Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

my DCA Gold Rush darkride idea

The Introduction
    I think most of us will remeber back in the day when most of us would talk about new lands that fit under the California theme we'd mention some sort of gold rush attraction (ok that still happens). And that back then when this issue would come up somebody would always mention the ill fated Western River ride for WDW that was never built.

The interesting thing I found about the Western River Expedition is that while I have often seen one piece of concept art I've never seen a single track layout or anything that would give me a real idea of what this ride is supposed to be about.

So I decided to design my own Gold Rush themed darkride for DCA and whilst in the thought process I realized just why this type of ride might be considered a substitute for Pirates. When you think about it in terms of greed and gold the west and pirates have alot in common what with bandits and all and combine that with them both being boat type darkrides and similarities really start to become apparant.

Yet even still it may be an idea worth persuing and thus I persent my idea of how such a ride should work.

My ride idea
    We start with the setting which should be a run down ghost town, in interest of keeping with the modern setting of DCA it should look that old. It has been recently turned into a tourist attraction and of course features a museum and tours of several of the remaining buildings

Our adventure into this western ride begins at the museum which functions as the que. The museum would be like many historical museums I've seen in small towns meaning it's actualy placed into a slightly restored slightly modernized (electricity) old town building from the ghost town, we walk from old dusty room to old dusty room seeing plaques with information on the real gold rush era in California and lots of things like cowboy boots and mining equipment and the like that is associated with that wild west timeframe

Eventualy you come to the back of this old ghost town building and you come to your boat conviently floating in an irrigation ditch and it is from here we embark on our Journy to the west

with this image I have provided you can see the green area is were the loading area will be (I'm not as happy with this rough map as I was with my mermaid darkride one I had several issues with creating it and I'm getting bad at guestimating distances)

1. As the boat travels into the darkness we come accross the first scene which is alot of trees and a California mountain type atmosphere as though we're traveling down a river, off to one side we can see a navie americans camp. In this scene the night sky would be lit up with stars using either projection or fiber optic effects to give the area a type of open ambiance.

2. There is a slight dip to speed up current and we dive into a cave like structure to emerge on the other side in bright daylight overlooking a vast dessert like area with a boom town lying out in the distance. off to one side we see some bandits trying to get away with some gold with the Sheirf right on their tails. We cut around in a circle type deal creating a unique feature for a darkride of this type and in the center we see a bandit on his horse with it's front legs kicking up in the air (whatever that's called sue me it's late :P) firing his guns in all directions creating a very impressive 360 degree view of what would probably be the best AA in this ride

after completing this turn we move into the boomtown seeing the different people in the city going about there buisness and of course passing the Saloon (perhaps with some references to the one piece of Western River Expedition artwork I HAVE seen ) and the bank (which is of course experiencing another hold up ).

3. Now for the final scene of this ride. We come to the entrance of the towns main source of income, the mine. We take a pirates like plung deep into the mine and see many miners chipping away at rock looking for gold and a few others setting up suports to the cave and handling explosives. Of course now things start to get dangerous as we move into an unstable part of the cave and begin to experience a cave in all around us with rocks crumbling into our path at every turn there seems to be no escape.

We round a sharp corner and see packs of dinamite lining the edges and then a spark hits them and we're blasted (litteraly) back up to were we started from.

This effect would be accomplished either by magnetic launch tires or water jets but it seems to me that we SHOULD have the technology to actualy make an effect like this work.

Other Areas
    exiting the ride of course you'd find the obligatory gift area (set inside the old prospecters area) filled with tons of western themed and Disney themed items. Fools Gold with disney characters put onto them would seem to be an obvious choice for an area like this along with shirts that have the DCA logo with a western type overlay over it.

along with this of course there'd be some gold panning type deals and other small details that kids and others might find entertaining that would add a nice touch to the area.

In Closing
    While I thought up this idea I did feel a bit like it was a little too much like Pirates so I tried to think of a couple ideas that were fresh and new or at least new spins on this idea. And I also came to realize that this ride would be great for DCA because of it's distance from pirates, if it's not two steps away I'm not going to be as likly to compare. This ride could be Pirates 2.0 of sorts with a new theme and feel all it's own.

The ride vehicals would probably have to be more like a log flume then what PotC has to handle everything I've put into that track route but it shouldn't be a problem since WDW's Splash has side by side seating and I think WDW's Splash type vehicals would be ideal for this ride.

I'd also note that the drops and the lift would have to be of mild intensidy never going beyond what Pirates offers leaving this ride open to family's.

sooo thoughts, suggestions?

Links to my past ideas...
    Mermaid Darkride- http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/773-my-little-mermaid-darkride-idea.html
    Lagoon Show- http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=798
    Saving the Farm- http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1041
    LA Expansion- http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271

• MiceAge Columnist

Re: my DCA Gold Rush darkride idea

How about a yellow-colored "terrain coaster" with support posts close enough to the track that we can stick our used gum on it as we pass by?

(ducking and running)
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• MiceAge Columnist

Hey no one else has posted in here yet. I felt sure others would chime in; now I'm hoping my tongue-in-cheek post didn't come across as snide. It was meant to help bring extra action to your thread! (and seems to have done the reverse).

For what it's worth, I really like the idea of doing something from the very interesting Gold Rush period. It's what made California what it is today, and yet there's very little of that in the park.
    Kevin Yee
    MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
    Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
    Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
    Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
    Mouse Trap
    Tokyo Disney Made Easy
    101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
    Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

• Party Planning King

I'm sure the imagineers must have thought about the Gold Rush period when designing the California Adventure. Maybe nothing was ever done with the concept because the idea is so similar to what the theme is in Frontierland.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

I like the ride idea. I'd prefer something a little more thrilling, but this is well though out.

• White and Nerdy

This reminds me a lot of the mine ride at Knotts. That ride was so lame, and they think it's so great over there that it may have ruined me on any idea like it. It would have to be VASTLY different for me not to completely hate it.

• That's Hawt

What about doing a Mack Water Coaster type idea ...

Similar to what is at Sea World ... but make it indoors, and Disney or another company would have to solve the launch issue, but it could be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Party Planning King

I would love for DCA to have a Mack Water Coaster. They would have to enclose the boats though so riders won't get wet in the winter.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• Resident DL'er

Another user on here had a very similar ride idea. I think it was called "Legend of Sutter Mine" or something like that...

• The one, the only...

Gold and mines are great themes for California. It would do great at DCA. I am always transfixed at the mine escape scene in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. If Disney special effects and "magic" could bring that to life, DCA would be well back on the rode to recovery from the stigma of a "half-day" park.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Look Right, Pick Up Phone

The Legend of Sutter Mine was a fantastic idea. I was going to mention it earlier, but I guess I decided not to at the time.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

I couldn't see it as a water coaster...why do they need another thrilling water ride in the Golden State section? If it was done in bateaus it'd be a whole lot better. It wouldn't have to be as complex as Pirates, but done similar to Pirates and it'd be a great idea.
    And everyone could ride it.

• Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by rihard2000
    I would love for DCA to have a Mack Water Coaster. They would have to enclose the boats though so riders won't get wet in the winter.
    Can't have that!!!

• Reaver of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by KevinYee
    How about a yellow-colored "terrain coaster" with support posts close enough to the track that we can stick our used gum on it as we pass by?

(ducking and running)

LOL! I wonder how many people actually got that? Classic!

But back on topic, a water-based gold rush ride? It's an interesting idea. Certainly different than anything the other local parks have...
    Honor those who fall under the sword.
    But pity the warrior who has slain all his enemies.

• Circle of Ancients

^ I got it ...

I still love that ride. It's just not the same when they decide to clean off the gum ... every 10 years or so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast