• Banned User

My Joyous Trip From Hell

After months at gawking via internet at all the neat things happening at the Disneyland Resort like World of Color Construction, Murphy, the plenty of upgrades, it was finally time for my trip last week

But then I got sinus issues. While it wasn't a sinus infection it was very painful but I was mostly recovered in time for the day of my actual visit Friday, the 11th. My doctor told me I wasn't contagious and just to rest every day for a few hours. Totally fine by me.

I wake up, my eye is swollen to the size of a baseball. The doctors had absolutely no clue what was wrong with me and told me to ice it and it should go away in a few days. Joy.....

Well once in the park I was good to go. Loving the immersive atmosphere and the weather was fairly wet. I adore the park in the rain but it wasn't helpful in making me feel any better as the rain is very weather exhausting. Then began the real fun:

We sat down to watch a Christmas Fantasy Parade because the rain had stopped for quite sometime and the 1st show had already gone so the 2nd was likely to go as well. We had great spots on seats between Matterhorn and Pixie Hollow. As the floats came up I thought they were going pretty fast and knew the parade was in B-Mode once I saw that all the elves in the 2nd unit were on the float and waving.

Slowly the float came to a complete stop. 2 years ago, the same thing happened and sure enough they brought out the little tower attached it to the float and it was off again!

The floats continued to go past but with difficult. The larger ones seemed to always stop but eventually resume. We finally figured out what was wrong when the Buzz float came to a stop. This section of the parade route was on a slight incline and the floats could not get enough traction to go up it. So the entire float was reversed about 30 feet so Buzz could get a running start to go up the hill and he almost made it so then the CM's near by started pushing it over and it was good to go! Santa also had to get a tow.

Later on in the day, made the stupid mistake of skipping the first Fantasmic! in fear of crowds and just waiting for the second. We walked up during the finale of the first showing and had great seats. I was tired and now frustrated that I had to wait another 1 1/2 hours to see the giant dragon when I could have came here 10 minutes earlier.

Well we ended up with dead center front row seats for the show. It would drizzle on and off but nothing bad. I was very excited that not only I had stayed awake the entire hour but I was going to experience the incredible Fantasmic! The voice came on the speaker "Welcome to Fantasmic!" and all of the sudden it started to pour down rain. The lights came on and through my umbrella it was stunning seeing the rain in the giant lights. Mickey appeared glistening brighter then ever with the water pouring down around making it more magical.

The water screens came up for the first time, but the sound ended, the lights came back on and "We're sorry, but for the safety of our performers...." I was royally pissed off that I still have not gotten to see Murphy in action!

Well I left with a smile thinking to myself "I just spent the day at Disneyland" and no matter how dreadfully hilarious it was, it was still a magical day.

• Future Indy Castmember

Re: My Joyous Trip From Hell

Sorry to hear that your first chance to see Murphy was ruined by the rain.

Your right, as long as you had a fun day at Disneyland, every visit will still be a magical one.

Duffeteer Society of Tenders, Artists & Romantics
    Check out the
    MICECHAT Duffy Forum
    Bringing the Love since January 10, 2011

The world is a treasure trove of places.
    The colors of Earth, Sea and Sky. Beauty i'm told, is ours to behold. In the wonderful world of color.
    Indy Ride Count: 2211
    World of Color Count: 74

• world class bilge rat

Isn't it funny how the magic in the air at DL can overcome just about any annoyance?

To me, there's something about DL that no other place can match. I don't know if it's the basic attitude of excitement or the knowledge of past fun, but it's there.

I'm glad for you that whatever you had, it didn't last long, and it didn't totally ruin your day. The last sentence in your post sums it up pretty well.

Rob

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

Wow that is really bad luck! Srry u had soo many problems
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Well I left with a smile thinking to myself "I just spent the day at Disneyland" and no matter how dreadfully hilarious it was, it was still a magical day.
    :thumbup;

Exactly. Yes, things could of worked out better for you but in the grander scheme of things... You could of been stuck in traffic, you could of been trapped in an 8 hour meeting with the boss... you could of been arm pit deep in laundry... But instead, you were at Disneyland! So I'm glad that you did get to enjoy your time in the park, however limited it was, and I hope you have another opportunity to go again soon.

And that things go better for you next time.

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Disney Fan

Sounds absolutely MAGICAL! :P
    --Leslie ~See my photos on FLICKR ~

• Banned User

dude that really sucks! Sorry to hear it went bad like that. But I'm glad you have a good attitude about still just being there. Disney tends to have that effect.

• Done with MC.

Just goes to show; the worst day at DLR is still better than the best day at work!

• Disneylander in Arizona!

Sorry about the bad luck, but your attitude is awesome and your outlook is great. I still have 68 more days until I get to go to the Resort... time needs to go by faster, finals week is draining the life from me, lol (I just have to keep thinking one more left, and then no school for four and a half weeks)!
    "It matters not how strait the gate how charged with Punishments the scroll I am the master of my fate I am the captain of my soul" -- W.E. Henley
    ***Next trip to the Disneyland® Resort***
    ***May 9, 2012***

• Shag lover

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    Just goes to show; the worst day at DLR is still better than the best day at work!
    You must have a really crappy job.

I've definitely had better days at work than my last trip to Disneyland.
    Coming on a whirlwind trip 12/4 and 12/5 just to see the holiday decorations. Hope the park isn't too full of spoiled mall-goers to enjoy!

• Please pull the yellowtab

Quote Originally Posted by MainSreetJake View Post
    dude that really sucks! Sorry to hear it went bad like that. But I'm glad you have a good attitude about still just being there. Disney tends to have that effect.
    I totally agree! Even if I've been assaulted by a little kid while waiting in that cramped line for PPF it's all forgotten after I get on the ride.

I do believe in fairies. I do. I do.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great attitude for feeling bad. Glad you made lemonade with lemons!