Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

So....What's the deal with Mickey and Friends?

So...I got to the park around 9:45 AM this morning (Tues, 11/24) and....aLL of the traffic was again being diverted from Mickey and Friends to the farther lots. I know this came up before recently, but as I passed by the structure, I looked back and it wasn't CLOSE to half full. The third level and top levels were completely empty, and something tells me the fourth wasn't that full either.

On top of this, when I left at 12:30, all entrances to the structure were still blocked off.

And this is one of the busiest weeks of the year.

Now...I think it was mentioned before that they want to SAVE these spots for the AP crowds which show up later in the day. But....what are they really doing here? Do they really have LESS of a traffic problem if 4000 cars show up and try to smash into Mickey and Friends all at the same time, especially when the ticket booths are under staffed and the lines go all the way back to Ball and over the freeway?

It just seems to me that the folks who come in the morning should expect to be able to park in Mickey and Friends and not have to add another 20 or whatever minutes to their morning driving all the way to the outer lots where they may or may not find a tram or bus waiting to take them to the park. If people show up at 7 pm, I would think they would be expecting to have to deal with the fact that there are less spaces.

Am I missing something here? It seems that Disney is punishing those who have come for the full day, and rewarding those who just pop in for the fireworks and some shopping. I don't get it. Especially if you consider that our recent discussions around here are suggesting that the AP crowd is not spending as much as those who are from out of town and who are there for the full day at full price. Is it wise to send the out of town folks driving all over Anaheim when it might be their first time to the park?

Or did they close it for some other reason??

(The crowds this morning were quite sizable. When I left, there were several gridlocked spots, including the area in front of POTC, Adventureland (big surprise) and quite a bit of Main Street. Not sure about wait times, but I'd say the crowd was about three times what you would normally see on a Tuesday morning.)
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-25-2009 at 07:03 AM.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Re: So....What's the deal with Mickey and Friends?

It's a cluster F and I think it will remain one for the majority of 2010 as well. I already trained myself to avoid Mickey & friends at all costs.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Yikes! And this is on a weekday when most of the local crowd is still working. If it is going to be this bad now I wonder how bad it is going to get after Thanksgiving.

I went to the park this past Saturday and the M&F entrance was open at 5pm.

• Hukuna Matata!

I think parking should be first come first serve, I really miss timone and pumba, I used to jump right out of my truck hop right on the tram and after a long day at the park would just hop right out and be gone in a flash, Like the rare days of Disneyland being slow those days are gone

• Please pull the yellowtab

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Daddy View Post
    So...I got to the park around 9:45 AM this morning and....aLL of the traffic was again being diverted from Mickey and Friends to the farther lots. I know this came up before recently, but as I passed by the structure, I looked back and it wasn't CLOSE to half full. The third level and top levels were completely empty, and something tells me the fourth wasn't that full either.

On top of this, when I left at 12:30, all entrances to the structure were still blocked off.

And this is one of the busiest weeks of the year.
    I've been quite worried about this issue ever since Christmas time at DLR started. I plan on being there tomorrow. I'll be waking up early and arriving 30 min. before opening hours. Hopefully they will allow us to park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndStar2theRight View Post
    I've been quite worried about this issue ever since Christmas time at DLR started. I plan on being there tomorrow. I'll be waking up early and arriving 30 min. before opening hours. Hopefully they will allow us to park in the Mickey and Friends parking structure.
    That's probably the best strategy. We do this almost every time and manage to park outside the structure right next to the tram stop's side entrance. I can't imagine why they would block M&F prior to the gates opening and then re-direct people to the outer lots first. That's just bad customer service.

• Banned User

The last couple of times I've gone M&F has been open in the afternoons (around 1-3PM) so I think that's the strategy. Maybe since there's less traffic in the late mornings, it'd better to pile cars in the farther lots to have everything run smoother and save M&F to handle the onslaught of APs.

• Queen Elsa

We where there on Sunday and we park at Mickey and friends and that was around 1:30 so don't know why they block it for you.

•   
    • RCMC: Java Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by brenden View Post
    The last couple of times I've gone M&F has been open in the afternoons (around 1-3PM) so I think that's the strategy. Maybe since there's less traffic in the late mornings, it'd better to pile cars in the farther lots to have everything run smoother and save M&F to handle the onslaught of APs.
    Are you serious?? "It's better to pile cars in the farther lots." I don't think its fair that the structure should be closed down when their is plenty of parking left and I'm talking entire levels with NO cars in it. It should be run on a first come first served basis. The crowds of inflow CAN be handled provided you have enough cast members to handle it, from the ticket booths to the ones who are directing the parking. Also they should fill row by row. Meaning tuck one car in behind the other front back, front back when going down the aisle and then go to the next row. But they don't, they fill only the front row and leave the back open and go to the next. I have suggested to a parking cast member to use that way and he just smiled. Filling the structure can be done that way and safely provided that everyone FOLLOWED DIRECTION and showed COURTESY. But for whatever reason people don't and that's when accidents happen. I mean I thought we all were trying to get to DLR. To me Disney NEEDS to make more parking structures and close by. Their planning in that is behind, it should've long been done after they opened California Adventure. Disney should easily have 3 Mickey & Friends parking structures.

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

KIDS OFF SCHOOL ALL THIS WEEK!
    Now you know were your TAX money going! lol
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Don't lets be silly! șoș

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    It's a cluster F and I think it will remain one for the majority of 2010 as well. I already trained myself to avoid Mickey & friends at all costs.
    Try 2013

• Kingdom Comedian

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    Wait...the Mickey and Friends lot is paid for by our taxes? I didn't know that. Seems like parking should be free then.

• You didn't see anything!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleman View Post
    I don't know what school districts you're near, but my brother has school until Thursday and also has Friday off.

I also believe that it should be first come, first serve and I HATE it when they do half a row. Just fill up one level and go to the next.

Quote Originally Posted by timbabbcomedian View Post
    Wait...the Mickey and Friends lot is paid for by our taxes? I didn't know that. Seems like parking should be free then.
    I think they meant school is payed for by us. Not the parking structure!

But we always show up between 10-12 and have no problems getting into M&F. When did this start? We just went Sunday.

• Kingdom Comedian

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    I think they meant school is payed for by us. Not the parking structure!
    Yeah I was being intentionally obtuse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast