• Minion

Red Face Space Mountain backwards & Air System

ok, at the end of DLR's Space Mountain, who think that it feels like it's going backwards. I know for sure it doesn't go backwards but who FEELS like it does.

I think it's the lighting or the VERY strong air conditioning system makes it feel backwards.(I know for sure throughout the whole entire ride they have the conditioning air system.) So all that fast wind on the ride is not real.

Re: Space Mountain backwards & Air System

I have never felt that but my family has felt that before and they thought it went backwards too.

The flash at the end blinds you; then the lights at the end go forwards, making seem as though you're going backwards. I know how you feel, It weirds me out everytime haha. And then all of the sudden you realize you're going forwards into the station.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• =)

It's a great little effect - all around you, there are streaks of light zipping forward faster than you are, and you're simultaneously decelerating, which makes you feel like you're being pushed forward in your seat, exactly as you'd feel if you were starting to go backwards. Couple that with the blinding flash, and you've got yourself a great end to a great ride!

• We Go On.

Yes- Great simple effect that gets overlooked but, as Datameister says, it's a great end. I don't know if I've ever felt the wind, but I definitely have been concious of the effect. It makes the turn-around to the station much more dramatic as well.

• Bring back the Keelboats!

The effect that sometimes gets me is the long 'up' tunnel with the whirlpool lights at the end. If you stare at them and tilt your head, it feels like the whole ride is tilting to that side. I can't look at them at all!

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

• Yeah.....

Even the "view screen" above the station works well if you concentrate hard enough on it. I've gotten the whole room to spin before, it was pretty disorienting!

• I'm not really here

I love this part of the ride. It's a beautifully disorienting effect that is elegantly simple

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Future Cast Member

I love the end of the ride, too! I can't really describe the feeling, but its sort of like a mix of a drop, going backwards, and spinning.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    It's a great little effect - all around you, there are streaks of light zipping forward faster than you are, and you're simultaneously decelerating, which makes you feel like you're being pushed forward in your seat, exactly as you'd feel if you were starting to go backwards. Couple that with the blinding flash, and you've got yourself a great end to a great ride!
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

Yeah, it's awesome. And I think it's helped even more by the violent tight turns at the end of the ride.

• =)

For sure. And the music builds quite dramatically going through those turns, with the effect in question being scored by big perfect fifths. That really increases the effectiveness.

• Banned User

The whole experience really helped contribute to the final effect in Ghost Galaxy.

• We Go On.

Space Mountain is just pure genius. I don't think there's any other way to put it. Everything in the ride is classic Imagineering at its best, in my opinion.

• Pongo is my hero.

It should like The Mummy or Everest

one hundred and one