• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Disneyland Train Set --- smoke question.

I love my train set I purchased from Disneyland a few years ago. I am sure many of you have the same one.... the blue box, the four characters, the bell that turns on train sounds and the smoke that comes from the stack.

But ---- I lost my instructions.

Does anyone know the instructions on adding fluid to the stack to make it smoke? Was it cooking oil? How much? Where do you add it.

I hope someone can help.

Merry Christmas.

Disney Road

• Laughing Last..

Re: Disneyland Train Set --- smoke question.

Check around for a good TRAIN hobby shop. They usually have the smoke liquid that most of the locomotives use. They would also have the knowledge to explain the system to you so could keep it running for many years. There are a couple of very good shops here around the LA area, too far for you?.
    LOS ANGELES
    ANGELS
    OF ANAHEIM
    WHAT A STUPID NAME

CALIFORNIA ANGELS FOREVER

Baseball is our religion
    The stadium our cathedral
    Beer and peanuts our sacrament

• Future theatre actress <3

Where the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake

where can u buy the train set?
    So after 2 full days in a row of walking around disneyland and a four hour practice, I finally understand why my doctor told me to take it easy on my knee I still cant wait to do it again

AEROSMITH FTWW!

• Collision speed....FULL!

I've never operated any battery-powered trains like the one you're describing, but I'm assuming it will be just a couple drops of smoke fluid [ame="http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=train+smoke+fluid&x=0&y=0"](any kind I think). [/ame]. I only run locomotives that draw power from the rails, and without smoke, so I wouldn't know.

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

My dad built a train set for us when we were little. When we moved once, he left the table behind. I missed playing with the train after that. It had an engine that smoked. I have a picture somewhere of the train set display that he made.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Smile Re: Disneyland Train Set --- smoke question.

Quote Originally Posted by FREQDUDE View Post
    Check around for a good TRAIN hobby shop. They usually have the smoke liquid that most of the locomotives use. They would also have the knowledge to explain the system to you so could keep it running for many years. There are a couple of very good shops here around the LA area, too far for you?.

Yikes... about 22 hours north.... I am in Vancouver, BC, Canada. But good idea. I think I will post a picture of the box.

Disney Road

• Hello

Cool Re: Disneyland Train Set --- smoke question.

Yeah, I have the 50th anniversary train, but it is the train you are talking of with a gold paint. I dont know how to put in the fluid, but id just pour it down the smoke stack.

• Closed Account

Unfortunately, a good train or hobby shop might laugh in your face. They don't deal with battery operated toys like you're describing, and probably would steer you in the wrong direction as far as recommending smoke fluid.

My son has a battery operate train and yes, it uses vegetable oil for the smoke. I wouldn't use anything other than the recommended smoke liquid.

• Fantasmic! Fanatic

You will need to buy some smoke fluid at the local hobby store and just add it to the smoke stack and it will start working. Do not use any home oils as they won't work how you want them to. Have fun with your train! This is my favorite hobby of all.

You can look at modelrailroader.com for hobby shops probably. Or www.walthers.com -- main page

• Closed Account

AGAIN...

I would HIGHLY caution you against following the advice of several of the posters here who are recommending hobby shop purchased smoke fluid. You may run the risk of permanently damaging the smoke unit.

The smoke fluid they are recommending is meant for ELECTRIC trains, which run at much higher voltages than the battery-operated trains descibed here.

I'm not saying store-bought smoke fluid won't work. Maybe it will work fine.

Do you want to risk it?
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 12-20-2009 at 12:12 PM.

• Collision speed....FULL!

I'm assuming your train is manufactured by New Bright, then if that's the case, it doesn't seem to matter what fluid is poured down the stack. I checked some sites and the posters seem to claim that what they used on their New Bright trains (assuming they are all using the same kind of equipment ) seems to work well for them, from "Super Smoke" to vegetable oil.

Hello Disney Fans,
    I am new to this board and found this thread thanks to my wife. Just today we set up our Disney 50th Anniversary train set around the tree as we have every Christmas since we bought it in '07. In my directions it says to add any household 3 in 1 oil or as I put in ours a few drips(3-5) of Marvel oil, available at any hardware store. Marvel has been around for years and I can remember the barber using it in his clippers while sitting in the chair. Just drop a little into the smoke stack hole and sit back and enjoy.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 146catm View Post
    Hello Disney Fans,
    I am new to this board and found this thread thanks to my wife. Just today we set up our Disney 50th Anniversary train set around the tree as we have every Christmas since we bought it in '07. In my directions it says to add any household 3 in 1 oil or as I put in ours a few drips(3-5) of Marvel oil, available at any hardware store. Marvel has been around for years and I can remember the barber using it in his clippers while sitting in the chair. Just drop a little into the smoke stack hole and sit back and enjoy.
    Welcome to MiceChat.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Wink Re: Disneyland Train Set --- smoke question.

Thanks for the warm welcome. Think I'll look around for a while.