Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Vintage Disneyland Postcards

Thought I would share some of my personal collection of old postcards, and I do have quite a few more, so further installments may show up in this thread if people wish....

Let's get started!

Looks like a nice day at the hub, the horse pulling the cart even looks like it is wearing a silly hat in celebration!

Things are pretty dead over at the Upjohn Pharmacy on Main Street. I am sad the famous jar of live leeches isn't on display, front and center.

Ooooh....nighttime on the rivers of America. The Haunted Mansion peeks over the bushes, waiting to pounce on an unsuspecting keelboat. I only have seen this postcard once (when I purchased it), and it is one of my favorites as Mansion postcards are somewhat limited, let alone one as atmospheric as this.

Tomorrowland, with nary a cartoon clownfish or Space Ranger in sight....

Very nice exterior photo of fan favorite, "Not that Damned Song Again, the Dolls are Going to Kill Me in My Sleep"

Yeeeehah! Let's head out for the painted desert and Nature's Wonderland! Hint: Don't pet the coyotes.

The Mark Twain chugs past some of the more wild portions of the park. On board, everyone is drinking absinthe and playing cards.

That thar house what has them ghosties in it.

I don't have anything to say about this. Just walk away.

Thanks for looking, and hope you all enjoyed this little look at the Disneyland that once was! I will see about getting some other postcards scanned in time.....comments welcome!

•     
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Orbital Pluto

Re: Vintage Disneyland Postcards

Always a pleasure to see what you have lurking in the depths of your post card collection, just waiting to see the light of day. I especially enjoyed the painted desert and Nature's Wonderland card. Good times!

Thanks!
    "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
    raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

— Ernest Thompson Seton

Wow, these are really great! I'm really digging the nighttime shot of the Rivers of America. Thanks for sharing them!

• Christmastime for Rocker

Blog Entries

Great photos of the vintage postcards of Disneyland! I especially liked that photo of the Mark Twain crossing the Rivers of America. What happend to that waterfall in that postcard?

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

i like the castle in the picture, even though it's a little lopsided now i can see why people don't like the pink paint
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker View Post
    Great photos of the vintage postcards of Disneyland! I especially liked that photo of the Mark Twain crossing the Rivers of America. What happend to that waterfall in that postcard?
    That waterfall was part of Mine Train Through Nature's Wonderland. The train would go around the different falls on the mountain. It was called Cascade Peak and had quite a few waterfalls cascading down the sides of it. It was torn down way after MTTNW closed, I believe, because it had extensive wood rot. I would hope to see something like this in that same spot some time in the near future.

• We Want The Redhead

I never get enough of this kind of thing. Thanks for sharing these.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

Very cool! My daughter as a few old Disney postcards in her collection, but I suspect nothing like what you probably have! Thanks for sharing with us! Postcards are a wonderful way to catch a glimpse of history!

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Very niiiiiice! Hope you post more!

I enjoyed seeing your cards. I always look through the old postcards at the flea markets, hoping to find some Disneyland ones. I have one that someone sent my Dad when he was a teenager that I should post! They have such a wonderful feel about them. I love the Mary Blair mural that is seen in the Tomorrowland one.
    WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
    DLR: 1999, 2009
    DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
    http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

• Minion

This is the Disneyland of my childhood and it's GREAT to see these shots. I miss the big olive trees in the central plaza hub. The dappled shade they provided a tranquil, park-like setting to just sit and relax and watch it all go by. The jar of leeches at the Upjohn Pharmacy was a bizarre curiosity that had to be explained to me. The Nature's Wonderland area was full of great surprises and the beautiful Rainbow Caverns. In the photo of the Mark Twain, you see the waterfalls on Cascade Peak and the Mine Train went behind the large one at the bottom, then in front of a couple smaller ones that aren't seen in that photo. The Mine Train was closed in January 1977, then Big Thunder Mt. RR opened in Sept. 1979. Cascade Peak was still there until 1998 when it was finally bulldozed. Frontierland at night in the 1960s and 1970s was peaceful, almost sleepy, not a stage for an outdoor show. Tomorrowland at night was glamorous and exciting and full of life. Please post more!

• Nerd

Smile Re: Vintage Disneyland Postcards

Wow!
    These postcards actually brought a sentimental tear to my eyes. (sniff)
    I was 9 in 1968. These pictures bring back some great memories of being a kid. We couldn't sleep the night before we were going to Disneyland. It was like Christmas. I remember driving down the 5 frwy and seeing the Matterhorn out the car window in the distance as we approached the park. Ahhhhh. post more! Its exactly how I remember it!

• Bring back the Keelboats!

Postcards were one of my first collections. You have some really nice ones there. In case you would like to see all the postcards, there is a terrific book called 'Nickel Tour' that puts them, I believe, in the order in which they were released. There are two editions. Mine is the first and the second was updated with more recent.

Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Quote Originally Posted by HiddenMickeyBook View Post
    Postcards were one of my first collections. You have some really nice ones there. In case you would like to see all the postcards, there is a terrific book called 'Nickel Tour' that puts them, I believe, in the order in which they were released. There are two editions. Mine is the first and the second was updated with more recent.
    Nickel Tour is indeed an excellent book, though I must admit to not having cracked it open in a while...worth a look again one of these days, you are quite right.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Thank you all very much for the kind words! Sadly, I missed out on a lot of this era of Disneyland, though can recall the busy Tomorrowland pictured here as a young child. Glad people are enjoying these and that bring back memories. More shall be posted in due course.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast