• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Flying into Ontario - good for Newport Beach. So why is Disney supporting this?

There is an interesting article in today's Daily Pilot (the local paper for Newport Beach and Costa Mesa) about the possibility of Disney offering incentives for DLR-bound tourists to fly into Ontario instead of John Wayne.

John Wayne Airport is on unincorporated county land located between the cities of Newport Beach, Costa Mesa, and Irvine. The flight path for John Wayne goes diectly over these cities, Newport Beach especially. These cities do not want John Wayne to expand, and it already is undergoing an expansion. And these cities to not want it to expand any further. So this idea really is due to these cities' efforts.

I wonder, though, why would Disney also be going along with this? They will be offering incentives for people to fly into Ontario, but that airport is considerably farther away. And travelling to Disneyland from Ontario during rush hour could be quite the bear. I don't think Disney would wind up on the winning end of this situation but they seem to want to encourage it.

What's going on here? And what do you think?

Daily Pilot - Serving Newport Beach & Costa Mesa, California
    Last edited by DisneyIPresume; 12-05-2009 at 09:06 AM. Reason: Spelling

• We Want The Redhead

Re: Flying into Ontario - good for Newport Beach. So why is Disney supporting this?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Ontario, but that airport is considerably farther away. And travelling to Disneyland from Ontario during rush hour could be quite the bear.
    I feel sorry for any tourist not familiar with Southern California to get suckered into that deal. On a map they may appear to be reasonably close, but what a drive!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Beach Expert

Re: Flying into Ontario - good for Newport Beach. So why is Disney supporting this?

Quote Originally Posted by ttrocc7007 View Post
    I feel sorry for any tourist not familiar with Southern California to get suckered into that deal. On a map they may appear to be reasonably close, but what a drive!
    I totally agree. It's not all that far but factor in traffic and it can take well over an hour. At John Wayne with the worst amount of traffic it won't take more than 45-50 minutes and if you take surface streets you can get there in leas than a half hour.

Why Disney, through offering cost incentives, is supporting this is beyond me. It's not so much the time or distance factor as it is the additional wear and tear this puts on their guests. This really isn't a good idea IMO.

• Banned User

what?! John Wayne is right next to the free-way I use to get to Disneyland, even closer than I am to Disneyland. From my house it takes 20 min. max. from John Wayne, it should be slightly less than that, about 15 minutes.
    40-45 minutes to get to Disneyland from John Wayne?... no way.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

I think Disney is for it due to the fact that LAX World Airports (Operators of ONT) is saying they would help pay for the transporation to the Park, and might even pay for the entire thing.

Similar to what is offered in Orlando. Free buses to and from Ontario to the Disneyland Resort area, and Disney doesn't have to pay a dime.....
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

ok i thought ontario was in canada, and apparently i'm wrong.

so where is ontario?
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Ontario Airport is about 40 miles in driving distance from Disneyland, on the eastern edge of the LA/Riverside County line.

Welcome to LA/Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    I think Disney is for it due to the fact that LAX World Airports (Operators of ONT) is saying they would help pay for the transporation to the Park, and might even pay for the entire thing.

Similar to what is offered in Orlando. Free buses to and from Ontario to the Disneyland Resort area, and Disney doesn't have to pay a dime.....
    That makes a LOT of sense and very well be the reasoning. I was thinking it was an effort to reduce air traffic over the resort area, since Ontario is to the north, but I may be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post

ONT, which is owned by Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA), is offering some nice incentives to Disney. ONT is underperforming, so my guess is that the LAWA is doing what it can to make it more attractive.

Over the last 10 years, I've lived in Rancho Cucamonga (5 miles north of ONT) and on the edge of UCI (a couple miles from John Wayne SNA). I would guess that on average it takes 15 minutes longer from ONT than from SNA. I would not see this as a major issue at all. And traffic from SNA is just as bad as from ONTl. It's taken me well over an hour to make it to DL from SNA on many occasions.

• Beach Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    what?! John Wayne is right next to the free-way I use to get to Disneyland, even closer than I am to Disneyland. From my house it takes 20 min. max. from John Wayne, it should be slightly less than that, about 15 minutes.
    40-45 minutes to get to Disneyland from John Wayne?... no way.
    I said at the worst. You're right. But if you rake the 55 to the 5 and it's bumper to bumper all the way it will take a long time. But there are surface streets that you can take to make it go quick. No traffic it's 15 minutes easy.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

My favorite Airport for Disneyland is Long Beach (LGB)... same distance as John Wayne, but it is basically a straight shot, down Ball Road (also known as Wardlow Road in Long Beach). Much smaller than John Wayne, which is good and bad, good for those who can fly in, alas, being small is equal to not many flights arriving, the main airline is Jet Blue, and Alaska has a couple of flights. But it is the BEST option is you can get a flight.

Ontario is the same basic distance as LAX, but due to competition, the cost of a shuttle van is much more expensive. Gray Line does not service Ontario with its Disneyland Express Buses. So the best option currently is a rental Car.

• Nerd

Long Beach Airport is GREAT!.. Ontario is a bear. I feel sorry for unsuspecting out of towners.

• Beach Expert

The article does state that this might be temporary until Anaheim can establish it's ARTIC transportation center. I'm curious then how Joun Wayne would tie into this when this happens.

• Support MC - Go GOLD!

Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    Long Beach Airport is GREAT!.. Ontario is a bear. I feel sorry for unsuspecting out of towners.
    Agree
    Don't like ONT (I have to use it when I visit my friends).
    SNA is a tad better.
    Also, if you want to take a super shuttle from ONT to Disneyland it will cost you about three times the amount of what the Super Shuttle from SNA to Disneyland will cost you.

A few years ago (sometime during the 50th) ONT had Disney banners up all over the place (much more than SNA) and ONT also had announcements about it vs none at SNA.

Also W/ ONT you have to stand in another line just to drop off your luggge to TSA (unlike other airports, SNA included, that send it over to TSA after check-in).
    Quote by Al:
    To that end I'd like the Internet community to join me in reminding the Disney company that "it all started with Walt." As you can see below we've created some T-shirts, plus a few simple graphics that you can copy and paste into your websites to let folks know how you feel.
    -Al Lutz