• Banned User

Perks of staying on-site.

Co-worker asked me about a trip to Disney. Him, wife, 3 y/o and 1 y/o. First decision was WDW v. DL. Big deciding factor there was travel costs.... DL it is.

Then we started talking about on-site vs. staying across the street.

I told him I always stay across the street. Not much, if any, further and half the price. On site you're "in the magic" all the time...

Then he asked me a direct question.... What are the perks of staying on-site?

I couldn't think of any. Magic Mornings is for anyone buying multi-day ticket in advance, right?

So, are there any direct perks to staying in one of the 3 Disney Hotels, other than the intangable "in the magic 24 hours per day"?

• Banned User

Garenteed entrance to the parks.... Even when the park is at capacity....

• Waiting for the stork

Sorry to say but staying on site does not ensure entrance
    when Park is at capacity...fire regulations I believe.
    When I called about reservations at DLH on July 17th I was warned that if the parks reach capacity that staying on property was NOT a guarented entrance! She made a reall point of telling me that
    procrastibating

• Gumball Rally Godfather

Oh Boy, don't even get me started on guaranteed entry. IT DOES NOT EXIST!! Other than the "magic", the only thing you will get is a lighter wallet!

• Kirbyshowcase.com

Perks: Really Close to the parks, No waiting in line to get directly into the park via Monorail if at the Disneyland Hotel (You wait in the monorail line though...), Always in the "Magic", Great pool at the Disneyland Hotel, Great views of the parks, DTD is immediately closer, thats all I can think of.
    (insert funny comment here)

All of the things mentioned above plus(if you also buy your ticket package from AAA. WDTC may also offer some of these extras, not sure) Toontown Madness, Fantasyland early entry, $10 ESPN Zone game card, DLR hotel self parking and fitness center access, collectible pins and lanyards(one per person), California Diamond fun book, and enhanced fastpass.

The enhanced FP is the real clincher for me, at least during the busy summer months.

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Remus
    Perks: Really Close to the parks, No waiting in line to get directly into the park via Monorail if at the Disneyland Hotel (You wait in the monorail line though...), Always in the "Magic", Great pool at the Disneyland Hotel, Great views of the parks, DTD is immediately closer, thats all I can think of.
    Actually many of the hotels on Harbor are closer to the Main Entry Plaza than the Disneyland Hotel... The Paradise Pier Hotel is the same distance as the Howard Johnson's and the Candy Cane Inn. And with the Non-Disney hotels, you get the option of using a shuttle, since Disney refuses to offer the service to its guests...

As for the Monorail Downtown Disney entrance, the DLR hotel guests get no special privledges, though from the Tomorrowland entrance, there is a Priority Entrance for the DLR hotel guests.

All of the things mentioned above plus(if you also buy your ticket package from AAA. WDTC may also offer some of these extras, not sure) Toontown Madness, Fantasyland early entry, $10 ESPN Zone game card, DLR hotel self parking and fitness center access, collectible pins and lanyards(one per person), California Diamond fun book, and enhanced fastpass.
    Any AAA/WDTC travel package comes with most of the perks mentioned above, and that includes the Good Neighbor hotels.

Early Entry is easy to get, basically any Advance Purchase 3 day or more ParkHopper comes with it.

Toontown Madness is offered to all AAA/WDTC packages (no need to stay at a Disney owned property).

The ESPN Zone card is also easy to get, just order tickets online at Disneyland.com, no need to even buy a package.

The Pin and Lanyard, plus the Fun Book is also included in any AAA/WDTC package.

Parking at your hotel is free at most of the hotels on Harbor, especially those in walking distance.

Now the "Enhanced FASTPASS" is only available if you book thru AAA Travel and stay at a Disney owned hotel.

One of my favorites is the Howard Johnson's... great hotel, great prices, great grounds, multiple pools and an awesome jacuzzi to watch the fireworks.

You can get a discounted rate at this link..

http://www.hojoanaheim.com/mousesavers/

Save your money, if you want to get some "extra" Disney magic, use the money you saved for a meal at Goofy's Kitchen, then walk the hotel grounds...
    Last edited by Darkbeer; 03-02-2005 at 03:47 PM.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• Senior Minion

Well, we're staying at GCH this time down (now 77 days until we go).

Why? I ask myself, since it's going to be frightfully expensive.

There is one overriding factor, though. My wife is not a big ride warrior, and, in fact, she's not a big walker. With a room at GCH, she can walk to the room and take a break, if she wants, while we still hit the parks and do whatever we want, and she can meet up with us later. Anywhere else is either too far to walk to, or you've got to do the entire shuttle/garage/highway and back routine.

I'll let everyone know what I really think after we get back.

• The Magics in the details

Entry Pecking ORder

Quote Originally Posted by Circarama
    Oh Boy, don't even get me started on guaranteed entry. IT DOES NOT EXIST!! Other than the "magic", the only thing you will get is a lighter wallet!
    True U are circarama, however it might be pertinant to point out that there is a pecking order to the people that are denied entry..
    Stage 1:
    Stop Selling 1 Day DL Tix
    Stage 2:
    Sop Selling 1 Day DCA Tix
    Stage 3:
    No re-entry for all single day tix
    Stage 4:
    No re-entry for all multi day hotel guests/AP Holders
    Stage 5:
    No Entry for any tickets

Disclaimer: this is not an exherpt from any official disney document, merely an interpretation

• Sock Puppet

Staying on site is way cooler.

• loves a silver lining

Blog Entries
    We normally stay offsite, but last summer we took the boys on a surprise trip and stayed onsite(only 2nd time for my oldest and the 1st time for my youngest)

The cm at check in was great and after chatting with her and telling her it was the youngest's first time etc etc she sent up balloons and autographed pix of Mickey for each boy(later that evening)

We got settled in the room just in time to slide open our sliders and pull up the chairs and watch the fireworks from our room.

The boys LOVED the little mickey touches in the wall paper and on the bed spreads and my youngest thought the pixe dust wallpaper was the best!!

Wake up call from Mickey to my youngest, priceless

The Neverland Pool was a HUGE hit and they are not normally "let's stay in the pool all day" type of kids. When given a choice they decided to stay in the pool vs going back to the park.

Proximity to the Lost Bar

Delta Mu Chi Alpha ΔΜΧΑ

• Still wants to be a cat!

We spend every Thanksgiving weekend on site. Have done the GCH and DLH and my daughter (8) wouldn't have it any other way...just like Dsnylndmom said, it's the atmosphere and CM's that make the stay more magical.......Next time we're going to try Paradise Pier, but I think Marina (my daughter) will be a bit disappointed, we're heading downhill I believe. Her favorite was DLH (pool a major part of that decision) and my was GCH (just so luxurious). Would never stay off the Disneyland property, since part of the magic is the Hotel you stay in!
    Mom, remember, it's not what a person is like on the outside that counts,
    it's what they are like in their HEART!

- Wolfette

• Disney fans for life!

We have stayed on property for the past couple of years with the exception of a last minute trip in which we stayed the week at the Residence Inn. (very nice place and priced right)

Everything that 'mom said (she knows her stuff) plus we like to have our packages sent to our rooms from the Park so we don't have to lug them around all day. We also enjoy the pool more in the evenings now that they have extended the pool hours (we used to walk to Paradise Pier to use their pool after 8 pm).

We like to walk around and enjoy the scenery, sounds and what-not. Now with Downtown Disney right there, we spend time after the Parks close hanging out there.

As far as the rate goes, we have never paid full-fare. We always come up with an AP rate or some other rate that keeps it in the $79-$129 range. I'm happy paying that. We plan our trips in advance so you can usually get the very good rates. They also have great same-day-arrival rates that we have used. Especially if it is in the afternoon for that night. They negotiate just like the chains. Unfortunately, they don't have frequent-use type cards. Otherwise we would rack up a bunch of "free" rooms.