Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Historical Question 365

Has Disneyland always been open everyday of the year and year round? Ive heard mixed answers on this question, we did a tour a few years back, the guide said they used to close on Mondays she thought but didnt know exactly when that was or when it stopped.

Re: Historical Question 365

I believe it was closed mondays the first few years....

I read more somewhere but I don't remember all the details!

• Banned User

It actually wasn't as long as you would think. I remember seeing an ad for Big Thunder Mountain on YouTube saying "Only at Disneyland! Opened Wednesday-Sunday"

Ah here it is:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlpHejdnjnI"]YouTube- Disneyland Commercial 1979-BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RR[/ame]
    Big Thunder Strikes!

That was cool, thanks for the commercial and the update.
    In some ways that makes sense, but I would of thought it would of been a little longer.

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Cool Commcercial

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

When was the last day disneyland was actually closed?

• "I Break Things"

I've read a few accounts of a "gentleman's agreement" between Walt Disney and Walter Knott. Basically Disneyland was closed on Mondays, Knott's was closed on Tuesdays... or something like that. The theory being that both needed downtime for maintenance, and they didn't want to be down at the same time. I don't know if this is true, or if it was merely coincidence. But it would be nice if someone could say either way.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Quote Originally Posted by Goover View Post
    Miley's Birthday

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I've read a few accounts of a "gentleman's agreement" between Walt Disney and Walter Knott. Basically Disneyland was closed on Mondays, Knott's was closed on Tuesdays... or something like that. The theory being that both needed downtime for maintenance, and they didn't want to be down at the same time. I don't know if this is true, or if it was merely coincidence. But it would be nice if someone could say either way.
    This is true, from what I've read it from Disneyland guidebooks. In the early years, both Disneyland and Knott's were down for several days a week each, not just one day. It was something like each park split the weekdays, and both were open on Friday and weekends. This way, visitors would always have at least one park open to visit, and the parks could perform maintenance and save operation cost on weekdays.

This is purely from memory, please correct me or add info if you know more...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    Miley's Birthday
    technically it was open that day though, if you wanted to join the celbration, I remember getting an email about it.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Potato Head View Post
    Miley's Birthday
    That was only an early closing.

May 4, 2005, I believe, was the last official closed-to-the-public date. But that was for getting press excited about the 50th anniversary celebration, so it was still "open" to a restricted audience.

Other closures, according to wiki:
    9/11/2001.
    Following JFK assassination.
    Following Northridge Earthquake.
    (Don't know the number if days after the last two. One is likely for Earthquake, since it was far enough away not to do major damage.)
    Last edited by sediment; 12-22-2009 at 02:52 PM.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Fastest Man Alive

Feb 6th, 1985- Disneyland begins 7 days a week of operation. That last unscheduled day Disneyland was closed was Sept. 11th 2001
    "If we cut the budget are you going to be the one standing at the exit explaining to guests why the ride they just rode is a piece of crap?" - - John Lasseter

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Yeah Disneyland would close Monday and Tuesday with Knotts closing Wednesday and Thursday. This way both parks could do maintenance and refurbishments while their was still always something to do in the Orange County region.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Wally View Post
    Feb 6th, 1985- Disneyland begins 7 days a week of operation. That last unscheduled day Disneyland was closed was Sept. 11th 2001
    Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    Yeah Disneyland would close Monday and Tuesday with Knotts closing Wednesday and Thursday. This way both parks could do maintenance and refurbishments while their was still always something to do in the Orange County region.
    Eisner preferred crushing competition over cooperating with it.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

I own a copy of the work schedule for the train crew beginning the week after the Park opened in 1955. It specifies seven-days-a-week operation through September (presumably when the kids went back to school).

DL was DEFINITELY open seven days a week at one time--or at least for a short time after its opening.

Later, closures on Mondays and Tuesdays seems to be the norm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast