Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Indy Castmember

Matterhorn Bobsleds

Okay, before I post my question, let me point out that I don't have a photo of it.

I was at DL on Saturday when I passed by the Matterhorn on the TOmorrowland side. As I was looking at the bobsleds returning to the station, I noticed that a bobsled was to the side all by itself. Now, we know that the bobsleds run in pairs (two cars attached to each other). But this bobsled I saw, didn't have another car attached to it.

What happened? How did they do it?

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• Banned User

Re: Matterhorn Bobsleds

Hmm.. are they still planning on installing new cars where you sit in pairs like Space Mountain?

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by The Forbidden Eye View Post
    Okay, before I post my question, let me point out that I don't have a photo of it.

I was at DL on Saturday when I passed by the Matterhorn on the TOmorrowland side. As I was looking at the bobsleds returning to the station, I noticed that a bobsled was to the side all by itself. Now, we know that the bobsleds run in pairs (two cars attached to each other). But this bobsled I saw, didn't have another car attached to it.

What happened? How did they do it?
    There's always one there. I'm curious to know why as well, and I know this is the place we'll both learn the answer.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Future Indy Castmember

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Hmm.. are they still planning on installing new cars where you sit in pairs like Space Mountain?
    I think they cancelled that plan. I think the new plan is to install the kind of seatbelts you would find at Indy and Soarin. But I have not heard anything new yet.

But the fact that a Single Bobsled was sitting alone questions me.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.

• Banned User

I think they cancelled that plan. I think the new plan is to install the kind of seatbelts you would find at Indy and Soarin. But I have not heard anything new yet.

But the fact that a Single Bobsled was sitting alone questions me.
    Perhaps it was awaiting being removed from the track to go into refurbishment backstage. Only a guess.

• Coronus, The Terminator

My best guess is that it is sitting on the transfer track. Other than that I can't really judge anything without a picture. But if it was really running on the track, then I have no idea. Really peculiar, and I haven't seen it before.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Yeah it's on the storage track (Note this is 1 of 3 rides at DL where you can see the storage area for vehicles as well as the JC and RoA Boats)

It is red tagged so I think it's just there for some minor refurbishments. It's either going out or coming in. The cars can be disconnected when needed, but cannot run on the track alone.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Coronus, The Terminator

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post
    Yeah it's on the storage track (Note this is 1 of 3 rides at DL where you can see the storage area for vehicles as well as the JC and RoA Boats)

It is red tagged so I think it's just there for some minor refurbishments. It's either going out or coming in. The cars can be disconnected when needed, but cannot run on the track alone.
    I figured.
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

Yeah I'm pretty sure they abandoned the new side by side style bobsleds. A few weeks ago they had a new pair of the current style bobsleds. My sister had to cycle it through, so boring that is. I can ask her tomorrow about that one bobsled but Eric5675 has the reason basically.

• We Go On.

Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    They'd have to rebuild the entire support structure in order for the ride to accomodate the change in weight.

To my understanding, the side-by-side seating was never a plan. They did get our hopes up with this prototype, three-seater bobsled with lap bars a while ago, however (Think WDW Space Mountain).

• We Want The Redhead

Quote Originally Posted by Eric5675 View Post

Yup, that's the one. The siding sort of resembles the handicapped access on Space Mountain, sort of a side to side link up with the main line, but I've never actually seen it move.
    Thanks Eric!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Future Indy Castmember

Speaking of red tag, I didn't see a red tag on it. Either A.) It was on the other side of the vehicle were I couldn't see it or B) It wasn't put on yet.

But Eric675's reasoing does seem to be valid unless we hear something else different.

Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Speaking of red tag, I didn't see a red tag on it. Either A.) It was on the other side of the vehicle were I couldn't see it or B) It wasn't put on yet.

But Eric675's reasoing does seem to be valid unless we hear something else different.
    A red tag, for clarification, means a red cloth loop strapped on to the front handle meaning "do not use", Since it's only 1, I assume they would have that one there (and to my knowledge they do). They also have Yellow (Must have 72 hrs waiting before using), and green (good to go after a test run).

The tracks do switch. It must be done in order to move cars on and off in order to shut down the ride. It switches just like SM. They will also occasionally pull one car off fully loaded in order to open the block in order to prevent a station back up that would cause a cascade stop shutting down the ride
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

• Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by WDITrent View Post
    They'd have to rebuild the entire support structure in order for the ride to accomodate the change in weight.

To my understanding, the side-by-side seating was never a plan. They did get our hopes up with this prototype, three-seater bobsled with lap bars a while ago, however (Think WDW Space Mountain).
    This one, right?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Didymus View Post
    This one, right?
    Yessir.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast