Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

I know it's "Coming to Your Galaxy in 2011", but I don't remember if anyone clarified when the current attraction would actually go down for refurbishment/enhancements...

Anyone know?

• Banned User

Re: So when is Star Tours closing for refurb?

December, 2010

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Late next year I heard.

• Minion

I asked a cast member this one... the last flight Star Tours is going to be taking is in October of 2010 and re-opening sonetime in the Spring of 2011

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyDragon923 View Post
    I asked a cast member this one... the last flight Star Tours is going to be taking is in October of 2010 and re-opening sonetime in the Spring of 2011
    At the D23 Expo, they said that it will close October 2010, but I am surprised that it will open as soon as Spring 2011!! That is great and look forward to seeing the much needed upgrade.

• Banned User

in that case, I guess we can just expect a new screen, new movie, repainted vehicles. Disney is incredibly slow with this kind of stuff. I think it is more likely that it will re-open in Fall of '11, and close fall of '10. They need a year probably, moving at their pace, to do it properly.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    in that case, I guess we can just expect a new screen, new movie, repainted vehicles. Disney is incredibly slow with this kind of stuff. I think it is more likely that it will re-open in Fall of '11, and close fall of '10. They need a year probably, moving at their pace, to do it properly.
    Everything I've read and heard from Cast Members who work on the Star Tours attraction points to it being opened in Spring 2011 and refurbed starting in October 2010, but you do make some good points. They expect to add a new movie and all the 3D effects, change the quene lines and repaint by then. Either Disney is expecting there workers to work double time and overtime or they got an ace up there sleeve. But I do agree that it's about time Star Tours got a much needed and a LONG overdo make over.

• Fastest Man Alive

Remember too that the 'movie' is apparently already shot and completed. That's a huge timesaver right there.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

The last flight is October 2010 (bad timing, since the promotion will not only fight with Halloween Time, but create a massive bottleneck in Tomorrowland w/ Ghost Galaxy returning, Labor Day should've been their choice), but I highly doubt it will be open in spring 2011. More likely is June/July 2011, since they have to install new simulators and totally renovate the huge queue area, not to mention gloss the Star Trader and the exterior with a fresh new look. I just can't see this being done within four to five months...

• "Always On The Move..."

I just know that I was at the original Opening Ceremony for Star Tours and am planning on being at the one for the re-opening.
    Quote Originally Posted by migo View Post
    I poop with joy!
    Best Quote...EVER!!!

Member of the Black Cat Owners Association #6

• Artistic integrity

A construction time from Oct. to April the next year .. does not sound so unrealistic. Much of the "show" is contained within the simulators .. and who says construction of new simulators has not already started, off site somewhere. (?).

Some may recall a refurb in the early ... maybe mid 90s that involved 4 new simulators that were crane lifted .. and installed into their perspective "bays".

So .. aside from air or crane lifted simulators lowered into place.... Minor to moderate changes to the queue .... 6 months sounds fairly reasonable.

If there is one trace of Gungan in that freakin' ride, I'm not going to be a happy camper lol.

• Banned User

It's not a refurbishment at all. It's a completely new and high tech sequel to the original, with an entirely different film and technologically light years (so to speak) ahead of Star Tours.

A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?

• Fastest Man Alive

Quote Originally Posted by villagecreator View Post
    A little off topic, anyone know what is involved in the somewhat long refurb of next door Starcade in the Spring? Maybe reopening the 2nd floor?
    Don't know. Just speculation, but would not be surprised if Starcade and Star Trader got fixed up before Star Tours 2 given all the extra attention the area will get, and will probably have re-theming to bring it closer in line with the Star Tours 2 storyline. Just my humble guess.
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast