Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Disneyland Freak

Re: Grizzly River Run: Enclose the rafts in winter?

On paper, it's a good idea.

Thematically it's an awful idea.

In practice just as bad since the wetness would create humidity inside the raft and everything would end up all foggy inside from the moisture and body heat.

How wet you get is really just a luck of the draw anyway. I have gone on Grizzly with near nothing wetness and othertimes where I was mildly wet (No ride on GRR for me has been as wet as a ride on Splash)

Additionally, even in winter it's not THAT cold THAT often in Southern California that such drastic measures would be needed, IMO.

The best solution, which has been in place since the park opened is that Disney does sell ponchos and offers FREE 2-hour lockers.
    Joey AKA "dlfreak"
    www.mouseinfo.com

I'm addicted to Disneyland. Disneyland hobbies are expensive.
    If I become a bum people are going to say "Don't give him money, he's just gonna use it on Disneyland."
    Disneyland. My Anti-drug.

With all this talk of "off the shelf" and "on the back-burner" it seems the only thing that DCA is really missing is the kitchen sink!

Create your own Virtual pet today!

I think they should just not load the rafts very mush in colder months. This would reduce the wetness.

• No marbles to begin with!

For me the best part about the rides is watching the people on it getting wet. I love their reactions to it. The chance of getting wet on the ride makes it fun, for me at least. I think the first drop has the highest chance to soak passengers but isn't there a platform under it that can be raised to keep the craft from going under as much like the second drop? It just seemed like there was last time I went on it at night.

When Sea World in San Diego first opened their Rapids Ride - it was similar to Grizzly in terms of wetness. Yet some people complained, they couldn't seem to figure out that if you go on a water ride, you may get wet. So...Sea World, in the ultimate bow-down to silly complaints move, decided to remove many of the tubes in the trough that create the waves. The end result was a ride that lost a lot of its fun factor, because much of the trip is over smooth, fast flowing water. After a while, some of the wetness was added back into the ride.

I think a lot of what makes these rides appealing is the method used to get the riders wet. In Orlando, Universal Studios made a significant effort to determine the best and most fun way to get people wet on Popeye's Bilge Rat barges. The end result is one of the most fun and quite insane rapids rides I have ever been on. There are six foot waves that create nearly vertical drops that the raft tumbles over. It's really well done. In contrast, on the new Journey to Atlantis ride at Sea World, they have these stupid fountains that just turn on and squirt you right in the face. There's nothing clever about it. Where's the fun in that?

• Head Salesman

Here's the perfect solution:

Enclose the rafts in a plexiglass dome. Since the riders won't have any fun getting wet, provide them with white confetti that they can throw at each other while inside the dome. What better way is there to ride GRR during the holidays?

I'm sorry; when I started reading this thread, I immediately thought of giant snow globes. It'd be funny to see one with a snowman inside, though.
    Ask about my popular 2-for-1 sale!

Visit my site, the Disney Experience, for awesome Disney downloads. All are welcome!

• Just Me

I have a double problem with water rides. I don't like walking around in soaking wet clothes and because the water is chlorinated it triggers some major allergy attacks for me. Hubby and The Boy love GRR. They love getting soaked. That is fine, it is my choice not to ride. I find many ways ($$$) to occupy myself while they are getting drenched.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Victoria and I like GRR a lot. Winter, summer or whenever, we just remember to take our ponchos. We stay dry... butt's and all. People like to giggle and chide us for being "chickens" while we're in line. But when the ride's over... they don't laugh any more. The ponchos are lightweight, easy to carry around and fit easily into a locker. I guess if you're really determined to avoid any degree of moistness you could get a cheap vinyl rain suit. When we rafted the Grand Canyon this summer, we wore these on a couple of the rowdier days. You haven't seen wet until you hit a level 10 (on a scale of 1-10) rapid with a 15' drop!
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234