Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: The Little Bridge into Carnation Plaza Gardens

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    Two reasons, both subjective. One, it wasn't necessary for the bridge railing to be higher. And two, the end result is less pleasing to the eye than what it replaced.

I would argue that "less is more" applies here. If you look at the Carnation Plaza area, including the sign, there isn't very much ornate decor. It's tastefully plain, by design, because it is a part of the central hub and the border between two lands. These places are themed low-key, to ease the thematic transitions.

I think the bridge railing would be more suited in New Orleans Square, and even then I would take issue with the design of it as well as the rock pillars on the ends.
    I agree with you, 2DieFr. And I'll probably get in trouble for saying it.

Frogs in a boiling pot do not feel the difference between 78 and 79 degrees. It all feels nice and warm to them.

More of Walt's Park cast assunder--to the delight of many....
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 11-23-2009 at 06:49 PM.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post

I'm not sure which version I prefer. They both have their plusses and minuses.

The old railing makes sense because of this location's proximity to the entrance of Frontierland. These railings are a combination of what you might find in 1910 small town America, and a more rustic old-western frontier setting.

On the other hand the newer design makes the area at least to me look more like an entrance to a park in a 1910 small American town. So in that regard it could be considered an extension of Main Street sandwiched in between the entrance to Frontierland and the castle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    Thanks for the update. I've always liked that area. We have family photos going back 40 years of us in that area, even with the swans in the castle moat in the background. I still like walking around there and seeing the waterways, ducks and turtles. It's pretty and very park-like. My Mom used to go to the Plaza Gardens to see the likes of Duke Ellington, Lionel Hampton, Count Basie and Stan Kenton perform at the stage there.

It's amazing to know which great musicians performed on that little stage. I might have the wrong theatre in making this comparison, but it's that little non-descript stage that rivals the great stages like Carnegie Hall. It is truly amazing!

I had a chuckle during the Princess and the Frog Show that is on the Mark Twain. At one point they start singing about Louis Armstrong. It is amazing knowing that he actually performed on that boat!

I think it looks very nice.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    I agree with you, 2DieFr. And I'll probably get in trouble for saying it.

Frogs in a boiling pot do not feel the difference between 78 and 79 degrees. It all feels nice and warm to them.

More of Walt's Park cast assunder--to the delight of many....
    Everything is RUINED FOREVER! OH NOES!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Minion

The list of famous bands that played there is impressive:

Big Band Library: Research Topics "Big Bands At Disneyland"

I know it's off-topic, but this photo shows Duke Ellington and Count Basie sitting at a piano in Disneyland (1964):

Last edited by Bob Weaver; 11-23-2009 at 07:47 PM.

• Minion

I think it looks a lot better. Maybe it doesn't look as much like the country, but this area isn't supposed to be the country. The rock pillars, new slats, and intricate railing makes the area look more inviting and also acts as a weinie. It invites guests to take a closer look at the bridge. I think it is a nice improvement and also applaud Disney for taking the time and money into fixing something that is very easily overlooked.

• GO DBACKS!!

Comparing the side-by-side pics I find the right more inviting. The other one may be more like the original but to me it looks cheap and unfinished. I prefer the upgrade.

It wasn't me, it was Lisa!

• Banned User

My brother is actually playing in the carnation cafe soon for x-mas handbells at his school. =D

I find this thread very entertaining to read.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

The new bridge looks nice.

...For a modern-day housing tract, apartment complex, community park, or shopping center.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

...For a modern-day housing tract, apartment complex, community park, or shopping center.
    Unexpected.

• It's all about Theme!

While I do agree the bridge needed an overhaul, I think that Disney went a bit too far with it, just in a nostalgic sense.

It's been there since the dawn of Disneyland, I don't think so dramatic a change was necessary.
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

First of all thank you for putting the before and after pictures up so we can get a good visual on the changes!

Personally, I think I'm in the same category as DIP. Visually I actually like both of them, ascetically they both look nice in their own way. What makes me sad is that they felt they had to totally change something that had been there, or had been there in the same form from almost day one. From a historic standpoint, I like the original. Yes yes I know Disneyland is not a museum and progress much happen, but its still sad to see history removed.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Dive ..... Dive.....

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post

That's the same exact impression I get from the new bridge. It may have been done with good material but as usual, there is no passion from the designer. It doesn't look like there was any attempt to recreate the original, unlike the arch bridge. The materials are a step in the right direction though.
    Last edited by Seawolf; 11-23-2009 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustysage View Post
    I was with Fishy when the photo of the new bridge was taken. I actually like it. The newness of the wood slats make it a little out of place, but I thought it looked nice. And I'm not one to suppress my feelings about the park.

I suppose it is one of those things that you may not like until you get use to seeing it. But it really seems like an upgrade to me.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

I agree with you, when i first saw it something looked odd but then i realized how well it fit with the rest of the carnation plaza area. the rockpillars fit the surrounding walls and it really creates a nice elegant entrance into the area. The lush landscape around it really compliments it well. I do think that it might have worked better if it was a little lower and the fencing had a bit more detail but for some reason i think they change dit because of safety. I have seen more and more children leaning thru the old fencing to look down into the water

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast