Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Re: The Little Bridge into Carnation Plaza Gardens

I think the new bridge is period fitting, the rock columns should have been grey in my opinion to make it more authentic of the time period, but I think the overall design of the metal part is just fine
    Yaye!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

I guess they must have had their reasons (one of their lawyers maybe spotted some liability, OSHA perhaps) but I'm with Oogie here. I think it's also a matter of scale, if you take into consideration the castle and Main Street. It USED to be a footbridge, a garden or pathway bridge, most of which are scaled down versions of larger bridges that could handle horses or cars. As the scale has now been increased, and the bars have been placed close together with the specific purpose of keeping kids from falling in, I believe you lose quite a bit of the charm that was once there.

It would be interesting to see what prompted this. DID a kid fall in, or is Disney responding to a recent complaint from one of their insurance folks?

Hmmm...

• Indiana Scott

I like the new one better ~ it looks more at home in a garden area with its stone posts and intricate iron work. Just my opinion though.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    For me .. it's not an argument whether it looks fine or not. It does look fine. But not necessarily ... if you want to recreate "Turn of the century - America" as authentic as possible. The older bridge is what you would build.

I've watched enough old movie musicals that take place around 1890-1910 where pain-staking thought was applied to make the most authentic, charming, warmest, and most "intimate" designs possible.

The Music Man, Meet me in St. Louis, On Moonlight Bay, .. the list goes on.
    The thing is that these movies were not made in 1890-1910. So even Americana as portrayed in those movies are not entirely accurate. In fact I would think if you asked a historian who is an expert on that time period they would point out many inaccuracies in those films. You don't see Moulin Rouge and assume that in the 1890s Madonna styled pop songs were what was actually being sung.

Now that time has passed I am thinking that the new design is better. Sure I would rather keep the old one due to its historical significance but the new design makes more sense archtectrally. In the old design you have an elaborate iron entry way but then you have a simple wooden fence. There's too much inconcruency there. The new design, with it's wrought iron fencing, justifies the entry arch and gives is more justification for being there. The old design accents the entry arch a little too much while the new design tones it down a bit, making it stick less out which for some reason I prefer.

• Minion

I remember as a kid many of the walkways were very smooth, either concrete that was painted over or just colored concrete. Last time we were there I noticed how many walkways have textured surfaces, and I assume that's to prevent slip-and-fall incidents and the resultant lawsuits.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Woo!!! This is a lot of passion for a bridge.
    Wouldn't be the only one.

There's a bridge in San Francisco that a lot of people seem to go crazy over as well.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The new bridge looks nice.

...For a modern-day housing tract, apartment complex, community park, or shopping center.
    It looked nice before.... for a railroad bridge.
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

• Banned User

I love the new bridge, its way more detailed and beautiful.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

I like it, don't love it just like it. I liked the old bridge, didn't love it I liked it. At least it doesn't look out of place.

• Please pull the yellowtab

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Woo!!! This is a lot of passion for a bridge.
    It's funny how I actually never realized it was a bridge and I pass through Carnation Plaza all the time to avoid the crowd around the castle. I always thought it was just a walkway with a low border fence.

For me, I'm glad they improved it. It looks nice and makes it more obvious that you are actually crossing over into the plaza.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

There's a bridge in San Francisco that a lot of people seem to go crazy over as well.
    That's funny, we have a bridge here in Redding Ca, the Sundial Bridge built by Santiago Calatrava, talk about passion, people blog on our local newspaper website about, it's a 50/50 love hate draw, as with anything, you can't win them all!
    Yaye!

• Closed Account

If safety and lawsuit-avoidance are going to continue being used to justifying the removal of every subtle Park detail, then perhaps it would be easier just to institute a new dress code for guest safety:

• Nope! No grown-ups here!

For those that say that the columns and wrought iron don't fit in the environment, I present Exhibit A)

If you look into the background of that picture, you'll see a very similar looking, wrought iron and stone column fence, in a park that I daresay was intended to appear as though it was from the turn of the century. As a matter of fact, I would guess that the portrayed scene intentionally borrowed heavily from the styling of Carnation Plaza and the surrounding area. And yes, there are also scenes in that same park that use the more basic style of fence that was previously used on the bridge.

So, in my opinion, I don't think that there really is any disparity in the look of the new bridge and it's surroundings. If anything, I think it fits better with the ornate sign above.
    Dead Mice Tell No Tails!

• Kingdom Comedian

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

Good call...I'd say this 12 foot foot bridge and the Golden Gate Bridge, one of the most famous man made structures in America if not the world, are directly comparable.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by BiggestDisneyFan View Post
    For those that say that the columns and wrought iron don't fit in the environment, I present Exhibit A)

If you look into the background of that picture, you'll see a very similar looking, wrought iron and stone column fence..
    yes...as you note, it's a fence. Surrounding a park. Not a bridge railing.

There is a bridge shown later in the Jolly Holliday sequence, and it looks nothing like this...fence.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast