Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HollywoodLand?

• Banned User

Re: HollywoodLand?

Quote Originally Posted by Coheteboy View Post
    :::big sigh:::
    And I thought I was the only one irritated by Scott's demand for respect although his knowledge is that of a slightly above average Annual Passholder's.
    Last edited by Ice101; 12-04-2009 at 06:30 PM.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    Hollywoodland is not in the 40s even though BVS is way back in time when Walt first visited California.

And yes, I do know about the expansion.

Be obnoxious all you want.

There's a plaque on this in DHS I remember seeing my last trip. It was a real estate company if I remember correctly!
    Yes, it was obnoxious, and no, you don't know about the expansion.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    And I thought I was the only one irritated by Scott's demand for respect although is knowledge is that of a slightly above average AP.
    That also was a bit insensitive. I am a Northern Californian non-AP holder that visits Disneyland two to three times a year.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    That is respectable.

That also was a bit insensitive. I am a Northern Californian non-AP holder that visits Disneyland two to three times a year.
    But you aren't the average AP. The slightly above average AP, as I view it, knows about the expansion, a few rumors, but knows absolutely no details.

• Artistic integrity

1. I think there's a little misunderstanding what era The Hollywood Backlot section represents. There's more than just 1940s architecture. It's a combination of 1920s, 1930s, AND 1940s. If anything .. it's predominantly 1920s. And the Red Car dates as early as 1900. The Red Car was a prominent feature in LA for the first half of the 20th Century.

And with the retheming ... will be a new "Partners" statue when Walt arrived in Hollywood ... which was 1923.

So .. if we are going to pick a decade that is a proper "billing" for the area .. that would be 1920s.

Hence ... the 20s makeover of Sunshine Plaza.

2. Most of the Hollywood Backlot will have to wait BEYOND the proposed 2012 finish date on what is unnoficially known as "PHASE 1" of the DCA make-over plan.

Hopefully "phase 2" will gain steam .. which will tackle areas such as the warf, Grizzly Peek area, Condor Flats .. and major sections of the Hollywood Backlot area which will include the entire north section where Muppets, Monsters Inc., and everything else in that area. Not mention the be-lated plans to give the Hyperion Theater a full makeover with the waiting area enclosed into a proper lobby, along with other modifications.

• Future Skipper

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    But you aren't the average AP. The slightly above average AP, as I view it, knows about the expansion, a few rumors, but knows absolutely no details.
    As much as I value your opinion, this thread isn't about how we feel about AP's.

*cough*scum*cough*

• Pongo is my hero.

:::big sigh:::

It's not just a name change. There's a red car involved that harkens back to the 40s. There's some plans to redesign the exterior of Hyperion Theater. A lot of the main street of the Backlot is already based loosely on old Hollywood architecture, much like it is in DHS.

With the addition of Buena Vista Street and the Carthay Circle Theater at the entrance, the rest of "Hollywoodland" is soon to follow, if all goes as planned.

None of this is really announced yet officially as it is all Expansion stage B.

Back in 2008 I saw some art from WDI that did clearly label the land as "hollywoodland". Toy Story Musical was already decided to be put into DCA as far back as 2008... perhaps earlier... they just never had a set "when" date.

EDIT: ALSO.. your argument about 1940s is flawed. Was Aerosmith around in the 40's? How many movies in the Great Movie Ride came after?
    If you add those BVS elements in Hollywoodland but still retain the same HPB attractions that have nothing to do with old Hollywood... then is it really old Hollywood?

Btw, ToT is set in modern day- a huge hole in your theory that the area would represent old Hollywood.

If it does go as planned, I'm assuming some other drastic things I've heard would come into place, then yes the themeing would work... but I doubt that would happen y'know?

I I bet some people here do know more then me but I do know my fair share of DCA's future.

And I thought I was the only one irritated by Scott's demand for respect although his knowledge is that of a slightly above average Annual Passholder's.
    I get you have some personal vendetta, but enough is enough. Quit acting like a little kid.

Common courtesy to me is a sign of respect in my eyes- and all I really want. I'm not here to bicket, but maybe you are.

one hundred and one

• Banned User

I get you have some personal vendetta, but enough is enough. Quit acting like a little kid.

Common courtesy to me is a sign of respect in my eyes- and all I really want. I'm not here to bicket, but maybe you are.
    I'll go ahead an throw in my final words before I give up on you:

You are on a Disney Enthusiast site, we are the hard core fans, the die hards if you will. Because of that, there is a certain level of knowledge that is universally expected by others if you come in acting like you know all thats going on.

You do not know that knowledge, which is quite eivdent with some of your statements such as:
    Wait.... have Imagineers who designed it confirmed if the American Waterfront is in present day?
    I do like that idea... one major issue though :/ DCA's Hollywood is modern while DHS' is in the 40s
    Not that I am bashing anyone on these forums that doesn't know this information, but you simply act like you do when you don't. I am fine when people make mistakes every so often, everyone does, even the biggest Disney Geeks, but you have simply come in with your lack of Disney knowledge and have acted like you know it all.

I honestly cannot respect your opinions unless you have good knowledge. I quite honestly do not care for the opinions of the average Disney park goer, and when I meet someone on the forum that acts like one, I do not respect their opinion.

So even though you may have been to all the Disney Parks around the world, please acquire a bit more knowledge before you make incredibly false statements over and over and over again.

• Banned User

There's no way MI, DAS, TS:TM, ect belong in Hollywood 1940s. Therefore, how is it 1940's? I always got the impression it was just a name change (and from an insider- it basically is at the moment)

Oh, and thanks for reminding me. You can reply to my post there if you want.
    Who's your source? A cast member @ one of the attractions IN that "land"?

• Banned User

If you add those BVS elements in Hollywoodland but still retain the same HPB attractions that have nothing to do with old Hollywood... then is it really old Hollywood?

Btw, ToT is set in modern day- a huge hole in your theory that the area would represent old Hollywood.

If it does go as planned, I'm assuming some other drastic things I've heard would come into place, then yes the themeing would work... but I doubt that would happen y'know?

I I bet some people here do know more then me but I do know my fair share of DCA's future.

Here's my two cents. Look, the point behind alot of Disney's lands is a theme, not a set time period. If any time period is involved, it's a loose time period where they can work things together. Look at Main Street U.S.A, it's labeled as a "turn of the century" town. Hollywoodland is more than likely going to be themed around the 20's, 30's, and 40's. It allows more access to creating things around a similar time, while still tying together a well developed theme.

For the guys on here (Dusty, MG, Baloo, etc) that know more than me, please correct me if I am wrong.

Tower of Terror isn't "set" in modern day. There's no reference pointing to that. To go over the story - "Story night, Hollywood Tower Hotel - 1939, 5 passengers board an elevator, lightning strikes, elevator disappears into the Twilight Zone...and now WE are boarding the maintenance elevator which travels to the Twilight Zone." I think there's NO reference to another time period besides 1939...

and on the point of attractions...

so you're saying that Monster's Inc and Muppets won't work simply because they don't fit the 20s/30's/40's Hollywoodland theme? What about Rockin' Rollercoaster in Florida? I'm totally sure Steven Tyler was big in the 40's...
    It'll work. Get a little imagination, come up with an idea to change it to make it look/work better...

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    and on the point of attractions...

so you're saying that Monster's Inc and Muppets won't work simply because they don't fit the 20s/30's/40's Hollywoodland theme? What about Rockin' Rollercoaster in Florida? I'm totally sure Steven Tyler was big in the 40's...
    It'll work. Get a little imagination, come up with an idea to change it to make it look/work better...

Yah, I brought that up already and he ignored it.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

• Banned User

Yah, I brought that up already and he ignored it.
    bummer. Lol oh well, we know what's right, and we'll stick to it.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    As much as I value your opinion, this thread isn't about how we feel about AP's.

*cough*scum*cough*
    Um yeah seriously...

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Alex E View Post
    Um yeah seriously...
    Hey now...I'm one of the few AP's that don't complain about everything, and give the CM's a hard time...I agree though, most AP's think they're a part of the "exclusive spethal peepool uv Dithney" club, and think they're superior to the other guests...but I'm already stating what everyone knows.

• Closed Account

Hollywoodland is not in the 40s even though BVS is way back in time when Walt first visited California.

There's a plaque on this in DHS I remember seeing my last trip. It was a real estate company if I remember correctly!
    Actually, Hollywoodland was a subdivision.

I highly reccommend "Hollywood - The First Hundred Years" for a great history of Hollywood, loaded with photos.

And...don't get too wrapped up in defining (or limiting) the area's time period. Frontierland spans about 100 years of American history.

Yeah, I don't really see the current list of attractions as being counterproductive to a Hollywoodland theme. Muppets is pretty timeless because they naturally have an old time nostalgia quality with the set design, and lack of pop refrences. The attraction could be set in the 1930's or 1950's or whenever, it doesn't really matter. Monsters Inc has been a poor fit since the get-go, so no real change for better or worse. Hyperion deffinately works, no matter what show is playing inside. Main Street Opera House has Lincoln and it works, I think 1930's Hollywood can have a large playhouse that is showing a new musical. ToT works wonderfully, because the Hotel is themed to be a delapidated hotel from 1939. Lastly, the Animation Studios. Having an animation studio isn't counterproductive to the theme and I would hate to limit the exibits inside to material 1940's and prior. The Tiki Room has TVs advertising 70's Hawaii, I don't find it all that destructive to the whole of Adventureland.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast