Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Dreaming of Disney...

Question Pixar take over??

Many people are mad at disney for allowing pixar to so called "Take Over". Me I'd take pixar taking over any day, which I dont believe it is, rather than having something like Marvel characters or Universal "Take Over". At least Pixar is and always has been in disney style unlike Most if not all of Marvel or Universal.
    I accept all that is being put in the parks, Pixar is a major part of Disney now with John so high up in Disney.
    In some things yes I have not liked the pixar stuff like the block party, bugs land (to much for kids and just in the way) and I'm not a big fan of Toy Story the Musical (Ive only seen pix but I think It looks stupid) but for the most part the things like Buzz, Monsters (ok could be better), Nemo, Toy Story Mania, the future cars land, and (personally my favorite parade ever) the Pixar Play Parade are all great and add to the fun and magic.
    Of course this is my personal opinion. What about you?
    "All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." Walt Disney

Now I understand that "Blue Sky" means "No limits, nothing is a bad idea, everything is possible," along with "May never happen." But I prefer to define it this way: "Blue Sky = Hope." Unknown Author

• Banned User

Re: Pixar take over??

Pixar is great, and they do have their moments, but Disney is using them as a cash cow and not tapping into their own vault of Disney classics that are not represented in the parks.

I really, really love Pixar, and really hate when people whine about the films being over used in the parks, but I can see where they're coming from... sort of. I think Toy Story/Cars/Finding Nemo (maybe Bugs Life.) are definetely getting to that line of "way, way, too much" (or they might of already crossed it) that now Disney fans are starting to reject any Pixar film representation at all. Like how people were getting touchy about an Up attraction in the parks...

• Pongo is my hero.

Pixar can't help it creates amazing characters that appeal to a variety of demographics, but I do think DCA is overusing Toy Story . (a huge Pixar fan here) I'd still love to see Wall-E, Up, and Ratatouille get featured in the parks, but I don't blame you wanting DAS classics represented more. Hopefully in the future they will be.

Also, Laseter being a high up in Disney creative helps Pixar get in the parks.

one hundred and one

• Future Animator

I am also another Pixar lover. But about the Pixar "take-over", I don't think it exists. I do, however, think there is a lack of Classic Disney being added to the parks. We should be more upset and frustrated over the lack of new Classic Disney being added rather than getting angry at all the new Pixar attractions.

I'm not a huge fan of the Pixar Play Parade though... I get too wet. And it's cold in California at the moment.

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• =)

I am utterly in awe of Pixar and its films. They consistently produce films that are wonderful on just about every level. They have brilliant animation, humor, sensible messages that aren't usually overdone, very interesting story premises, excitement, engaging characters, great music, etc. So I have VERY few complaints about Pixar, even when it comes to the films I don't enjoy quite as much as the others (e.g. Ratatouille, Cars).

But.

Disney has been usurping their ownership of Pixar. The number of Pixar-based elements has been disproportionately high, and most of them have other issues that deprive them of the brilliant originality of the films they're based on. IMO, Disney would be much wiser to adopt Pixar's methods and attitudes and approaches more than its existing films and characters.

• Herr Ducktor!

Let me put it this way: if Disney hadn't bought Pixar, eventually Pixar would have been buying Disney.

Disney had, frankly, lost its way when it came to storytelling and artistic quality. Y'all remember Hercules, or Atlantis? Oy. Pixar came out of nowhere and schooled them in what USED to be at the core of Disney entertainments, which was a true sense of wonder, and heart.

The Disney/Pixar deal was structured in such a way that creative control devolved to Pixar visionaries--a sign that Disney understood what it was buying, which frankly was a heart transplant. When you consider that Pixar is deeply suffused with a love for Walt-era standards and spirit, this is one of the most fortuitous deals ever struck, in my opinion. That the first big release under Lassiter is PATF sends a very big message: the new company is going to be MORE quintessentially Disney, not less.

• =)

Well, I actually thought Atlantis was a surprisingly mature and interesting Disney movie, but other than that, I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

• User

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    Y'all remember Hercules, or Atlantis?
    Yes, actually. And you know what? I LOVE them. I actually saw Atlantis twice opening day. And don't get me started on Hercules... (I watched that every day for a week a couple years ago.)

EDIT: Oh and Kida is definitely my favorite Disney princess.

• Herr Ducktor!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyjedi1 View Post
    Oh and Kida is definitely my favorite Disney princess.
    I'm certainly not disparaging anyone's enthusiasms; if you liked a film, more power to you.

But Kida didn't make it to the pantheon of Disney princesses, did she? Neither of those films had significant resonance with audiences, and lost vast sums of money. A few more films like that, and there wouldn't have been a Disney animated films division. Just miles and miles of Miley Cyrus and the like.

I like Mulan, personally. But hey, Pixar is the most successful movie studio OF ALL TIME. Not just animation studio, but movie studio--no one has ever had a greater string of blockbuster hits. They've tapped into the zeitgeist in a way that no one has since...well, Walt Disney. Considering what could have happened, I'm very happy to see these forces converge.

• Banned User

the pixar films are my favorite Disney movies. I love them.

• =)

I'm certainly not disparaging anyone's enthusiasms; if you liked a film, more power to you. But Kida didn't make it to the pantheon of Disney princesses, did she? Neither of those films had significant resonance with audiences, and lost vast sums of money.
    Stop making sense and being respectful of others' opinions! It's most unseemly on an Internet forum! Hahaha...

• Herr Ducktor!

Ha! I'm a professorial duck, not a pit bull, I guess.

• User

I'm certainly not disparaging anyone's enthusiasms; if you liked a film, more power to you.
    Oh I know, I'm just saying... there are people who liked those films.

But Kida didn't make it to the pantheon of Disney princesses, did she?
    Kida's too good for them.

Neither of those films had significant resonance with audiences, and lost vast sums of money.
    Go up to nearly anyone my age (late teens) and they'll tell tell you differently about Hercules. Practically EVERYONE I know LOVES that movie.

I like Mulan, personally.
    I like Mulan too, but not in the Princess line.

But then again it's hard to find a film from Feature Animation that I don't like. There aren't that many of those. I think I've found redeeming qualities in all the films... even Home on the Range.

• Minion

Pixar's great. In theory, I have no problem with them having a presence in the parks. I also have no problem with Star Tours or Indy being in the park.

The thing is, Star Tours and Indy were placed into appropriate lands, given tons of theming in their queues and focused on the guest experience rather pushing the "star" characters from the movies. The Pixar attractions, thus far, have not been done that way.

The other thing is that, while the Disney classics (the ones represented in the parks, anyway) typically take you to a fairy tale Once Upon a Time - and that's what Fantasyland was designed specifically to represent - the Pixar films typically take place in our familiar, modern world, but seen from a unique perspective or with a unique twist. That doesn't mean they can't fit into Disney parks, but I think that distinction should be taken into account by the Imagineers, and so far, I don't think it has.

The OTHER other thing is that, for a very long time, there has been no balance of original attractions to offset the number of movie-based attractions added to the park. Since 90% of those movie based attractions these days seem to be based on Pixar movies, that's why people often cry, "not another Pixar attraction!" Not to mention that it all seems to be based on merchandising. That's why we get three Toy Story attractions, two Nemo attractions, and an entire Cars land, but the proposed Ratatouille ride got the axe - seemingly not because of whether or not it would be a good ride or whether it would fit in the land, but because it doesn't have the merchandising power that the others do.
    "Happy Working Song" parody for DCA remodel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-TYESfNTP8&feature=plcp

Retro Rant Review of "The Hunchback of Notre Dame II" (comedy review of direct-to-video
    Disney sequel):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../1/q1j7FU8QXu0
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/user/animagus.../0/sasNTMDRBLU

Retro Rant Review of "Home on the Range" (comedy review of Disney movie):
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7mC-...feature=relmfu
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoUie...feature=relmfu
    Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3Vea...feature=relmfu

Visit my site: http://www.vividgroovy.com

Pratfall the albatross superheroine visits the Carthay Circle Theatre.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast