Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 57

Thread: Space Mountain

  1. #1

    • Regular Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    408

    Space Mountain

    Where did the name "Space Mountain" originate from? I can't believe people are complaining about "Carsland" and not this.

  2. #2

    • Northwest Disneyphile
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Portland Oregon
    Posts
    310

    Re: Space Mountain

    Because it looks like a mountain.
    Broadway Duchess, Darling if you only knew half as much as everybody thinks you do




  3. #3

    • He Gets The Job Done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tustin
    Posts
    8,158
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Space Mountain

    and it's in space.


  4. #4

    • =)
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    13,290

    Re: Space Mountain

    It's a Mountain that has Space in it - that simple. Just like Cars Land will be a Land that has Cars in it. The only difference is..."Space Mountain" actually sounds cool.


  5. #5

    •   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    BC, Canada
    Posts
    9,110
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Space Mountain

    To keep in tune with the other mountain ranges? I googled it and it was originally refered to as the "space port" but it soon adopted the "Space Mountain" name.

  6. #6

    • Regular Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    408

    Re: Space Mountain

    This is a mountain:



    This is "Space Mountain":



    Other than being big I don't see a resemblance!
    Last edited by Mr. Potato Head; 12-20-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Resizing

  7. #7

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Space Mountain

    Do all names have to be taken literally? It's big, it has a peak, resembling an abstract mountain. Dumbo The Flying Elephant doesn't literally have Dumbos flying does it?

  8. #8

    • Exec Asst to Captain E.O.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    597

    Re: Space Mountain

    Well, most of DL's big, iconic thrill rides are named after mountains ... Matterhorn Bobsleds is the attraction housed inside Matterhorn Mountain and then there is Big Thunder Mountain. Thinking back to the 1960's/1970's, it was trendy to envision Googley (sp?) architecture as being space-related; this is how the show building was designed. It was big, it was a thrill ride, and it was set in space ... therefore Space Mountain isn't that much of a stretch.

    I also think it seems less "cheesy" to us now because most of us grew up with it; those who were there for the construction/opening also probably brought into what, at the time, was a cool sounding name. But really, when you think about it "Big Thunder" and "Splash Mountain" don't sound any less cheesy.

    The other reason against the name of Carsland, I suppose, is twofold: 1) it's VERY limiting, more so than "Radiator Springs", as it's an entire district of the park named after a singular movie/movie concept. When was the last time this was done (with the exception of the EXTREMELY small Pixar Place at DHS ... but even this can have a larger, more encompassing concept than a SINGULAR attraction). The second reason, it would be safe to say, is that DCA wasn't opened with the "land" theme. Rather, the park had districts ... the Disneyland-style parks are really the only ones with the "land" word (i.e. Arabian Coast, American Waterfront at TDL, Asia and Africa at DAK, not Arabian Coastland or Asialand). With the exception of the rumored-renaming of HPB to Hollywoodland, it would break theme in this manner with the rest of the nomenclature of DCA (and please no comments about the lack of theme in DCA, that is off topic, unless discussing names).

    But, your original point is still lacking. Space Mountain kept theme with naming the large iconic thrill rides in DL-style parks after mountains; Carsland has no real precedent, either in the "land" word or in encompassing a larger theme past the restricting film concept.

  9. #9

    • Regular Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    408

    Re: Space Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by stevo505 View Post
    Do all names have to be taken literally? It's big, it has a peak, resembling an abstract mountain. Dumbo The Flying Elephant doesn't literally have Dumbos flying does it?


    Am I missing some sort of a joke here? I see flying elephants! (Yah whatever close enough)

    Space Mountain vs Dumbo Flying Elephants is kinda off.... Space Mountain looks nothing like a mountain. This looks close enough.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    OC
    Posts
    1,155

    Re: Space Mountain

    Does it really matter if it looks like a mountain or not? The ride is awesome, who cares what the name is!

  11. #11

    • Regular Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    408

    Re: Space Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by WJNM View Post
    Well, most of DL's big, iconic thrill rides are named after mountains ... Matterhorn Bobsleds is the attraction housed inside Matterhorn Mountain and then there is Big Thunder Mountain. Thinking back to the 1960's/1970's, it was trendy to envision Googley (sp?) architecture as being space-related; this is how the show building was designed. It was big, it was a thrill ride, and it was set in space ... therefore Space Mountain isn't that much of a stretch.

    I also think it seems less "cheesy" to us now because most of us grew up with it; those who were there for the construction/opening also probably brought into what, at the time, was a cool sounding name. But really, when you think about it "Big Thunder" and "Splash Mountain" don't sound any less cheesy.

    The other reason against the name of Carsland, I suppose, is twofold: 1) it's VERY limiting, more so than "Radiator Springs", as it's an entire district of the park named after a singular movie/movie concept. When was the last time this was done (with the exception of the EXTREMELY small Pixar Place at DHS ... but even this can have a larger, more encompassing concept than a SINGULAR attraction). The second reason, it would be safe to say, is that DCA wasn't opened with the "land" theme. Rather, the park had districts ... the Disneyland-style parks are really the only ones with the "land" word (i.e. Arabian Coast, American Waterfront at TDL, Asia and Africa at DAK, not Arabian Coastland or Asialand). With the exception of the rumored-renaming of HPB to Hollywoodland, it would break theme in this manner with the rest of the nomenclature of DCA (and please no comments about the lack of theme in DCA, that is off topic, unless discussing names).

    But, your original point is still lacking. Space Mountain kept theme with naming the large iconic thrill rides in DL-style parks after mountains; Carsland has no real precedent, either in the "land" word or in encompassing a larger theme past the restricting film concept.
    Interesting point. I personally hate Carsland and Hollywoodland as names, but feel Space Mountain is way more off. Sure it seems familiar and comfortable now, most people don't give it a second thought, but the whole argument about other rides being called mountains argument seems strange. They are ACTUAL mountains. This isn't.

  12. #12

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    4,387

    Re: Space Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post


    Am I missing some sort of a joke here? I see flying elephants! (Yah whatever close enough)

    Space Mountain vs Dumbo Flying Elephants is kinda off.... Space Mountain looks nothing like a mountain. This looks close enough.
    Perhaps Space Mountain is not supposed to be an actual mountain. Maybe that is just the name of the Space Station.

  13. #13

    • Exec Asst to Captain E.O.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    597

    Re: Space Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    Interesting point. I personally hate Carsland and Hollywoodland as names, but feel Space Mountain is way more off. Sure it seems familiar and comfortable now, most people don't give it a second thought, but the whole argument about other rides being called mountains argument seems strange. They are ACTUAL mountains. This isn't.
    Well, if you want to get into "actual" things here ... they are DESIGNED to look like actual mountains, obviously. They are little more than steel, concrete, plaster and paint. Same thing as Space. You're trying to imply real world implications into a self-admittedly fantasy world embarking through imagination. Again, think back to the time period of design; whose to say that a tall, intimidating structure with a peak couldn't look like a space/futuristic mountain?

  14. #14

    • Exec Asst to Captain E.O.
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    597

    Re: Space Mountain

    Quote Originally Posted by Bibbidi-Bobbidi-Bo View Post
    Does it really matter if it looks like a mountain or not? The ride is awesome, who cares what the name is!
    That's a slippery-slope there. I suggest we rename Indiana Jones "Garlic Farts" and Soarin' "Hot Liquid-Coming-Up Indigestion Burp".

    Kidding, I see your point.

  15. #15

    •   
    • Senior Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laguna Beach,CA
    Posts
    7,223
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Space Mountain

    First of all Space Mountain Start in WDW, Just one thing there is not a tall mountain in Orlando.
    Want a indoor Rollercoster for the weather but did not happen.

    So the building is some what look like cone or a mountain.
    Rocket and Space
    The Name Is Space Mountain.

    So Disneyland is the secound version of the Attraction.
    Last edited by akfandisney; 12-20-2009 at 03:20 PM.
    AKfandisney Have a Magic Disney day șoș 2010
    Alan





    Toy Story Mania construction:
    Older photo
    New Photo

    Member of
    MiceChat WDW Trip
    Next trip
    2014 Dec, 31

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Idea] Plusing Space Mountain with Mission Space element
    By Dlandclub33 in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-29-2009, 12:17 PM
  2. TDL's upgraded Space Mountain vs. DLR's Space Mountain
    By ChrisFL in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
  3. Spooky Space Mountain/Haunted Space Mountain Idea...
    By Quacky4Donald in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 02:39 PM
  4. Loops in Space Mountain? 60 MPH in Space Mountain?
    By Abominable Snowman in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 01-22-2007, 01:29 PM
  5. RockIt Space Mountain vs. Rockin' Space Mountain
    By WatchYourHeadNStep in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 11-19-2006, 04:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •