so accidents at Disney make greater news.

I can honestly say that I have thought about accidents while on rides; however, I forget about it the moment I let myself enjoy Disneyland instead of worrying "What could go wrong??".
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

I've never let the history of a death in the park reduce my enjoyment of it. I know that they keep the park as safe as they can, and that I can't really anticipate dangers if the dangers are unseen. The Columbia incident and the Big Thunder incident were things the people could not have foreseen.

Those particular incidents are unlikely to repeat and any future dangers are likely to be unseeable as well, from the guest's point of view.

So I'm as careful as I can be driving to the park, I follow the rules, and call it good.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    The Columbia incident and the Big Thunder incident were things the people could not have foreseen.
    Maybe not Forseen, but BOTH could have been prevented with using your "Head". Not buying the right type of rope was the cause of the Columbia Incident, and the BTMRR incident was due to cutting back on Maintenance, and folks that couldn't understand the Red, Yellow and Green signage. Neither of which is excusable....

Yes, I will ride plenty of coasters in my future, but I still can't excuse the fact that Disney seriously screwed up on these incidents....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Future Cast Member

When I go on rides that have had accidents at a Disney park, I feel just as, if not more, comfortable riding them, because I know with each mistake, they learn, and can prevent making mistakes with future attractions or areas of the park.

• ...is busy, please hold.

Sorry if I sound macabre here,

but haven't two or three children drowned in Rivers of America; trying to free swim it back from TSI?
    Don't think of a gun as a weapon.
    Think of it as a third arm that magically
    shoots bullets!

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I would say the Tom Sawyer story is a rumor, not true. Also, after an incident is probably the safest time to go on a ride, new parts, and more attention then previous to the incident.
    Yaye!

• "Always On The Move..."

Wish I could remember where I saw it...but there was an article a number of years ago titled: Waiting In Line To Die At The Magic Kingdom

It was all about the deaths at Disneyland.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Who doesn't love NAPs?

Quote Originally Posted by AlohaStitch View Post
    Wish I could remember where I saw it...but there was an article a number of years ago titled: Waiting In Line To Die At The Magic Kingdom

It was all about the deaths at Disneyland.
    There's a link to it on the first post of this thread.

• "Always On The Move..."

Quote Originally Posted by lobeobann View Post
    There's a link to it on the first post of this thread.
    Thanks. I just saw the link said "Deaths/Disney Deaths"...didn't realize it was the same article.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Animatronic

I have to say that article is biased. "innocently attempted to change cars..." How do you innocently break obvious rules and endanger your life? The island "beckons innocent park guests to their deaths..." Wow, that's some serious beckoning. I suspect the Churros have beckoned far more park guests to their death.

Perhaps Disneyland should make every guest take a safety quiz before allowing them to enter. I'd actually prefere that over having everything rubberized. That and using every technology and trick possible to make sure that when guests follow directions, they are safe.
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

• Disneylander in Arizona!

I reconcile the deaths in Disneyland by knowing that at any moment I could die, whether it's in "the happiest place on Earth" or I could die just walking to my car during the summer. To be honest once I came to understand that fact (as I think most people do to an extent) you go about the business of living. You know full well there are risks, and at any moment it could be your last. But there's joy and adventures to be had each and every day, so what's the point of living if you don't take the risk and go out and seize them.
    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
    ***Next trip to the Disneyland® Resort***
    ***May 9, 2012***

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    I have to say that article is biased. "innocently attempted to change cars..." How do you innocently break obvious rules and endanger your life? The island "beckons innocent park guests to their deaths..." Wow, that's some serious beckoning. I suspect the Churros have beckoned far more park guests to their death.
    I believe the author was being ironic.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast