Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rocket Rods

• :)

Question Rocket Rods

does anybody miss rocket rods? I hear nothing but hate towards it by my fellow employee's and peers about the ex disney ride...I actually enjoyed and liked it, anybody know why it was removed to begin with?

• Earth Intruder

Re: Rocket Rods

We've probably talked about this elsewhere, but it generally has to do with the fact that they cheaped out on banking the turns. The cars had to stop and start again so often that they'd break constantly. It was simply too expensive and faulty a system to keep going.
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

Founding Member of the BA!

eh yea..those turns we'rent the smoothest, still loved it though... :P

• Earth Intruder

It was kind of fun when you sat in the very front seat. I always used to joke about the lack of theming though -- the only "themed" room was apparently "themed" to the red blinky lights on autoflush bathroom toilets. Whee!
    I am grateful... grapefruit! ~ Bjork (upon winning Best International Female Artist at the BRIT Awards)

I loved it. Because the Rods had to constantly slow down and speed up, the wheels got worn out, which required Disney to fix or purchase new wheels for the rods every month and those wheels cost roughly around $500. Plus, Rocket Rods had no sponsor at all, so no funding was coming in for the ill-fated attraction. I miss it though. The underground queue is still there. I hate riding Autopia and seeing the poor state of the Rods track. Totally abandoned. But it's been five years since its closure and they haven't done anything tp that track, so maybe they are Imagineering a new PeopleMover or new attraction for that track.
    Last edited by DLResident; 10-20-2005 at 12:04 AM.

• ...TWO BITS!

Like someone said before...

They can mix Peoplemover with the monorail system seen from "The Incredibles". This shall be deemed: "PEOPLEMOVER 2.0!" Muhaahaahaa!

That's about all they could do with the track anyways. I drew up a Peoplemover 2.0 vehicle design. It looks furturistic (looks more slick). But I don't hav a scanner. Maybe I can take a pic of it and post. But how do I post a pic?

"You're not thinking fourth dimensionally!" -Back to the Future

"With this place, I wanted to give them something real, something that wasn't an illusion, something they could see and touch. An aim devoid of merit."
    -Jurassic Park

• Earth Intruder

Quote Originally Posted by DLResident
    so mayve they are Imagineering a new PeopleMover or new attraction for that track.
    I certainly hope so, but I wouldn't be holding my breath until sometime around 2008-2009. They still have the Cars or Incredibles attraction to do in DCA, as well as the Sub lagoon....

Though it WOULD make sense to play with the track while the lagoon is drained and all...

I just hope it's a faster paced ride if ever decided to be made something of, as much as I love the slower rides....I wouldnt want to see another Whinnie the pooh or Peter pan type ride in it's place

• Animatronic

The People Mover got fast for a bit when they put in Super Speed Tunnel(tm). Boy, it felt like you were watching a bad race track film with fans blowing in your face. Then they put in the World of Tron and it felt like you were watching Tron with fans blowing in your face. Now that's not just speed, it's Super Speed!

I would like to see an enclosed ride vehicle that uses video inside the cab to create some effects while you are riding around TL. You imght create a new story line, or use the Incredibles.

•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

An interesting idea. You could have a video retrospective of Disneyland as a whole. Show the evolution of Tomorrowland, with clips from the old movies they used to show there. But not with the Incredibles. They have no place in Tomorrowland. Better off in DCA with all the other Pixar "pals".

• Scentsy Minion

Blog Entries

it's been five years already?? five years of bliss!! oohhh, good ideas all!! personally, i hated those dang rocket rods...miss the people mover, and i wanna see it come back!! whatever they do-just do something to the old tracks! fix 'em or tear 'em out!! they're an eyesore and just plain yucky!

Yes, no Incredibles tie-in. I, for one, would rather Disney go through a period where any new attraction has it's own theme, like Space Mountain and the Haunted Mansion, not movie-based. That's what Fantasyland is and was for. Whatever happened to original ideas? Well, I guess we shouldn't be surprised, as Disney has not had one original animated movie. All of their animated movies have been based on books and fairytales.

• Minion

Well one thing people dont realize is RR was a closed track. Almost all other rides have some way for broken cars to get off the track. If a Rocket Rod broke down, it would bring down them all since you would not get the broken car off the track!!! There were many many Rocket Rods, and they were VERY complex and tended to brake down often. This is what doomed the ride.

I loved the ride. I spoke with my friend who worked at WDI and helped with the Rocket Rods, and he said they cut 90% of the Rocket Rod budget. Using only 10% of the funs is why they could not make it what they wanted. Also explains the lack of theming. NO MONEY!!!

I hope those 10% years are long gone. Good riddens to bad rubish.

• Official Mice Chat person

I think they should bring them back with 100% of their budget, what a great ride it could be!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast