•   
    • Dept. 41 and Club 55

in memoriam: Walter Elias Disney

Walter Elias Disney

December 5, 1901 - December 15, 1966

Ever missed and ever loved.

• Senior Minion

Re: in memoriam: Walter Elias Disney

It would take more time than anybody has around the daily news shops to think of the right thing to say about Disney.

He was an original. Not just an American original, but an original, period. He was a happy accident, one of the happiest this century has experienced. And judging by the way it’s behaving, in spite of all Disney tried to tell it about laughter, love, children, puppies, and sunrises, the century hardly deserved him. He probably did more to heal -- or at least soothe -- troubled human spirits than all the psychiatrists in the world. There can’t be many adults in the allegedly civilized parts of the globe who did not inhabit Disney’s mind and imagination for at least for a few hours and feel better for the visitation.

It may be true, as somebody said, that while there is no highbrow in a lowbrow, there is some lowbrow in every highbrow. But what Disney seemed to know was that while there is very little grown-up in every child, there is a lot of child in every grown-up. To a child, this weary world is brand-new, gift wrapped. Disney tried to keep it that way for adults.

By the conventional wisdom, mighty mice, flying elephants, Snow White and Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy and Doc -- all these were fantasy, escapism from reality. It’s a question of whether they are any less real, any more fantastic than intercontinental missiles, poisoned air, defoliated forests, and scrap iron on the moon. This is the age of fantasy, however you look at it, but Disney’s fantasy wasn’t lethal.

People are saying we will never see his like again.

Eric Sevareid
    CBS News
    December 15, 1966

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Closed Account

Yep indeed, RIP...he would have been 108? wow..

• Defender of the castle

Thanks Walt for giving happiness and joy to the world

Sad Re: in memoriam: Walter Elias Disney

We miss you Walt! Rest In Peace.

If you can dream it, you can Do it - Walt Disney

• living in the sprawl

Blog Entries

Thank you, Walt. Rest in peace.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Walt, you live on in the joy you give to my familiy (and so many others), with every visit we make to your land.

• Still wants to be a cat!

Thank you for all you left behind....you will never be forgotten.
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Vroom, vroom!

Walt, I never met you but I feal like I knew you from your work. And I almost feal like your work was made for me. Its just like you knew us so well that years latter your work would be still relivent and I hope will be for many years to come.
    I am Scary Scott,
    Call me a turn coat, a lunatic, loup garou, or skin walker. Shape shifter, lychanthrope, A moon watcher, or just crazy.
    I am Scary Scott, The steampunk, brony, author of Northern CA, that has just moved to Southern CA!
    Poor? Yes. Money? Forget about it, I got none! If I had it, I wouldn't for long, I want too much stuff!
    Disneyland for me is my absolute favorite place on earth, So I am the oddest werewolf you ever will meet.

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Scary: your post is dripping something. Tastes like sarcasm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karalora View Post
    This is excellent news! There are all sorts of good changes to the park that we were promised when Hell froze over.
    Hey, any of you like MLP Fan Fiction? (Laugh now, but It's practice for being an author some day!)
    Anyhow, check out my profile on fimfiction.net I'm Phoenix Quill there.

• Banned User

to walt disney I say this

we your friends, fans, and family miss you

• Infinitized!

RIP Uncle Walt. The world misses you.

• ...my first visit to DL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

It would take more time than anybody has around the daily news shops to think of the right thing to say about Disney.

He was an original. Not just an American original, but an original, period. He was a happy accident, one of the happiest this century has experienced. And judging by the way it’s behaving, in spite of all Disney tried to tell it about laughter, love, children, puppies, and sunrises, the century hardly deserved him. He probably did more to heal -- or at least soothe -- troubled human spirits than all the psychiatrists in the world. There can’t be many adults in the allegedly civilized parts of the globe who did not inhabit Disney’s mind and imagination for at least for a few hours and feel better for the visitation.

It may be true, as somebody said, that while there is no highbrow in a lowbrow, there is some lowbrow in every highbrow. But what Disney seemed to know was that while there is very little grown-up in every child, there is a lot of child in every grown-up. To a child, this weary world is brand-new, gift wrapped. Disney tried to keep it that way for adults.

By the conventional wisdom, mighty mice, flying elephants, Snow White and Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy and Doc -- all these were fantasy, escapism from reality. It’s a question of whether they are any less real, any more fantastic than intercontinental missiles, poisoned air, defoliated forests, and scrap iron on the moon. This is the age of fantasy, however you look at it, but Disney’s fantasy wasn’t lethal.

People are saying we will never see his like again.

Eric Sevareid
    CBS News
    December 15, 1966
    Thank you Wiggins...Mr. Sevareid's column was printed in my local newspaper...I clipped it out and kept it for years and years...I think it finally disintegrated...all brown and tattered. But his words were so eloquent...even for this six year old. And the people were right - we will never see Walt Disney's like again...what he could have done with another 20 years. We miss you Walt...

• Hukuna Matata!

I hold Walt Disney in the highest regards, His vision his talent, There are very few people on this earth that are true pioneer's and he was one of them. Without him there would be alot less magic and anaheim would be just another town. I know Walt was not a characture but he is my favorite thing about Disneyland, I am saddened that they took out the steve martin film, I would make it routine to see it at least once a trip just to see the walt footage. RIP Mr Disney you are missed by us all.