Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Knight that says Nee!!

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle- Hope I don't get killed for saying this! (not literally)

Quote Originally Posted by snowwhite9011 View Post
    I hope I don't get in trouble with you fellow Disney-lovers for saying this, bbbbbut....

I think the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle is rather "chinsey"..I said it. I'm sorry. But I do think it! I feel like Walt loved things to be so grande, and special, yet this castle looks like something out of a mini-golf park.

I do very much so like Disneyland Paris' castle. It's so whimsical and pretty..The tall-ness of it makes it look so regal, like it almost feels like you shouldn't touch, look, or walk through it.
    You have to put it all in the right context. SBC was the first. It is not the biggest nor probably the best designed. It looks a bit miniature golfish because (as Steve said) the current paint scheme pushes it away from the "realistic base" that it should have.

But it has the most history. It is the only castle featured in a photo with Walt. It has (as others mentioned) a legacy. The others came along when the Disney company could afford to build them bigger and maybe even grander. But the reason they could do so was because this one came first and paved the way.

That's my 2 cents (before taxes)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Re: Sleeping Beauty Castle- Hope I don't get killed for saying this! (not literally)

Quote Originally Posted by sassy*tink View Post
    I also have to disagree, I love the castle!

But, correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Walt make it smaller on purpose? Because when Castle's were around the bigger it was, the more intimidating it was. Like a way to scare off people and show not to mess with the king that lives there. I think Walt wanted his castles to not be scary and intimidating, but friendly and welcoming.
    He had absolutely no idea there was going to be another castle at the time he built SBC. So he didn't make it smaller "on purpose". He just built a castle to what he thought was best for Disneyland. If he though a ginormous castle like Cindrella Castle would be better for DL then he would have built something more similar to that. But he didn't.

So I think it's safe to say the SBC is the primary and best of all the Disney castles out there. The rest of them are just speculation as to what he may have wanted when in reality no one has any clue.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Disney "Colorful"

I have to agree a little bit, I love the style and history of the castle but now I think it is just to small.. weee bit bigger!

Web-hosting: 3dxhosting.com | Blog: anthonyhays.com | Pictures: Flickr | Facebook: Cakvala

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

I personally love pink, so I have no problem with the color, also as far as size, Disneyland itself it not that big in comparison to WDW, so I think a smaller castle for a smaller land is just fine. I don't know, it's not like I walk up to it and think, wow, what a small castle! lol
    Yaye!

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    You have to put it all in the right context. SBC was the first. It is not the biggest nor probably the best designed. It looks a bit miniature golfish because (as Steve said) the current paint scheme pushes it away from the "realistic base" that it should have.

But it has the most history. It is the only castle featured in a photo with Walt. It has (as others mentioned) a legacy. The others came along when the Disney company could afford to build them bigger and maybe even grander. But the reason they could do so was because this one came first and paved the way.

That's my 2 cents (before taxes)
    Maybe it is just the pink? I feel like if it was in a White/creme/blue scheme it would be SO much more appealing. I always look at WDW castle and admire it

• Minion

I always thought the castle was a peach color. Its only pink at night

Blog Entries

Well, at least it's not neon green and glows in the dark!
    Yaye!

• Lord of the Sky

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    From some locations, it does seem too short, like it's missing an entire floor.

But with the Matterhorn next to it, they can't really make it taller because you wouldn't want a castle taller than a mountain.
    It is all in the scale....
    Sorry to say one in WDW , Magic Kingdom ,
    looks like big cement block...
    I would not want there's at, Disneyland!
    Soaring like an EAGLE !

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I always look at WDW castle and admire it
    I always look at WDW castle and think, "What a monstrosity!"

• Herr Ducktor!

I hope I don't get in trouble with you fellow Disney-lovers for saying this, bbbbbut....

I think the Disneyland Sleeping Beauty Castle is rather "chinsey"..I said it. I'm sorry. But I do think it! I feel like Walt loved things to be so grande, and special, yet this castle looks like something out of a mini-golf park.

I do very much so like Disneyland Paris' castle. It's so whimsical and pretty..The tall-ness of it makes it look so regal, like it almost feels like you shouldn't touch, look, or walk through it.

I think the word you're invoking is chintzy. If so, you're not in "trouble" with me...I certainly don't mind your expressing your opinion. As long as you allow me to beg to differ.

If you look at early renderings for DL, the Castle loomed large. It got re-apportioned as planning progressed, and not for economic reasons. Walt wasn't scrimping in any corner of the park, and certainly not for the centerpiece.

The thing is, the castle isn't really a castle. It's an entryway. Making it bigger would a.) have sucked up some prime real estate, and b.) become an object to be visited in itself, rather than passed through. (As you know, the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was added years later, as an afterthought, to make use of what little space there was).

I like walking through the castle, then emerging almost immediately in the open, fair-like space of Fantasyland. Real life castles are dark corners and cold stone; not really that much fun to explore (my kids dislike even entering the SB walkthrough).

The castles in Florida and Paris are bigger, but proportionally so: they're portals to larger Fantasylands. I've long been impressed by the DLR castle, as it represents a clear sense of experience-oriented, not statement-oriented, architecture.

And if it reminds you of miniature golf, that's because hundreds of courses have been systematically ripping off Disneyland for decades. While that may understandably influence the way one sees it, the structure deserves to be experienced (and appreciated) on its own terms.

Blog Entries

I didn't really think of the front of the castle as an entry way but it makes sense, so Fantasyland is the rest of the kingdom behind the castle, it totally fits!
    Yaye!

• Shifting cargo

I do see how the other castles may seem a big more majestic. I however have to disagree with you. It's not only the original castle which makes it magical, but I really love the color and the overall design. I totally see where you're coming from, but I love the castle just fine

"Well I don't know about you folks, but it's way past my bedtime."

Quote Originally Posted by von Drake View Post
    I think the word you're invoking is chintzy. If so, you're not in "trouble" with me...I certainly don't mind your expressing your opinion. As long as you allow me to beg to differ.

If you look at early renderings for DL, the Castle loomed large. It got re-apportioned as planning progressed, and not for economic reasons. Walt wasn't scrimping in any corner of the park, and certainly not for the centerpiece.

The thing is, the castle isn't really a castle. It's an entryway. Making it bigger would a.) have sucked up some prime real estate, and b.) become an object to be visited in itself, rather than passed through. (As you know, the Sleeping Beauty walkthrough was added years later, as an afterthought, to make use of what little space there was).

I like walking through the castle, then emerging almost immediately in the open, fair-like space of Fantasyland. Real life castles are dark corners and cold stone; not really that much fun to explore (my kids dislike even entering the SB walkthrough).

The castles in Florida and Paris are bigger, but proportionally so: they're portals to larger Fantasylands. I've long been impressed by the DLR castle, as it represents a clear sense of experience-oriented, not statement-oriented, architecture.

And if it reminds you of miniature golf, that's because hundreds of courses have been systematically ripping off Disneyland for decades. While that may understandably influence the way one sees it, the structure deserves to be experienced (and appreciated) on its own terms.
    Macbook Pro's spelling errors corrected me to = "Chinsey" , still don't know how to work this damn thing!

I do agree it shouldn't be "wider", but taller would be nice. I heard a rumor it was put on backwards?? (i.e. that part that faces Fantasyland should face main street..).

As I said before; the pink. I hate the pink. bleck! Its an awful color..it needs to either be no pink, or more pink, because the muted salmon color is atrocious.

But I do value your opinion, and agree with alot of it. The castle is iconic, and the original..Altering it would be a shame as it was the way Walt designed it; however, I can still think it should've been built bigger

Blog Entries

If they built it bigger they could have used it as a ATC tower for the airport, jk
    Yaye!

yes its small but i think it fits well with the scale of the rest of the park. The only problem is that sometimes the castle is not very visible from the rest of mainstreet when the trees are left to grow to much.

I personally do not like the one in WDW or tokyo but i do like the one in Paris.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast