View Poll Results: If MSEP returns to Disneyland, should the original music return too?

Voters
105. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

66 62.86%
  • No!

16 15.24%
  • Don't Care.

23 21.90%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Re: MSEP Back on Main Street in 2010? Should Original Music return with it?

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH KNITE View Post
    It's just a re-orchestration at best. Seriously guys? Really?
    Seriously, guy.

Really.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Making my own Mousekteers

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Absolutely not.

I understand that Disneyland should keep things from it's past but they should never keep things the same for the sake of the past. Very rarely do I consider something being old a reason for it not to change. Electrical Parade is no different.

Everything needs to be updated to keep up with the modern age. Otherwise it just gets old and wears away. I feel that the additions made to Disney's Electrical Parade were simply keeping the parade fresh.

Disney has done it right by not letting something stay the same for 15+ years with Electrical Parade. Fantasmic! is nearly the same show that it was when it debuted in 1992, which is outrageous. I would be outright frustrated if Disneyland were to bring back the old music for the sake of it being old.
    They don't bring things back just because they are old. They bring them back because they are currently incapable of doing things better. Look at Spectromagic. The soundtrack for that is god awful. No continuity at all.

They didn't edit the soundtrack because they wanted to keep it current they edited it because they kept taking out floats to make it shorter. This has nothing to do with it being old or irrelevant it has to do with length and what floats would be in it. And this time they decided to remaster on top of changing content. It certainly doesn't make it progress
    Last edited by Queentitania19; 12-20-2009 at 06:56 PM.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Let's not forget that the original soundtrack from 1972 isn't what we heard in Disneyland by the time the parade "glowed away" in 1996. Is it true that the music we had when the parade returned to Anaheim is a remastered version of the old Tokyo Disneyland Electrical Parade?
    Yes, but the original TDEP soundtrack was pretty much a remastered version of the 1977 Don Dorsey version with a few added effects here and there. The same music was used for DEP up until this year, save for the vocoder intro (the only thing that hasn't changed in the soundtrack since 2001). They built onto what music was already there, essentially.

The music that's there now, which is all completely from TDEP DreamLights (save for the voiceover, Cinderella, Pinocchio, and To Honor America parts) is a completely separate recording from 2001. It's not an "update" despite what Disney promotes it as (much of DLR guests would have no idea the music isn't new anyways). It's not even in the same key as the old soundtrack.

The music, to me, was the best part of the parade. Now, I can't even really enjoy the parade anymore. The parade definitely lost something when they took away the music. I feel like I lost a lot of sentimental value for the parade once they did that. To me, it's no different than getting rid of Grim Grinning Ghosts or A Pirate's Life for Me. The "new" music lacks the warmth of the original. It's awful. It does nothing for me.

It's not too late to bring the classic soundtrack back.
    Last edited by Evan; 12-21-2009 at 01:17 AM.

• Minion

why not do a mix of the original and the new?im sure it could be composed and be real dramatic and fun...one track one parade no need to do anything else

• Koubu Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Seriously, guy.

Really.

Yeah, a lot of hairsplitting goes on around here over anything and everything about Disneyland!

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Queentitania19 View Post
    They don't bring things back just because they are old. They bring them back because they are currently incapable of doing things better. Look at Spectromagic. The soundtrack for that is god awful. No continuity at all.

They didn't edit the soundtrack because they wanted to keep it current they edited it because they kept taking out floats to make it shorter. This has nothing to do with it being old or irrelevant it has to do with length and what floats would be in it. And this time they decided to remaster on top of changing content. It certainly doesn't make it progress
    Incapable is such the wrong word. Trust me, Disney is capable. Go to Tokyo Disney and come back telling me they aren't capable. Go look at Mystic Manor and tell me they aren't capable. They are very capable. But management isn't willing. Huge difference.

I don't see a correlation between parade length and parade soundtrack. I am confused...

• Yo!

To address ICe101 and your post simultaneously, there's zero correlation between the parade's length and why they changed the soundtrack. They could've kept taking away floats and the old soundtrack would've been perfectly fine. The soundtrack loops every minute-ish, so adding or removing a parade float would've been no issue.

To be honest, I have no clue why they ended up changing the soundtrack, but I can assure you it wasn't due to any issues regarding the length.
    "Keep Moving Forward."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by 1FoolishMortal View Post
    To address ICe101 and your post simultaneously, there's zero correlation between the parade's length and why they changed the soundtrack. They could've kept taking away floats and the old soundtrack would've been perfectly fine. The soundtrack loops every minute-ish, so adding or removing a parade float would've been no issue.

To be honest, I have no clue why they ended up changing the soundtrack, but I can assure you it wasn't due to any issues regarding the length.
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. The soundtrack isn't a typical soundtrack. Its a complicated piece of music where if the parade were to stall the music would still run in a continuous loop until the next section were to come. This way you would not be watching the Tinkerbell float while the Cinderella music is playing if the parade were to stall.

• Making my own Mousekteers

::shrug:: if they are capable of making a good parade soundtrack I haven't seen it domestically. I've never seen any of the overseas parades so I won't argue with you about it. Yes, the secret to the greatness of the MSELP is that it has a continuous linking theme that plays with each float theme. That is why I love it. But I still maintain that remastering the soundtrack wasn't real progress. It's just Disney spinning their wheels and wanting something so that they can say the parade has something new. I can't even watch that monstrosity that is the Tinkerbell float. Man I hate that pixie.

I raise my Kitties right.... they only watch the finest shows.

• Not Here / Not Now

I don't like the new soundtrack. It's really corny and pathetic IMHO. And it SHOULD come back to Disneyland. It stinks as it is that they cut the parade appearance down only for two weeks at the end of the year.

This doesn't go for just the MSEP, but I don't know what Disney is thinking to all these changes happening to the company. It's starting to rot very very very slowly..
    California Screamin' Ride Count: 111

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    The parade definitely lost something when they took away the music. I feel like I lost a lot of sentimental value for the parade once they did that. To me, it's no different than getting rid of Grim Grinning Ghosts or A Pirate's Life for Me. The "new" music lacks the warmth of the original. It's awful. It does nothing for me.

It's not to late to bring the classic soundtrack back.
    Bingo.

But I still maintain that remastering the soundtrack wasn't real progress. It's just Disney spinning their wheels and wanting something so that they can say the parade has something new.
    And double bingo.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• All? NO, ALL!

Quote Originally Posted by sunrider View Post
    why not do a mix of the original and the new?
    It'd probably be pretty discordant, since the old version and new version are in different keys.

• Banned User

Fine, bring back the old soundtrack and let the lack of progress continue.

I guess I am the only one that is against having a parade stay the same way for 20+ years without change...

• It's all about Theme!

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Incapable is such the wrong word. Trust me, Disney is capable. Go to Tokyo Disney and come back telling me they aren't capable. Go look at Mystic Manor and tell me they aren't capable. They are very capable. But management isn't willing. Huge difference.

I don't see a correlation between parade length and parade soundtrack. I am confused...
    Um, Tokyo Disneyland is the Oriental Land Co.'s magic at work. The Walt Disney Company, not so capable...
    Friend walks into line of The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh-
    "Come on, Let's go see Country Bear- .......Oh."
    -August 1st 2010

And this elevator traverls directly to The Twilight Zone The Gift Shop!
    -August 2nd 2010

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Jr. View Post
    Um, Tokyo Disneyland is the Oriental Land Co.'s magic at work. The Walt Disney Company, not so capable...
    I thought we were talking about Imagineers. Imagineers are very capable. But like you said, WDC, not so much. They are unwilling and cheap.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast