Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

• We Want The Redhead

Re: New Years Eve 2010 Questions

I just spoke to the phone info operator for the PPH.
    "We advise all our guests that if they intend to enjoy the evenings festivities inside the park, that once they get inside the park, to stay inside the park."
    No preference is given to hotel guests, handstamps, or anyone else. When they close the gates, the gates are closed!
    I intend to arrive at 8 AM, and stay through the night. They'll have to drag me out!
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

• Yeah.....

Quote Originally Posted by equustel View Post
    This may seem like an odd question, but - a friend of mine is visiting on New Year's Eve, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to take him to Downtown Disney late in the evening to watch the fireworks. Are they even that visible from outside the park? What's the best place to view them if you can't get into the park?

Much obliged for any info, I don't want to head up to the craziness without a better idea of what I'm getting into!
    I'll have a map for you in a bit

• Yeah.....

Ok, here are your best options for direct views straight into backstage:

The area circled in red is going to be the general area where all of the pyro will be launched from, excluding any castle pyro of course.

The yellow area is going to be the best view available, from the roof of the Mickey & Friends parking structure. It is also a well known spot, so there will definitely be lots of people lining the rooftop alongside you.

The green strip is on Ball Rd. pretty much anywhere on the sidewalks on the big overpass above the 5 right there. You've got a great view straight into the launch zone directly in front of you. I can't say from experience that there would be fewer people there, but I know that there will be some. I remember a few years ago, we saw groups of people camped out on the bridge with lawn chairs and blankets close to midnight. Crazy!

The blue zone is just a guess at a good viewing spot. I know that the drive across the Harbor Blvd. overpass gives a great peek straight into the launch zone, but I can't confirm this as a feasible sidewalk spot.

If you're wanting to be closer to the parks and all the hustle and bustle of DTD, here:

The red blotches are areas that were roped off as strictly designated fireworks viewing areas. There might have been a few more spots, but that's just what I remember. People were hoarded in like cattle while party hats with noisemakers and horns were passed out like candy. I would imagine that the view was just ok with all the trees and showbuildings in the way. Really, the farther out towards the parking lots you get, the better.

And then the blue circle is of course the esplanade. Now I honestly don't know what they do with this area. I would think they would let people in to sit down and watch, but I can't say for sure.

I hope that helped!

Thanks for the info "Mac Daddy"! I guess I'll have to get there as early as possible. Happy New Years everyone!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345