Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Dr. Facilier's Voodoo Emporium, New Orleans Square

Saw Princess and the Frog yesterday, and was quite favorably impressed. After viewing the film, one idea seemed a natural.

Take a little out of the way spot in NoS, say, off the court of angels, or wall up part of the current 'artist's alley' where the portrait artists sit, and make a storefront of Dr. Facilier's shop guests can look into. It would ideally be slightly discrete, tucked away, for people to come upon, not advertised. Underneath the awning would be a closed, glass-fronted door, shaded from overhead so you could see inside the room.

The table would be there, of course, next to a set of curtains, a chair pulled away as if Facilier himself had just left the room. Tarot cards set out upon the table, partly dealt, with a stack in the center, and perhaps one of his signature little voodoo dolls on a smaller endtable off to the side. In addition, the back wall would host the masks of his "friends from the other side".

Upon coming upon it, some guests might not see anything unusual happen, look around a bit, and leave. However, some effects could be on a timed loop, such as the eyes and mouths of the masks glowing, along with a soft whispering sound emnating from within, or the doctor's shadow creeping along out from the behind the curtains, on the wall, a la the Malificent effect in the Castle, or the HM's ghostly pianist in the attic.

I think this would be a film-based addition that might actually benefit the park, and add character and be suitable to the area it was in (New Orleans Square). In addition, it would add something I like, one of Disneyland's detailed "hidden surprises". Your thoughts?

• potterday.org

Re: Dr. Facilier's Voodoo Emporium, New Orleans Square

It's a fine and splendid idea that we would all love and would have very little marketing value.

In the end someone would say "we could make more money per square inch of that space if we sold Mossimo sweatshirts" and that would be that.

Ah, but to dream...
    Zoe Necrosis
    Chancellor, Yensid's School of Sorcery and Necromancy

Potter Day Lite: Spring 2013!

http://potterday.org

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Zoe Necrosis View Post
    It's a fine and splendid idea that we would all love and would have very little marketing value.

In the end someone would say "we could make more money per square inch of that space if we sold Mossimo sweatshirts" and that would be that.

Ah, but to dream...
    Dr. Facilier's Magic and Sweatshirt and Pin Store!

One can hope, though, and it is a good idea as far as I am concerned. But you are correct, more places to push merch would be likely to go in first.

• Fan of the Land

Absolutely great. It's very much in tune with the slightly-spooky tone that pervades New Orleans Square. (I once heard a recording coming from a balcony there, where you "overhear" a desperate man begging for assistance from the historic, real-life voodoo queen Madame Laveau.)

As for the oft-expressed cynical idea that nothing but a ruthless eye for money-making exists in the present-day Disney mindset, I would respond that, first, there are still plenty of fascinating, non-monetized points of interest around the park which receive care and "plussing"; and second, there is no reason to admit even the slightest bit of cynicism into your armchair imagineering, because after all ... this is YOUR dream!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Beauty View Post
    Absolutely great. It's very much in tune with the slightly-spooky tone that pervades New Orleans Square. (I once heard a recording coming from a balcony there, where you "overhear" a desperate man begging for assistance from the historic, real-life voodoo queen Madame Laveau.)

As for the oft-expressed cynical idea that nothing but a ruthless eye for money-making exists in the present-day Disney mindset, I would respond that, first, there are still plenty of fascinating, non-monetized points of interest around the park which receive care and "plussing"; and second, there is no reason to admit even the slightest bit of cynicism into your armchair imagineering, because after all ... this is YOUR dream!

Thank you very much for the kind words, and I do enjoy the Madame Laveau recordings too..they are fun to listen to. Glad you enjoy my ideas.

• Knows Where His Towel Is

A shop based on Dr. Facilier's would actually be a great compromise between us Armchair Imagineers and the suits at TDA!

INTERGALACTIC WRITER FOR THE HITCHHIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY
    HOOPY FROODS:thinkingofdisney11, DisneyIzz, A113, dmtnt55, MikeSkellington, zephr, Incrediboy, JungleCruiseFan, PerformerInWaiting, MainStreetJake, The Disneylander, littleactressann, DapperJoshua, padgerfan, SS77, DisneyLove, GummiBears_Rock, fangalicious44, animekiti4christ, *disneyprincess*, monorailorange33, Colorized, iskategoofy, stevo505, mandypandy, williamtheking, CaptainEO,Atis, firebolt413, cocoa, WendyInWonderland, ICe101, itsxxdomoxxkun, esquivel

FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER!
    ASK ME ANYTHING! :: FORMSPRING.ME
    FOLLOW MY BLOG: <>

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by darkfairycthulu View Post
    Dr. Facilier's Magic and Sweatshirt and Pin Store!

One can hope, though, and it is a good idea as far as I am concerned. But you are correct, more places to push merch would be likely to go in first.
    Here lies the beauty of your concept. I doubt Disney has the "guts" to do it but there is serious potential for a store portraying the occult in general... more specifically tailsmains, masks, cards etc. related to Voodoo. Basically the NOS version of the magic shop. I wouldn't waste the effort on a storefront... open it up... sell mechandise... if it makes a profit while promoting the franchise and supporting the theme then it is the best for both suits and us alike.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Fan of the Land

I have personally always LOVED the feeling of being inside of a shop that sells mystery-suggesting items such as pendulums and tarot cards and ouija boards, and it would certainly fit in with New Orleans Square (and have the benefit of a movie tie-in to boot) - and yet I'm aware that there are people who sincerely do not see the fun and allure of the "occult" aesthetic, and even some who frankly fear it. Would Disney be taking a big risk, or possibly crossing a line of some sort, by opening such a place? Or, since it's movie-inspired, has that can of worms already been opened anyhow?

• Shag lover

Quote Originally Posted by Waking Beauty View Post
    ...and yet I'm aware that there are people who sincerely do not see the fun and allure of the "occult" aesthetic, and even some who frankly fear it. Would Disney be taking a big risk, or possibly crossing a line of some sort, by opening such a place? Or, since it's movie-inspired, has that can of worms already been opened anyhow?
    Disney is already well-demonized by the narrow-minded folk, what do they have to lose by adding this?

Personally, I would love to see New Orleans Square have a Katrina-esque water line on all the buildings. *cackle*
    Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

I think Princess and the Frog should get a shop and restaurant so I would be up for this idea since it seems to like a creative way to have a normal shop with an amazing theme.

• Wilderness Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by tikicub View Post
    Personally, I would love to see New Orleans Square have a Katrina-esque water line on all the buildings. *cackle*
    HAH!

Hahaha poor taste. But wow that made me chuckle haha.

I think the whole thing is a really awesome idea.
    But I'd have to agree that Disney would feel that such an area is a waste of space, with not being able to walk around inside it at all.
    But I'd definitely think that a "Voodoo Shop" would be a good place.

But a ouija board, Waking Beauty? You're kidding right?

• Future Animator

I also thought that something like this needed to be built because of the popularity, or the soon to be popularity, of the film. A voo-doo "lair" would add a lot of character to NOS.

And in my opinion this idea is no more dark and demonic than Haunted Mansion. Just great Disney storytelling and character.

Also, I'm not sure f I wold want to see this built. But the restaurant "Tiana's Place" from the film came to mind. What do you think?

YouTube Channel:
    DisneyParkVideos

...for any Disney Theme Park Specials, Behind the Scenes, Making Of's, Celebrations, etc.

• Minion

As long as they don't serve frog's legs.

• Animatronic

An occult shop sounds nicely on theme for New Orleans Square. Haunted Mansion themed Ouija boards and Tarrot cards? Sounds good to me! Anything would be better than yet another store catering to plushies. Hopefully that would help the return of Frontierland stores that sell real coonskin caps and other period stuff. I feel my pocket book getting lighter just talking about it. If Disney returns to interesting and on-theme merchandise, I'm litterly running to Tomorrowland for a 16 Terrabyte iPod nano!
    it's a sale of candy and a sale of plush, it's a sale of toys and disney stuff
    there's so much that we sell, that it's time we tell, it's a plush plush sale!

Quote Originally Posted by jcman3777 View Post
    Also, I'm not sure f I wold want to see this built. But the restaurant "Tiana's Place" from the film came to mind. What do you think?
    i literally just posted the same idea in another thread lol. i think it would be cool

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast