Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

• Minion

Will the DCA Expansion be successful?

Personally nothing seems too exciting.
    even tho it's a $1.1 billion expansion plan it doesn't seem like it.
    I don't like the fact the removed the Mickey Ears on CS, that's the icon of DCA. Also removing the letters is not so smart if you ask me. idk but the retheming part seems useless.

Carsland & Hollywoodland sound genetic.
    btw I think WOC should have a day & nite version instead. kinda like Vegas.

DCA failed once but they could fail again.
    Last edited by DannyLand; 11-28-2009 at 04:44 PM.

• Minion

Re: Will the DCA Expansion be successful?

Well with the addition of many more family rides, the expansion is surly needed. It will bring families a reason to visit DCA. And with the Carsland and Hollywoodland, they are trying to go back to original names of lands e.x. Adventureland, Tomorrowland, Fantasyland, Frontierland....

• Minion

I guess your right about the family part but why did they make A Bugs Land very crappy. They could at least update the existing parts first.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    Carsland & Hollywoodland sound genetic.
    Maybe Cars Land's genes are from Disneyland.

• Disneylander in Arizona!

I think the expansion will succeed as long as it can make the park more accessible for families, by that I mean there should be more low-key slower rides so people who don't like big thrills will have more to do. When me and my family come to visit the Resort there just doesn't seem like there's enough of a reason to give up a day in Disneyland Park to California Adventure. Personally I love going to California Adventure, and I look forward to the expansion. But in my family there are quite a few who do not like it there due to that fact. Here's to 2011 being an awesome year for the park!
    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
    ***Next trip to the Disneyland® Resort***
    ***May 9, 2012***

I think the new Buena Vista street could be really cool, and I like how there will be a Partners statue of a younger Walt and an earlier version of Mickey, hopefully that whole land and entrance to the park will be rad.

And the redo of Hollywoodland should be cool. Right now at the entrance they kind of have some things like old Hollywood, though it looks more like the new Hollywood and Highland additions, but the rest of the land doesn't really keep up that same feel, so hopefully that will be improved too.

The whole Paradise Pier area I think is just flawed in it's concept, design, and layout. The new additions might make it a little more tolerable, but one of the things Walt was very specific about, was that he didn't want anything like all those seedy boardwalk games they have all over... which is Exactly what PP has. Plus, there are all those games you have to pay for in order to play, so really it's just a way for them to try to make as much money as possible. I mean, you can say there are things like that in Disneyland.. but the most they cost is a quarter, for the shooting gallery in Frontierland.

Bug's Land just needs to go and either give room for other lands to expand into, or help create a new land.

Carsland seems the most ridiculous thing ever imagined by Disney. An entire LAND devoted to ONE moderately successful movie! So like.. 50 years from now, when Cars will just be one of the lesser remembered and revered Disney/Pixar movies when compared to ones like Toy Story, DCA will still have an ENTIRE LAND devoted to this one film... Which Doesn't Even Take Place in California!!! It's absolutely a bad decision. (This can and should be said for Bug's Land too, but that land is so small and dinky and a waste of space that it's hardly worth the effort)

So... overall, I think there will be some improvements, but there will also be things that are still bad, or new things put in that really shouldn't be. So in the end, I think it will all be a wash, and DCA will still rank near the bottom if not at the bottom of all the Disney Parks around the world.
    Words any Disney fan and especially Disney employee should live by:

"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."
    -Walt Disney

"Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."
    -Walt Disney

"I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things."
    -Walt Disney

"We did it, Disneyland, in the knowledge that most of the people I talked to thought it would be a financial disaster - closed and forgotten within the first year."
    -Walt Disney

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."
    -Walt Disney

"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse."
    -Walt Disney

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

I'VE never seen the movie Matterhorn is based on, but I love the Disneyland attraction.

RSR is going to be the best attraction at the DLR

• Minion

Sure it will, if they remember what has made Disneyland successful and stick to those principles, and remember what made the original DCA unsuccessful and avoid those principles.

• Disney Fan & Musician

Quote Originally Posted by JamesDusenberry View Post
    I think the new Buena Vista street could be really cool, and I like how there will be a Partners statue of a younger Walt and an earlier version of Mickey, hopefully that whole land and entrance to the park will be rad.

And the redo of Hollywoodland should be cool. Right now at the entrance they kind of have some things like old Hollywood, though it looks more like the new Hollywood and Highland additions, but the rest of the land doesn't really keep up that same feel, so hopefully that will be improved too.

The whole Paradise Pier area I think is just flawed in it's concept, design, and layout. The new additions might make it a little more tolerable, but one of the things Walt was very specific about, was that he didn't want anything like all those seedy boardwalk games they have all over... which is Exactly what PP has. Plus, there are all those games you have to pay for in order to play, so really it's just a way for them to try to make as much money as possible. I mean, you can say there are things like that in Disneyland.. but the most they cost is a quarter, for the shooting gallery in Frontierland.

Bug's Land just needs to go and either give room for other lands to expand into, or help create a new land.

Carsland seems the most ridiculous thing ever imagined by Disney. An entire LAND devoted to ONE moderately successful movie! So like.. 50 years from now, when Cars will just be one of the lesser remembered and revered Disney/Pixar movies when compared to ones like Toy Story, DCA will still have an ENTIRE LAND devoted to this one film... Which Doesn't Even Take Place in California!!! It's absolutely a bad decision. (This can and should be said for Bug's Land too, but that land is so small and dinky and a waste of space that it's hardly worth the effort)

So... overall, I think there will be some improvements, but there will also be things that are still bad, or new things put in that really shouldn't be. So in the end, I think it will all be a wash, and DCA will still rank near the bottom if not at the bottom of all the Disney Parks around the world.
    Watch, the partners statue will be Walt with a very mad Oswald the rabbit. Under the statue will be this picture:
    Follow me on --> Twitter (@soda)

So long as they cling to the lame theme of a park about California IN California I think they're going to have trouble selling the idea.

WoC looks like it's going to be a hit and Carsland ( despite the name ) looks like it will be a great addtion too. Buena Vista street and the Red Car addition looks like a total waste of $$ The money spent on the Paradise Pier area still leaves it as something of an eyesore. The Sun Wheel looked better than having poor Mickey slapped on there like so much corporate spam. I think the Orange Stinger reincarnation is going be a disappointment too. Same ride, new paint job really, Mulhuland Madness too.

I'd like to see the park themed to the Disney Studios with different lands themed to the types of movies Disney makes. Condor flats and the Grizzly River area would go nicely with the True Life Adventures. Bugs Land and Carsland would go with new generation CGI animation. Hollywood backlot would be old school animation and Disney's early movies all themed to the 30's and 40's. Paradise pier area..... yuck. Not sure where that fits in.

And the entrance would be as if you were entering an old school art deco era theatre. Just inside the turnstiles would be the lobby with an info desk and guest services desk. The entrance into the park would be as if you were entering the theatre wherein you become part of the picture.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Nope... They'll fail...

Unfortunately, the fundamental problems with DCA lie in the layout and look of the park, and if they don't change that... We still have a crappy theme park.

Oh well. You win some, you lose some, right Disney?
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Minion

I wish I could put a huge sign on the desk of everyone there:

PARK-LIKE ENVIRONMENT

• Banned User

It will be a heck of a lot more successful than it has been. Carsland will in no way be generic (which is what I think you meant by genetic) because it is going to be probably the best themed land.

There will be daytime fountain shows throughout the day.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

edit: Added a tad more for you!

Quote Originally Posted by bob weaver View Post
    i wish i could put a huge sign on the desk of everyone there:

park-like environment
    shade tress mandatory
    hub and spoke design required
    unique uniforms desirable

questions? Please refer to mandate 1...
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• I don't know him!

Paradise Pier is long gone (in the daytime at least) in terms of looking acceptably nice. WOC and TLM will add some substance to the land even if looks not much better than it did before the overhaul.

But I think the choice to go ahead with Buena Vista St shows that theming is a real concern for the company as it is not really something that gets more people into the parks (maybe extra merchandise income).

I think Carsland will be what makes this expansion a success, because I do think it will be a success. With a whole new entrance and a elaborate (hopefully) new land this will seem like a totally different park. With the exception of Paradise Pier and aspects of HPB (maybe to be fixed in phase 2) this will become a park to be proud of.

Already the park looks pretty nice at night (Paradise pier and HPB mainly) but when you add a neon-lit carsland, nicer looking Paradise Pier(with upgraded LED lighting) and WOC, DCA will become a park rivaling Disneyland in its night-time beauty.

In conclusion it should be freakin' awesome.

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast