Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Future Animator

Lightbulb Where are the Creative Disney Rides?

I was just thinking when was the last time that the Disneyland Resort received a completely unique, totally immersive attraction that wasn't based off of a Disney film or a Pixar film? I'm talking about the ones like Tower of Terror where they had to create and design a totally new story (with the backdrop of Twilight Zone).

Not to say the Disney and Pixar attractions aren't creative and immersive. I just think the Disney Imagineers shine the most when they are making attractions completely out of their own imaginations. The most recent of these has been Mystic Manor at Hong Kong Disneyland. But I want to pick all of your brains on the attraction that was made for Disneyland Resort and not brought here from another park, like Tower of Terror.

The only attractions that come to mind that were most recent have been the California Adventure rides, like Screamin', GRR, Soarin' Over California. And even some of those aren't fully immersive like Tower.

Have any of you guys thought up a unique experience or attraction that would fit well in one of these two parks?

• MC's #1 Mars Volta fan

Re: Where are the Creative Disney Rides?

If we're including things based on movies, but with new stories, then Indy, and before that Star Tours, then all the way back to Space and Big Thunder. Splash still has basically the same plot as the movie so I guess it doesn't count.
    The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter!
    http://mongrelarchitect.tumblr.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/coolstoryaj

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

splash was based off a movie? really?
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• User

Quote Originally Posted by GummiBears_Rock View Post
    splash was based off a movie? really?
    Yep! It's based off the animated segments in the 1946 movie Song of the South. Disney won't release it in the U.S. because it's "racist" (i still feel that Dumbo and Peter Pan are worse in regards to stereotypes and everything). Most of the music you hear in the queue is from the film, and you know all those sayings on the walls in the queue? Quotes from the movie.

Sadly, the most of the current generation (as in late '80s to now) hasn't even heard of it. Unless of course you had the Classic Disney CDs that told you what Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah was from or the Sing A Long Songs that had clips from the movie. Which is how I found out about it. The only way to see it now is pretty much a bootleg, because it was released in some other countries, such as England and Japan. I find it really sad. I strongly support a DVD release.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post

The only attractions that come to mind that were most recent have been the California Adventure rides, like Screamin', GRR, Soarin' Over California. And even some of those aren't fully immersive like Tower.
    wait, so are you saying that California Scream'n is more immersive than Tower of Terror (as well as other rides like Indiana Jones, and Splash Mountain. ok, so Screamin' isn't based on a movie, that doesn't make it better than movie-based rides...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    wait, so are you saying that California Scream'n is more immersive than Tower of Terror (as well as other rides like Indiana Jones, and Splash Mountain. ok, so Screamin' isn't based on a movie, that doesn't make it better than movie-based rides...
    I think the OP is saying that the other rides mentioned (including Screamin') are not as immersive as Tower is, counting Tower as an example of a recent original ride that is immersive. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, OP ) (BTW, Tower is loosely based on a TV show, putting it somewhat in company with movie-based rides, though like Indy, its story is original.)

I agree, not being based on a movie does not make an attraction automatically better than one that is. Splash is one of my favorite rides in DL, and it is movie-based. Still, it would be nice to see some original-to-the-DLR ideas come to light, as they did in the olden days. It would also be nice to see the new movie-based attractions more focused on immersive environments and guest experiences, and less focused on selling plush, so there would be less of a reason to make a distinction between movie-based and non-movie-based rides.
    Last edited by animagusurreal; 12-05-2009 at 05:22 PM.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

• FastPass n00b

There's really nothing left to do that's completely and totally original. If you do something long enough, eventually the idea well dries up. Just look at movies, 40 years ago the plots were simpler and far more powerful. But today movies are simply rehashes of the same things that have been done over the decades... there comes a time when all the low-hanging fruit has been picked and you have to squeeze every last bit of creativity out of existing ideas.

As for Song of the South, I think it's a shame that there is now a complete generation that is totally unaware of its existence. I remember The Disney Channel (as in, the REAL Disney Channel) used to put clips of it all the time in the mid-80's. After 1986 it was banned from the United States forever so it is now possible to be an adult age and never have even seen a clip of it! It's a brilliant movie with a good lesson for kids growing up. Basically, the gist of it is that you can't run away from your problems.

It's somewhat dated today, Br'er Bear is impressed with Br'er Rabbit making an alleged "Dol-la a minute!" by hanging in Br'er Fox's trap, which is $60 an hour and just about the average salary need to live in Anaheim nowadays. I never have found the so-called "racist" aspect of the film... if anything, I'd say that it promotes inter-racial tolerance. Everyone gets along in that film.

It was banned by Michael Eisner and everyone felt that by him leaving the film might have a chance to be released around 2006/2007, but nowadays it's just simply Disney Tradition to keep it from reaching DVD.

• Future Animator

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    No. I said Screamin' as well as others are not as immersive as Tower of Terror.

Quote Originally Posted by animagusurreal View Post
    I think the OP is saying that the other rides mentioned (including Screamin') are not as immersive as Tower is, counting Tower as an example of a recent original ride that is immersive. (Correct me if I'm wrong on this, OP ) (BTW, Tower is loosely based on a TV show, putting it somewhat in company with movie-based rides, though like Indy, its story is original.)
    Correct.

And in my original post I did recognize that Tower of Terror had the Twilight Zone backdrop. So technically it has elements of a related entertainment entity. But basically why I posted this thread is because I love the rides like Tower who make and tell its own story. Indiana Jones Adventure and Star Tours also go in this category. Attractions like Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo Subs are basically their movie counterparts but in ride form, which is not bad, but I enjoy going on an attraction knowing that the story only lives there, in that medium. Does that make sense?

Wouldn't it be incredible if Disney made a new attraction like Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Tiki Room, Carousel of Progrees, or It's a Small World? Mystic Manor may in fact be the return of these type of attractions.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Yeti Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Athlonacon View Post
    There's really nothing left to do that's completely and totally original. If you do something long enough, eventually the idea well dries up. Just look at movies, 40 years ago the plots were simpler and far more powerful. But today movies are simply rehashes of the same things that have been done over the decades... there comes a time when all the low-hanging fruit has been picked and you have to squeeze every last bit of creativity out of existing ideas.
    People always say that in every generation, and I think they've always been proven wrong. There are always creative people and original ideas floating out there. A lot of the themes in Disneyland are broad: fairytales, space men, cowboys, exploration and history. There are still many original concepts one could bounce off of those very broad subjects without resorting to some movie/character cash-in.

The problem is that Disney is no longer concerned with being a creative company; no longer willing to take risks on original and artistic endeavors. Whatever creativity is left at WDI comes out in spite of being anchored to the dogma that insists that all attractions must be based on a pre-existing film property...not because of it.

It was banned by Michael Eisner and everyone felt that by him leaving the film might have a chance to be released around 2006/2007, but nowadays it's just simply Disney Tradition to keep it from reaching DVD.
    Song Of The South has never been "banned" by anyone. Banning is something that totalitarian governments do. What Disney has done is put the film on a permanent(?) moratorium in the United States. It's been available on home video in Europe and Japan.

What keeps them from releasing it is fear, much of it misplaced, that groups like the NAACP would protest any release of this film, even if it were some sort of limited Disney Treasure release aimed at collectors.

• =)

There's really nothing left to do that's completely and totally original.
    I disagree 100% - there's still plenty of "original" possibilities. But I put "original" in quotes because most of what we consider original isn't. Your premise that there are "completely and totally original" ideas is false. There's nothing new under the sun - and that includes the idea that there's nothing new under the sun. Humanity has been mostly bankrupt when it comes to true originality for a long, long time, and that's okay. Doesn't mean we can't keep putting together old elements together with new twists.

• User

As for Song of the South, I think it's a shame that there is now a complete generation that is totally unaware of its existence.

After 1986 it was banned from the United States forever so it is now possible to be an adult age and never have even seen a clip of it! It's a brilliant movie with a good lesson for kids growing up. Basically, the gist of it is that you can't run away from your problems.
    I agree. And I should technically be in this audience.... I've actually given two persuasive speeches on why I think it should be released... one just a few weeks ago. And most of the peer critics had something about how they couldn't connect to the topic.

And it's not technically banned. They just won't release it because they're scared that it might be viewed out of context.

I never have found the so-called "racist" aspect of the film... if anything, I'd say that it promotes inter-racial tolerance. Everyone gets along in that film.
    I can't really see anything wrong with it either.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjedi1 View Post
    Yep! It's based off the animated segments in the 1946 movie Song of the South. Disney won't release it in the U.S. because it's "racist" (i still feel that Dumbo and Peter Pan are worse in regards to stereotypes and everything). Most of the music you hear in the queue is from the film, and you know all those sayings on the walls in the queue? Quotes from the movie.
    Well, first and foremost, Song of the South is NOT racist. While there are some totally uninformed or overly sensitive ignorant people who are just against the movie for no rational reason, any rational person who has seen the film will realize that is is a very non-racist movie with good interracial interactions.

• User

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Well, first and foremost, Song of the South is NOT racist. While there are some totally uninformed or overly sensitive ignorant people who are just against the movie for no rational reason, any rational person who has seen the film will realize that is is a very non-racist movie with good interracial interactions.
    Oh I know that it's not racist! That's why I put it in quotes. I want it released. (Ummmm See my signature.)

I agree, people just look for things to be racist these days it seems. Especially for something that they've either never seen or don't remember too well. I don't really understand why Song of the South gets so much negativity, while no one really minds Dumbo getting yet another re-release to Home Video (well DVD and Blu Ray, but you know what I mean) next year.

• =)

I think the main point of contention with Song of the South is that some people think it suggests that black slaves were perfectly content with their lot in life, since Uncle Remus is such a happy guy. Of course, the problem there is that Uncle Remus isn't a slave, I don't think. The story takes place after the Civil War.

• Future Animator

There's really nothing left to do that's completely and totally original.
    Starting with the basic Greek Mythology Hero stories, they had a basic layout of an arc of a good story. Just about every movie has a loose form of this "arc of a story". This basic layout has just proven that it works for every audience and has stood through the test of time. But what makes a movie truly unique is from the creator's imagination. Original ideas are just waiting to be conceived. I faith that just "as long as there is imagination left in the world, Disneyland will never be completed", also acts the same for good classic storytelling.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast