• Yes

55 19.16%
  • Don't care

23 8.01%
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• DL Fan

Re: Toy Story the Musical to replace Aladdin

Quote Originally Posted by The T View Post
    Not to be rude here but I think Mice Chat is full of Pixar haters in my opinion.
    I can only speak for myself when I say I don't hate Pixar. They have made some really great movies, but lately it seems that the theme parks have incorporated too much Pixar into the parks. A lot of classic Disney movies are severely unrepresented in the parks, and to me it is kind of sad to see them go.
    Partner in Crime: Smaps.

Go Huskies!!!

Disneyland: September 12th to 19th

• Disneynerd Merprincess

I appreciate that Toy Story 3 is coming out soon, and Disney's going to have to find an excuse to take advantage of that market (because there aren't ENOUGH Toy Story-themed attractions in the parks already), but come on. Cooooooooome onnnnnnnn. Really?

We're all in agreement here that Aladdin needed to go. It's a wonderful show, but it's past its prime, it's worn its welcome, it needs to be replaced. By Toy Story? I'm not so sure. Why not something original? Or even a Beauty & The Beast show, The Lion King? The Little Mermaid? PRINCESS AND THE FROG? Enchanted? SOMEthing? Toy Story is being shoved down everybody's throats, and although it's a timeless movie, it's tiring. Too much of a good thing. It's a movie not meant for a musical stage. Beyond the depressing "You've Got A Friend In Me", there's not much sing-a-long about Toy Story.

Sorry, Al. No can do on this one.
    BK15:
    Disney BFF and Partner-In-Crime!

Walt Disney World: 1995, August 2009
    Disneyland: New Years 08/09, January 2010, September 2010, New Years 2011

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014
    ... with the Kristoff to my Anna!

Queen Elsa Is My Homegirl

• DL Fan

If anyone has seen the Finding Nemo musical in Disney World, I have a feeling this will turn out like that. Pixar movies do not translate well into musicals. The songs will be awkward, forced, and not very well written.
    Partner in Crime: Smaps.

Go Huskies!!!

Disneyland: September 12th to 19th

• MC State Comptroller

I already posted in the other thread so I'll keep it short.

I will miss Aladdin, but I think if the Toy Story replacement is of the same caliber as Aladdin is/was, it will be a nice replacement. I don't think Toy Story is over saturated in the parks equivalent to its popularity to mainstream audiences, which is Disney's primary audience.
    "Here you leave Today and enter the world of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Bankruptcy!"

Maybe for once, someone will call me "Sir" without saying, "You're making a scene!"

Arizona Cardinals 2008 NFC Champions

• Disneynerd Merprincess

Not to be rude here but I think Mice Chat is full of Pixar haters in my opinion.
    Back when Dreamworks was the CGI kingpin and dominating that market, all I can remember is how excited Disney fans were about Pixar's storytelling, their craft, the beauty of their graphics and the quality of their films. Pixar rising up, and even becoming part of Disney itself, were everything in the world to celebrate.

I agree that a lot of people on MC are overtly, overly-critical about Pixar films. They are definitely different than Disney, stylistically, although they are made with the same standards based on quality and perfection that Disney has always been well known for, regardless where that stands today. But I don't see an UPland, or WALL-E astroblasters, or Ratatouille... Submarine... Voyage?... (you get my point).

If Disney is going to make a patent decision on fully incorporating Pixar into DCA/DLR, then go for it. But I want to see more variance in the Pixar movies that get touted; I love Finding Nemo, but it's okay. I'm done with it. I don't need another helping, thanks. Same for Toy Story. Same for Cars after Carsland. Etc etc etc.
    BK15:

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014

• Disneynerd Merprincess

Quote Originally Posted by BK15 View Post
    If anyone has seen the Finding Nemo musical in Disney World, I have a feeling this will turn out like that. Pixar movies do not translate well into musicals. The songs will be awkward, forced, and not very well written.
    IN THE BIGGGGGGG BLUEEE WORRRRRRRRRRRRLDDDDDDD

BK15:

VALENTINE'S WEEKEND 2014

It's an odd move on Disney's part. The Disney wonder that shows Twice Charmed is being repositioned to the West Coast the same year this show is opening. Will they keep the show on the ship or remove it and replace it with something new? If they plan on replacing it why develop a new show for the ship when it just got Toy Story and could use a new show to replace the Golden Mickeys?

If we had to reuse a show that has already been developed why not Twice Charmed? It's music is wonderful, the story fresh and new while based off a Disney Classic, and the staging unique with a memorable new character. Plus it plays on a ship that is based in Florida or overseas.
    Please pardon our dust as we gear up for an all new signature!

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post
    isn't the show already done on one of the Disney cruise lines?
    Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    I'll second that. Aladdin is a great show, but since DLR caters largely to locals, I don't think they can have the same show forever.

The problem is that I've read some micechatters comments that the Toy Story Musical is not a very good show. Anyone else who's actually seen it?
    Yes, Toy Story the Musical plays on Disney Cruise Line, and as someone who has seen both Aladdin at DCA and Toy Story on the ships (and loves Broadway musicals), I can readily say that Toy Story is a definite downgrade from Aladdin. Aladdin is a Broadway-caliber show, with stirring orchestral music, grand set pieces, and a magical plot with familiar characters. Toy Story felt awkward and forced, with actors impersonating toys, often in oversized full-body costumes that don't look right "singing", as well as the bizarre sight of characters supposed to be full-sized (Andy) singing next to actors playing characters that should be a fraction of their size (Woody) . Although the sets and costumes were lavish, the music was forgettable and uninspiring - I couldn't recall a single tune after leaving the show. There was also something just not right about seeing characters from a songless film singing the plot along, leaving an impression that the songs were merely shoehorned into a movie that was clearly never meant to be a stage musical.

But, that's just my opinion. I suppose soon everyone will get to decide for themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    well the cruise will be different from the DCA one.
    the Broadways are always like that.
    They have Lion King on Broadway and WDW but very different.
    same goes for Beauty and the Beast, Mermaid, Tarzan.
    It's true that movie-based stage shows at the parks are often different from their Broadway counterparts, but keep in mind that Toy Story the Musical was never a Broadway show. The Disney shows that play on Broadway are created by Walt Disney Theatrical, a division of Disney dedicated specifically to creating musicals that play in major cities. Toy Story the Musical was created for Disney Cruise Line, which is actually part of the Parks and Resorts division, just like DCA. All of the other shows are different because they were two different interpretations of the original movies by each division.

In other words, because both Disney Cruise Line and Disneyland are operated by Parks and Resorts, this is basically a clone like any of the others made from park to park... although this time, the park was actually a cruise ship!
    Last edited by MarkTwain; 12-03-2009 at 07:53 PM.

• Future Skipper

Not true. Well at least not for me. Up is probably my favorite Disney movie of all time, closely followed by Monsters, Inc., Toy Story 2, and Wall-E. I love Pixar movies, and have ever since I was little. I just hate Pixar musicals.

• Disney Dream 10/23!!

I think change is good. The last few times I saw aladdin, the jasmines were awful, Aladdin missed his cues and the genie just seemed....tired. It's a great show, but it's time for something new. However, I think that there are so many better options than toy story! What about Mary poppins? Or the broadway version of beauty and the beast? The Hollywood studios version is awful, so maybe not that...I loved the nemo musical, simply because of the calibur of the performers.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by BK15 View Post
    Finding Nemo was the biggest shocker in DAK for me...

IT WAS AMAZING

The scope was phenomenal

The songs were all catchy and made sense

The puppetry was superb

I left a happy camper.

I went in not expecting much, but it tells the story really well with an added twist of music.

Search "Go With the Flow"... perfection.

one hundred and one

• MiceChat Moderator
    • ♠ Pirate Wizard ♠

Blog Entries

I'm surprised so many prefer to keep Aladdin right where it is. I can only watch Aladdin the stage show so many times.
    You can never run out of imagination. The more you use, the more you gain.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitalpunk View Post
    I'm surprised so many prefer to keep Aladdin right where it is. I can only watch Aladdin the stage show so many times.
    I was a little surprised too...

maybe it's like "You don't know what you got til it's gone" kinda thing... especially with TS:TM that we've already seen on the cruise ships.

one hundred and one

• I'm wishing

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    I love Toy Story. The fact that it is Pixar is not the issue. The fact that the kids like it is not the issue. The fact that California Adventure has a lot of Pixar is not the issue (it's an issue, but not in this situation).

For me Toy Story doesn't have the richness and classy quality that the Golden Age of Disney (i.e. Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Lion King) had. It would be much more appropriate that another one of these titles should replace Aladdin (which I also think needed to be replaced, although I loved it).

Beauty and the Beast is my first choice because:

1. It fits with the "Hollywood Backlot" motif. The Hyperion Theater is supposed to represent the Broadway Style Theater District. Beauty and the Beast is one of the highest grossing Broadway Shows and it has a richness that is needed in the Hollywood Backlot.

2. It is respected by everyone. It boasts the only animated film to be nominated for an oscar.

3. Alan Menken.

4. There is NOTHING from the film mentioned in either park!

-- Obviously I'm talking about a higher quality production than the one from DHS. It would be a costly show to produce but it would add so much more Classic Disney to the park. Hunchback of Notre Dame is another choice, but it probably wouldn't pack them in as much as Beauty would. Any Golden Age Disney film would work!
    Soooooooo TRUE!! I agreed with everything there. I do like Pixar, I like Toy Story, but it's not the musical i want to see in that beautiful theater...I want Aladdin, Beauty, Little Mermaid, or any of the classics with great songs!!

This has nothing to do with Pixar, Aladdin or Toy Story itself. It all comes down to the quality of the replacement show itself. By contrast, the Finding Nemo musical at DAK is really fantastic with terrific music and stage direction, on the same level of quality that Aladdin has.

Toy Story: The Musical is just awful. That is why many people are depressed over this decision. It doesn't matter about how much Pixar and Toy Story is in the parks, none of that would matter if the show was good. And it isn't.

Tourists seem to generally enjoy TS:TM even though fans don't and probably won't. (in other words, it's not Superstar Limo bad enough to even dissatisfy your average uncaring tourist) So you're going to have to look forward to seeing this musical last through probably all of the 2010's. I really hope this is a bomb on the levels of Mickey's Detective Academy and Steps in Time, but somehow I doubt it...

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast