• Relapsed

Moving Walkway BLAB Handicapped question

I'd appreciate it if anyone can help me with this very specific question. I'm taking someone who has balance problems to Disneyland this week . For this reason she has never been able to go on HM or BLAB because anything with a moving walkway or escalator is not possible for her. I have read before that there is some kind of pass that can help with this but I can't find it and the rules seem to change frequently.

Is it possible to wait with guests in wheelchairs so when the ride slows down she can be helped onto the ride? It's frustrating because other than this she doesn't have any physical problems and she really wants to go on BLAB in particular but is resigned to have to miss it.

I don't have any experience with the handicapped access at Disneyland so I'm hoping someone knows about this.
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be? - hang gliding, come on!

Re: Moving Walkway BLAB Handicapped question

Yes, notify the CM at the entrance, they'll probably send you to the unload directly if you have the correct symbols on your GAC.

• Minion

on both blab and hm they stop the ride to let them on on hm you tell them at the entrance of the problem they will the her walk on the moving plantform but they will stop it so it doesnt move for her. then she will get off where she got on you wont get off at the exit it will take you the rest of the circle only few get to see pretty cool. They will do the same on buzz.

• Minion

you go to city hall to get the pass you tell them what the needs are and they will see what pass will help best

• Banned User

Yes, ask the front CM for a pass and he will direct you the proper way for handicap, disabled, etc. to board. When you arrive, they will wait for a specific car to come (if he/she is in a wheel chair, otherwise they just use any old car) and stop the ride. They will allow them to board, with the wheel chair, or transfer, the ride vehicles proceed moving until she returns and the process is repeated in reverse.

• Minion

Cast members are not allowed to do the actual transfer of the person from the wheelchair to the ride vehicle, or even help with it. You have to do the entire transfer yourself. Practice the transfers at home for a while until it becomes second-nature and you can do it easily when you are at the park. Transferring a person safely is tricky business so you should practice it well.

Never try to get someone to stand up by pulling on their arms. You can easily dislocate a shoulder that way. Never try to pick up a person from behind. The correct way is: Stand in front of them, facing them. Make sure their feet are back. Squat down a little and place one hand on each side of their chest, under each armpit. Pull them forward a little, then stand up. Use your leg muscles to do the major lifting. Pull them close to you so they are face-to-face with you. Then rotate them 90 degrees. Make sure the back of their legs are touching the chair or vehicle the are going to sit onto. Then lower them down so they are seated. If they need to turn another 90 degrees to be facing the right way, put one hand behind their neck and the other hand under their knees. Rotate their entire body at once using their butt as the pivot point.

The Haunted Mansion has special Doom Buggies that are cut out on one side to make the transfer easier. The operators can stop the motion of the doom buggies to make it easier. I assume they can also stop the motion of the moving sidewalk too. I don't know about Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. The cast members working on a specific attraction should be well-trained on procedures for mobility-imparied guests for that attraction. This wasn't quite true with it's a small world, a couple of the cast members did not know how to make the wheelchair platform rise and couldn't find the key for it. But in general they will know what to do, although they cannot help move the person into the vehicle. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has an excellent theater called Marine Observation Outpost which serves as a substitute for getting on to the subs, and Sleeping Beauty Castle also has an "alternate experience" which eliminates the need for climbing the stairs.

Much more information I gathered from my visit with a disabled person is in this thread: http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/127644-wheelchair-questions.html#post1055675268

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Both Buzz and HM CMs have the power to either slow down or stop the walkways if it needs to be, just tell them and they'd be happy to oblige.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    The Haunted Mansion has special Doom Buggies that are cut out on one side to make the transfer easier. The operators can stop the motion of the doom buggies to make it easier. I assume they can also stop the motion of the moving sidewalk too.
    Yep, they can. On my most recent trip to DLR, I was with my girlfriend in a wheelchair and we went to the Mansion twice. They slowed down the walkway and she was able to hop into a Doom Buggie that had a wider entrance (they labeled it with a glow in the dark bat sticker, I thought it was cute ). They asked if she could move on the walkway, though, and if she had said no they would've stopped the walkway. They just want to avoid stopping it if they can.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I don't know about Buzz Lightyear's Astro Blasters. The cast members working on a specific attraction should be well-trained on procedures for mobility-imparied guests for that attraction.
    BLAB actually had the best experience for her in her wheelchair. When we approached the load area, we had to wait for just a few minutes as they got the special pod onto the track. Then, they stopped the walkway, opened the back of the pod, and placed a ramp leading up to it. This way, she was actually able to stay in her wheelchair for the entire attraction (with the locks engaged, of course). Once we got back around to load/unload, they repeated the process. It was all very smooth and we didn't feel rushed at all (unlike other places that had to accommodate for wheelchair users... I'm looking at you, Universal Studios Hollywood).

Just make sure to talk to the CM's and explain the situation fully to them, and they'll help make it work for you .

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by oo_nrb View Post
    BLAB actually had the best experience for her in her wheelchair. When we approached the load area, we had to wait for just a few minutes as they got the special pod onto the track. Then, they stopped the walkway, opened the back of the pod, and placed a ramp leading up to it. This way, she was actually able to stay in her wheelchair for the entire attraction (with the locks engaged, of course). Once we got back around to load/unload, they repeated the process. It was all very smooth and we didn't feel rushed at all (unlike other places that had to accommodate for wheelchair users... I'm looking at you, Universal Studios Hollywood).
    FYI: They DON'T actually have to bring out the special vehicle. It is ACTUALLY on the ride track. What you really meant was that you have to wait until the special Wheelchair Access Vehicle have to come around to the Unload station. I just want to clarify,

• Relapsed

Thank you for all the info. I am really hoping she can go on BLAB because she will love it!
    Here are just a few of the key ingredients: dynamite, pole vaulting, laughing gas, choppers - can you see how incredible this is going to be? - hang gliding, come on!

•   
    • Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dan - Tasmic! View Post
    FYI: They DON'T actually have to bring out the special vehicle. It is ACTUALLY on the ride track. What you really meant was that you have to wait until the special Wheelchair Access Vehicle have to come around to the Unload station. I just want to clarify,
    That right and Thinking the vehicle number is 80
    or one before Vehicle (1)
    BLAB
    Do Tell te CM, then you will still need go in queue just Before the load zone there will be a door with the Blue wheelchair sign.
    That will take you to the unload side.

Please ask nice to Castmember at City hall.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan

Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Feb 8-9

• Minion

We have to use this. We enter the Handicap door, and proceed to the end of the walkway and wait for the CM. They will then stop the walkway and allow us to board. Those on the ride love it because they get to keep making points while we get situated. When we come back to exit, sometimes we have to remind them we need the walkway stopped to exit.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.