Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HollywoodLand?

• Minion

Re: HollywoodLand?

nothing wrong with the name hollywoodland..as far as a thematic overlay it could give the backlot a more coheasive feel as well if they do costumes of the time period like they do for the tower of terror.i agree with most posters that the muppets can blend in with almost any time frame, they are timeless and can add their magic to anything they touch.monsters inc on the other hand...i dunno it was weak to me befor maybe a better themed out side and qeue would work a little better...but the ride itself although not with out some cool spots...just dosent fit the theme well...but this is phase 2 we are talking..it all looks good on paper and modlels..but with phase 1 well underway..i wonder how much budget would be cut from phase 2 if 1 dips in to deep?

• Trashmasher with Style

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    I saw in previous threads that the term "HollywoodLand" was being thrown around as the new name of Hollywood Pictures Backlot at DCA to fit with CarsLand getting a "land" at the end. Is this official that this is happening?
    This might hit a wall -- "Hollywoodland" was the original name of Hollywood, and I think it's still in use (to keep the ownership current).

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    That is respectable.

But you aren't the average AP. The slightly above average AP, as I view it, knows about the expansion, a few rumors, but knows absolutely no details.
    I'm not an AP at all. However, if you use "AP" as a gauge of Disney parks knowledge, then I understand.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    I'm not an AP at all. However, if you use "AP" as a gauge of Disney parks knowledge, then I understand.
    Oh yes, that is what I meant.

Quote Originally Posted by Professortango View Post
    Yeah, I don't really see the current list of attractions as being counterproductive to a Hollywoodland theme. Muppets is pretty timeless because they naturally have an old time nostalgia quality with the set design, and lack of pop refrences. The attraction could be set in the 1930's or 1950's or whenever, it doesn't really matter. Monsters Inc has been a poor fit since the get-go, so no real change for better or worse. Hyperion deffinately works, no matter what show is playing inside. Main Street Opera House has Lincoln and it works, I think 1930's Hollywood can have a large playhouse that is showing a new musical. ToT works wonderfully, because the Hotel is themed to be a delapidated hotel from 1939. Lastly, the Animation Studios. Having an animation studio isn't counterproductive to the theme and I would hate to limit the exibits inside to material 1940's and prior. The Tiki Room has TVs advertising 70's Hawaii, I don't find it all that destructive to the whole of Adventureland.
    Eh I'm not too much a fan off adding "land" to the end of all the areas of DCA but that seems to be happening anyways.

Personally I do think Tower works better in the modern era haha.

I do want to see more historical elements added. I thought we were going for an idealised Hollywood anyways so I suppose I want the best from all eras possible with the outside architecture skewing mostly towards the historical.

I'd be perfectly happy is some of the more interesting facades like the one present on Animation remained. However I'd like to see the whole fake studio vibe of the main street vanish along with most of those cheesy puns. I actually don't mind the whole fake street effect painted on the Hyperion though and it seems like tourists enjoy it too for the most part.

The back area could stay a backlot or change, whatever lets Monsters Inc fit. I'm not a fan of how that back area looks and feels in general though. Even the improvements to it while nice seem to do very little to fix the design issues.

I suppose my main point is even modern Hollywood has historical buildings so I don't care for the emphasis on old timyness as much as I care about the feeling of going to an idealized/exciting Hollywood.
    "We all have sparks, imagination! it's how our minds... create creations!"

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    so you're saying that Monster's Inc and Muppets won't work simply because they don't fit the 20s/30's/40's Hollywoodland theme? What about Rockin' Rollercoaster in Florida? I'm totally sure Steven Tyler was big in the 40's...
    It'll work. Get a little imagination, come up with an idea to change it to make it look/work better...
    ToT and RnRC ARE set in present day according to the story in DHS. You should really know that if you were a true Disney fan. Kidding, won't stoop to that level. Everyone learns something new everyday and because they don't know something they shouldn't be mocked like some people do.

Cohete, never saw your post. I wasn't ignoring you.

And my source is just an attractions CM in PP. We aren't that close at all, but she told me about the expansion details a month or so ago.

To IC- please just give up on me. Stop stalking my posts.
    I never said I was an enthusiast and I thought this site was for Disney parks fans in general and mainly DL park fans... not enthusiats.
    I guarentee you a great amount of people don't know everything there is to know about every Disney theme park and every attraction and every backstory. Cmon man. Just because you may be an "enthusiast" doesn't mean I'm one or should be one because I'm a member on this site.

one hundred and one

• Exec Asst to Captain E.O.

Imagineer Scott - With all do respect, you really can't argue based off of knowledge from a front-line CM. No disrespect to CM's at all, but Disneyland is one of those things where anyone with even a slight "inside" connection feel like they know everything; most of the time, it's the same info that all know, mixed in with even more gossip/rumors. Without trying to discount your friend's good intentions, it's highly doubtful that an hourly FOH CM truly knows ANYTHING solid about a renovation, still in the hands of very hush-hush offices in Glendale, that won't even materialize until at least 2012-2014. I think things would be a lot easier for you here if you approached info with "I've heard that this might..." attitude, rather than acting like you're spreading gospel truth and getting snippy with others. And if you don't like Ice's comments to you, don't engage. That simple.

Back at hand - I truly see no problem with the attraction lineup if in HPB with a Hollywoodland theme integrated into the land. If they go through with everything for Phase II (meaning the facade work to accompany the Phase I Red Car), it will be a truly beautiful land.

And again (speaking mostly to Scott here), Disney has traditionally gone with themes, not time periods (as Steve beautifully pointed out with the Frontierland example). There's not a thematic problem here if the theme is kept Hollywood-ish (be it the concept of Hollywood, as evidenced at MI:M&TTR! and Playhouse Disney, or the geographical location, as evidenced at ToT).

Do you want evidence of this? Take a look at Fantasyland. Is there theme or time period? Sure, we're in the middle of an architecturally rich Bavarian village - are the rides contained therein (Peter Pan, Snow White, Alice, Toad, Pinocchio) fully reflective of the medieval time period or the theme of the land? Look at Main Street. Is attending a speech presented by Mr. Lincoln really consistent with the turn-of-the-century time period of the architecture, or the theme of American patriotism?

So in that sense (along with the Frontierland example), why would it be errant to see modern Disney characters referenced in the Animation attraction? Or would that be too much of a stretch? I hope, Scott, that it makes sense, because it would be similar to your earlier statement that DHS is set in the 40's, while later admitting that RnRC and ToT are set in present-day in their DHS contexts. This either a) backs up my argument that theme is dominant to locked-in architectural time-period contexts or b) you're lacking in that acknowledgement.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Haha, with all the bickering, you'd think I was involved or something!

In my opinion, the ride itself does not alwaysy have to conform 100% with the time period in some places, as long as it and expecially its exterior matches the feel of the area. I truly belive that just as the movies sometimes bend facts to make a scene work, Disneyland too can use their creative licence to better fit things in and represent the spirit of an area/era.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    Haha, with all the bickering, you'd think I was involved or something!

In my opinion, the ride itself does not alwaysy have to conform 100% with the time period in some places, as long as it and expecially its exterior matches the feel of the area. I truly belive that just as the movies sometimes bend facts to make a scene work, Disneyland too can use their creative licence to better fit things in and represent the spirit of an area/era.

I agree with you there, but there can be a point where it goes to far. For example, in the film Who Framed Roger Rabbit, there are characters that technically shouldn't exist yet in its 1947 setting, but they all fit with the idea of the Golden Age of Animation. Road Runner (1949), Tinkerbell (1953) the penguins from Mary Poppins (1964), other anachronistic toons that were in there, but I can't recall at the moment = OK. However, if they stuck the Ninja Turtles or Bart Simpson in there, that would have just been wrong .
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Quote Originally Posted by Jspider View Post

I suppose my main point is even modern Hollywood has historical buildings so I don't care for the emphasis on old timyness as much as I care about the feeling of going to an idealized/exciting Hollywood.
    Exactly! What DCA needs is this for all lands. A fantastical view of idealized parts of California. Treat the areas as less acurate representations and more as physical embodiments of spirit.

In a perfect world, I would have Hollywood land become thus: The main coridoor would remain the same except for the completion of buildings that are merely facades and the infusion of the redcar. MuppetVision is replaced with something fresher and the enterence is off the main drag by Award Weiners. The Hyperion gets an inclosed lobby and theming is added to the bland side of the Animation Studio building. Another C-D ticket is added around ToT to help flesh that corner out a bit. The backlot area becomes one of two things; either the seedy backside of Hollywood filled with bars, packing houses, and wet dark allys. Millionare and Monsters Inc can house Dick Tracey's Crime Stoppers or something along those lines. Hollywood and Dine gets themed to a 40's nightclub with various acts entertaining guests. My other idea for that area is to move ToonTown there. Not realistic, I'm sure, but it would work incredibly well in the area. Roger Rabbit and another darkride can easily fit, some meet and greet facades/houses, and Hollywood and Dine becomes the Ink and Paint Club.
    Women, they make the highs higher and the lows more frequent.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by WALL-E View Post
    This might hit a wall -- "Hollywoodland" was the original name of Hollywood, and I think it's still in use (to keep the ownership current).
    Not true--as I noted above, "Hollywoodland" was only the name of a housing subdivision located below the famous sign (which itself was nothing more than a marketing gimick meant to publicize the tract). The name of the area as "Hollywood" goes back to 1887. "Hollywoodland" dates only to the mid-1920s.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-06-2009 at 06:45 AM.

• I'm a Lutheran

I agree on the whole time period thing. Really, do pirates from the 1700's make sense living on an island centered in the middle of a Southwestern/Southern river of the presumably late 1800's? Not to mention in the wild frontier of the 1800's? Does it make sense to find Jack Skellington and crew decorating a southern plantation manor of years past every October through early January? I don't think so, but the Imagineers are brilliant enough to allow all these attractions to blend in and fit with their surroundings. They could easily fit in Muppets and Monsters if they theme the backlot to the 1940's. Over at DisneySea they added Turtle Talk with Crush which takes place presumably in our own time period. The land it's been placed in (American Waterfront) takes place around the turn of the century (Or at least I think it does, somebody please clarify on this) yet they were somehow able to fit in in with a bit of creativity and Disney magic. Hollywoodland will be fine, it will all work out in the end, trust me.
    Last edited by MANEATINGWREATH; 12-06-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Incomplete
    Theatrical Roles: Various Roles (The Laramie Project), Fred (Oklahoma!), Oberon (Shakespeare in Hollywood), Hero (A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum), Valere (The Miser), Moonface Martin (Anything Goes), Thenardier/Laborer/Army Officer/Ensemble (Les Miserables), Franz (The Sound of Music), Tobias Ragg (Sweeney Todd), Tinman (The Wiz), Elles Dad/Winthrop/Ensemble (Legally Blonde), William Barfee/Leaf's Dad/Jesus Christ (25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee), Fiddler on the Roof (Rabbi), The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (Muff Potter/Ensemble), Shrek the Musical (Lord Farquaad)

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

That is an interesing point. Let us assume that we are NOS as it is today, representing a certain time period. What is wrong with a r ide that takes us back in time? As long as the attraction is set up and executed properly, this works well. Kind of like here are the streets of NOS as they are today, but if you sail around the bend you travel back in time into the coast as it once was, full of adventure and excitement. Then you come back up out of the story and back into today.

Again, I just think this highlights that a well told and executed story can take you from where you are and link the plot to your experiances. Isn't that what great storytelling is?

As for Hollywoodland, I think that "fascades" that are meant to appear to be real buildings will give the area a sense of place or environment. What makes other Disney parks superior to DCA is that all of the rides are (hopefully) fit into some kind of realistic environment that houses them.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

To summarize that statement:

As far as the guest should be able to tell, the rides should fit into the realistic and natural environment of the land whether it be urban, or natural, but the land shouldn't be built around the collection of rides. How the rides appear cohesively with the theme of the land from the outside, while transporting guests to the story on the inside in a belivable way is one of the most important aspects of Imagineering. And to me, it is also one of the most exciting.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by TrevorD View Post
    To summarize that statement:

As far as the guest should be able to tell, the rides should fit into the realistic and natural environment of the land whether it be urban, or natural, but the land shouldn't be built around the collection of rides. How the rides appear cohesively with the theme of the land from the outside, while transporting guests to the story on the inside in a belivable way is one of the most important aspects of Imagineering. And to me, it is also one of the most exciting.
    And to solve this WHOLE PROBLEM about HPB....How about changing the Main Street to 1920's/30's/40's Hollywoodland, and the area with Muppets, and Monster's Inc, turn into a Toon Studios getup? WOW...that was hard thinkin'.....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast