• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

Fireworks in front of the hub question

First of all, I am SO sorry if this question has come up a thousand times, but I'm on my iPhone and it's tough to search on this thing. After years of going to Disneyland, this is my first time camping out in front of the castle as the kids are with grandma. I have my tripod set up in front of the railing on the right side near the center. Will they tell everyone in front of me to sit, or should I mush my way up to the curb? I've been looking for security, but no one is here & it's starting to fill up. Little help?

• MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Always watching...

Re: Fireworks in front of the hub question

Last time I waited in front of the hub (and it's been a while), they made everyone stand up about 10-15 mins before the show. They use to make everyone stay seated, but I guess they figured more people could squish in if everyone is standing.

Good luck getting your pictures, and enjoy the show!

• I'm A Cult Hero

Yeah, if the sidewalk on the castle side is open and has people walking on it then everyone must stand.
    Beware the Jabberwock, my son!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Thanks for the help you guys. I mushed up to the front and everyone is standing. But... Now it's starting to rain.

DOH!
    Last edited by Mac Daddy; 11-28-2009 at 12:08 PM.

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Disneyland in the rain is awesome... unless you're waiting to try to get fireworks pictures...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Nerd

Did they shoot off the fireworks tonight then? Its really windy where I am. no rain yet, but I kinda thought they might cancel the show. That would be a bummer since you been campin out since 730ish.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Did they shoot off the fireworks tonight then? Its really windy where I am. no rain yet, but I kinda thought they might cancel the show. That would be a bummer since you been campin out since 730ish.
    They came really close to canceling the show. You should have heard the groans around me when they gave the "unfavorable weather conditions" announcement about 7 times. They finally decided to let them go around 9:40. There were only a few sprinkles. It was certainly breezy higher up. You could see the smoke drifting over from Fantasmic at a fairly quick rate.

Perhaps it has to do with what direction the wind is blowing, because it looked like they let off a test balloon (not sure if they do that or not) and it moved from West to East pretty quick. You could see the pine trees behind and to the left of the castle swaying a bit. I was surprised that they actually let the show go on, but very happy and grateful after spending 2 1/2 hours sitting on my butt by my tripod waiting for the show to begin.

If anyone tries this in the future, I went right up to the rope by the walkway in the front. They still let people cross in front of you, but they ask everyone to stand at 9 PM (So those folks were standing for about 50 minutes if you include the delay, but nobody cared because they actually went off. )

If you use a tripod and run it up pretty tall and use a long shutter speed, the passing people will disappear. You'll miss a bit of the lower fireworks that are behind the castle (i.e. the Mickey fireworks are about 1/2 way obscured from where I was), but it's kind of neat to get the foreground of the castle with the fireworks.

I think I got some decent shots, and I'll try to get them up some time this week or next. I've got to get those darn lights up around my house today.

Thanks again for your help, VF and Mome. I'm glad I ended up moving forward and directly in front of the caste.