Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• that's right!

Re: Grizzly River Run: Enclose the rafts in winter?

That's impossible

• Just Me

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    Actually, they did design it this way. The geyser at the end of the ride that gets everyone wet during the summer is designed so that it can shut off when a raft approaches during the winter. There is a sensor in the trough that controls this.
    The final time I rode this, that was the geyser that mis-fired. It was a collish December day, we did not get overly soaked and then we began our approach to the geyser. 3' before we got to it it started shooting...we are over the top of it, still shooting...we clear it, still shooting...it finally stopped after we were out of the line of fire. I will never ride this ride again.

• no flash photography...

Quote Originally Posted by Mousey Girl
    The final time I rode this, that was the geyser that mis-fired. It was a collish December day, we did not get overly soaked and then we began our approach to the geyser. 3' before we got to it it started shooting...we are over the top of it, still shooting...we clear it, still shooting...it finally stopped after we were out of the line of fire. I will never ride this ride again.
    we went on this in the rain a few winters ago and the gyser did the same thing to us. It was so cool and fun. I opened the umbrella I had and we were all busting up with laughter..

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Quote Originally Posted by SCUBAbe
    we went on this in the rain a few winters ago and the gyser did the same thing to us. It was so cool and fun. I opened the umbrella I had and we were all busting up with laughter..
    Too wet!
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• LoisAlene

Enclosing the ride in winter wouldn't make it any better. I think it would be an expensive retrofit, not likely in today's economy.
    Bring a pair of sandals to wear, stash your shoes and socks in the free lockers and put on a tossable poncho. Sit in the center seat, the seats nearest the doorways get drenched. Laugh hysterically, ride, repeat.
    The only thing I'd change about this ride is it seems you spin the same direction the entire ride. It would be nice to get unwound - I got off the thing Dizzy.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

• Iron-Clad Allie

I wouldn't mind GRR being partially enclosed during the winter. Perhaps rhey could add glow in the dark colored pannels to the fixture so that the attraction would take on a whole new allure at night. Not many rides compare with the fun and frollic of this ride...especially the spinning drop toward the end.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 10-20-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    It seems to me that they used up an awful lot of real estate on a high capacity attraction that has such low capacity in the cold months.
    My point is that there may be some people who enjoy getting wet on this ride even though it's 50 degrees outside, but I would venture to guess that those people are in the minority.
    I'm 45. Maybe I don't have the tolerance for walking around the Park after getting wet on GRR. There's alot of people like me who don't want to get soaking wet, but still enjoy the thrill of riding GRR.
    The way it is now, makes it one more attraction at DCA I won't go on in the winter. Then I leave DCA a little bit sooner and go back over to Disneyland.
    I totally agree, and I am in my twenties.

G.R.R. is too wet.

Disney thinks getting people wet is a cheaper substitute to giving them a real show.

• Party Planning King

The Japanese public seem to have a lower tolerance for water rides and as a result there are a few rapids rides in Japan that have splash covers that are like a plastic blanket for the guests to hide under. The tarp-like shield is attached to the center of the raft and doesn't interfere with the operation of the ride(I imagine they get pretty mildewy and gross after a while though).

I tried to find a picture of the one of the rafts, but I had no luck. I did find these pictures though (pics are about half-way down the page) of a flume ride that show how weird it is to have a plastic shield on a water ride.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

Quote Originally Posted by rihard2000
    I tried to find a picture of the one of the rafts, but I had no luck. I did find these pictures though (pics are about half-way down the page) of a flume ride that show how weird it is to have a plastic shield on a water ride.
    It may look different than anything we are used to (and I don't think complete encapsulation is the answer), but at least they are getting off the ride dry.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Party Planning King

I don't think altering GRR so that people who don't like to get wet can ride is the answer either. The thrill of being splashed is the reason people ride a rapids ride. It's part of the appeal. Having a lower ridership during the cooler winter months is no reason to go changing the ride.

If you want to remain dry, don't ride. Having more attractions that the guest can enjoy while staying dry, that is the answer.

Having a lower ridership during the cooler winter months is no reason to go changing the ride.
    Yes, but not utilizing the attraction to it's potential is wasteful. Have you seen how many empty rafts go up that lift during the winter. Those rafts could be full of happy guests, if some minor changes were made in the winter only.
    Plus, Disney would realize greater merchandise sales at the GRR Outfitters, because guests that had just enjoyed the attraction would want something tangible ( sweatshirt, hat, t-shirt, etc) to show they went on the ride.

If you want to remain dry, don't ride. Having more attractions that the guest can enjoy while staying dry, that is the answer.
    Unfortunately, I won't ride the way it is now.
    And yes, I agree that more attractionjs would be better, DCA is a new park and it will take some time before Disney can bring in more attractions. So I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
    Charlie
    MiceChat User #1037

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I love that one! The Japanese have some great rides.

• Party Planning King

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Yes, but not utilizing the attraction to it's potential is wasteful. Have you seen how many empty rafts go up that lift during the winter. Those rafts could be full of happy guests, if some minor changes were made in the winter only.
    Would guests actually be happy just to float down the GRR and not get splashed? I suppose, but I would rather ride a ride of that nature while it is doing what it is designed to do. Even in the cooler months I'll ride. In fact I can't wait until Nov. 30 when I'll have 7 full days to ride as much as I want.
    Last edited by rihard2000; 10-22-2005 at 11:31 AM.

• Minion

No way!

• It's all nonsense

Sounds like a floating pope-mobile.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast