Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Fantasmic! etiquette: Blankets as space-savers. Yay or Nay?

I don't know how long this has been going on, but I have noticed more and more people laying out blankets or bed sheets on the ground in front of the Rivers of America in order to "save a space" for prime Fantasmic! viewing.

What do you think about that? Is it OK? Or is it annoying? (because sometimes people REALLY sprawl out over the blanket. I'm talking, lying down with a pillow and taking nap for 45 minutes before the show starts.)
    Last edited by viewaskewniverse; 10-20-2005 at 08:27 PM.

• ...lurks...

Re: Fantasmic! ettiquette: Blankets as space-savers. Yay or Nay?

I don't like it- but if they have people occupying the space..I guess we can't sit on them. I'd like a space, but then again- I don't have the patience to sit for hours on the ground waiting for the uber-cool show to start. Is your avatar pic real, or photoshopped?

Since I do not get to the park much, it does not bug me...HOWEVER, last Sat, there were people with HUGE full-size tarps saving spots. I see a blanket, towel, etc....but a 8x8 tarp? Thats a little, I dunno, rude/hoggish?

Brian

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian
    Since I do not get to the park much, it does not bug me...HOWEVER, last Sat, there were people with HUGE full-size tarps saving spots. I see a blanket, towel, etc....but a 8x8 tarp? Thats a little, I dunno, rude/hoggish?

Brian

I think 8x8 is a bit much- was there two of them back to back?

Yes to Blankets.... but if used as Space Savers? Then No.

I think Blankets are fine (and are almost a necessity for people waiting 2+ hours) but I also feel that one person shouldn't be able to stake out an entire viewing area for their entire group.

I think that 80% of someone's party should be waiting on the blanket as well. Of course there's no way to enforce (or enact) this rule, so I simply plan on waiting several hours (with my entire group present) when we go to Disneyland with the intention of watching Fantasmic.

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by Noryen

I think Blankets are fine (and are almost a necessity for people waiting 2+ hours) but I also feel that one person shouldn't be able to stake out an entire viewing area for their entire group.

I think that 80% of someone's party should be waiting on the blanket as well. Of course there's no way to enforce (or enact) this rule, so I simply plan on waiting several hours (with my entire group present) when we go to Disneyland with the intention of watching Fantasmic.

Agreed!

• Circle of Ancients

Yeah, 8x8 is WAY too big.

If it's a group of 5 or less then one person watching is okay I think. (We usually take shifts)

But if it's more than 1 blanket then you need to have more than 1 person saving the spot.

• Ohhh baboo :(

10 miles from the DLR. AP Holder for 9 years.

Shadow, the pic in my avatar is real.

• 'Taint sure it's puddin!

Quote Originally Posted by Noryen

Good points - we have waited 2+ hours before and I don't even like to go get food; we get it beforehand. Some folks just use the blanket and don't even bother to have one person sitting on it - I don't agree with that at all. Last weekend while waiting in a sea of blankets for 2+ hours to see Remember (we were in front of the hub and I had a short tripod for fireworks pics), I can't count the number of people who kept walking thru the area with no intention of trying to find a seat. Some of them actually were polite and said "excuse me" , but many just pushed their way thru with no regard to kids, the people already sitting down, etc. There was no reason to try to walk thru this area unless you were looking to find a seat, which BTW they were all gone by 7:30pm.

Ooops, I guess that is another thread.....
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

PROUD Member Of................

Do you MiceChat?
    There are several ways for you to help support the site you love:
    - visit the MiceChat store
    - Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page
    Whatever you do, your help is much appreciated!

• ...lurks...

Quote Originally Posted by viewaskewniverse
    Shadow, the pic in my avatar is real.

Holy-schmoly! Glad you got to meet him- I'd love to!

I agree. A small blanket or throw say 6x6 would be ok. I am kinda againist the hours of "space-saving" though. At what point do you say enough is enough. It's not bad now, but I can see a day when the Rivers of America looks like a shanty town. Some rules in place preventing or limiting this now would prevent a lot of headaches for CM's and guests in the future.

This is definitely a problem. Since most of these people definitely have AP's, all the best viewing areas are being horded by people who have seen the show many, many times. Think about the people who have never been to the park before, and wouldn't think that they have to bring a blanket to pick out a spot to watch the show. I think it borders on obsessive that someone who has seen the show twenty times feels they have to waste three hours of their life so they can see it again from the front row, because, you know, the last ten times they saw it from the same spot just isn't enough. If someone could enlighten me on why this is necessary, could they please let me know?
    Last edited by JP12; 10-20-2005 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    This is definitely a problem. Since most of these people definitely have AP's, all the best viewing areas are being horded by people who have seen the show many, many times. Think about the people who have never been to the park before, and wouldn't think that they have to bring a blanket to pick out a spot to watch the show. I think it borders on Obsessive Compulsive Disorder that someone who has seen the show twenty times feels they have to waste three hours of their life so they can see it again from the front row, because, you know, the last ten times they saw it from the same spot just isn't enough. If someone could enlighten me on why this is necessary, could they please let me know?

Just curious, but why would you say that most people doing this have an AP?
    "Search the boat...."
    First works spoken by Captain Nemo (James Mason) in the Disney classic - 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Do you MiceChat?

Because only someone who went to the park fairly often would know that they have to bring a blanket with them for this purpose. If you go to the park often, most likely you have an AP.

I should point out that I'm not trying to slam anyone who does this, I just honestly don't understand the need to do this at all. The show has been around for almost 12 years now, and it really hasn't changed a bit. If it was something new, then I would understand it. I guess it goes along the same lines as people who line up months in advance for the re-released Star Wars movie.
    Last edited by JP12; 10-20-2005 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JP12
    Because only someone who went to the park fairly often would know that they have to bring a blanket with them for this purpose. If you go to the park often, most likely you have an AP.

I should point out that I'm not trying to slam anyone who does this, I just honestly don't understand the need to do this at all. The show has been around for almost 12 years now, and it really hasn't changed a bit. If it was something new, then I would understand it. I guess it goes along the same lines as people who line up months in advance for the new Star Wars movie.

No worries, I was just curious. We have APs, but live in AZ, so we only get to the park 3 or 4 times a year - just enough to justify the cost. Not so much for Fantasmic, but we usually camp out once on a trip for the Remember fireworks. I like to take pics with a small, unobtrusive tripod, and I always take care that I am not blocking anyone's view. The show is awesome, and about the only thing that would make me want to sit for 2+ hours waiting. We don't use a blanket, though. Also, we stay in our spots. Now I have no idea who around me has an AP or not, but if someone hadn't seen the show and asked if they could sit near us or even have our seats, we would gladly give them up. But at the same time there is no guarantee that if we didn't camp out, that someone who wasn't an APer or who hadn't seen the show would get the spot. I just didn't want this to be an AP vs non AP issue .

I guess my point is that the park and its entertainment should be open to everyone who is willing to pay to get in and get in line. Granted, those who had been there before would be more familiar with how early to get in line, etc., but some of that information could be available from other CMs, City Hall, etc. Also if someone is spending 3 days at the park for the first time, by the time the first day or so goes by they should be familiar enough to know that the good seating goes fast.

I think that people wanting to see Fantasmic or Remember or whatever multiple times is no different than people wanting to go to Disneyland multiple times. Again, my opinion here, but we bought APs because we LOVE the experiences in the park and want to experience them again and again. If that makes us obsessive compulsive, then so be it, but I don't think so.

Just a different opinion - sorry for the long diatribe .
    "Search the boat...."

Do you MiceChat?

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast