Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• :)

Re: Disney Imagineering Question

I would recommend (while you're still in School) apply at one of the Parks & Resorts, get Disney experience & network network network.

if you're already internal your chances are much greater, with the corresponding education of course.

trust me

• Future Imagineer! =D

Also, I reccommend getting an internship with some landscaping architect company while in college. It might look good on your resume! I also suggest maybe befriending an Imagineer if possible. I know an Imagineer and it sounds like he gets paid good and he gets to travel to Tokyo a lot since he works specifically on Tokyo Disneyland a lot
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Once upon a dream

Well I cant draw blueprints yet since I haven't learned them but I am able to draw things from scratch.

• Tech in Training

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post
    Hopefully, the pendulum will eventually swing the other way. By the time most in school now have the opportunity to get hired there, maybe things will have changed for the better.
    Or maybe if we actually end up working at WDI, then we could make it change for the better. If people band together, then they can achieve quite a bit.

• Collision speed....FULL!

To get into WDI, just for anything, you need (off the top of my head)

• To be really good at a field you're interested in. Your skill(s) really need to be top notch or close to it.

• Proficient in drawing is a must. John Lasseter says "if you can't draw, you shouldn't be in this building". That includes blueprint reading and drawing; CAD is also recommended.

• An art background is highly recommended.

• A degree of some sort is highly recommended to show how serious you are in your field. Architecture and Landscaping certifications are out there in the Colleges.

• Be very versatile, you may need to move to different departments at anytime. That can range from sculpting, model making, drafting, illustration, painting, etc. Also most projects deal with many different areas like electrical, structural, and site planning with different requirements and it's important to understand those aspects.

• Get a ton of experience, not just in theme parks but also in the movie industry for example; something that is related to what you can do.

• Get a kick-••• portfolio done; a couple of ideas and drawings are not going to cut it. A large range of stuff of different media, original preferred, would be ideal. Saying you can draw ideas from scratch isn't really going to work also-- prove it in a portfolio and in the field; walk the walk, not just talk the talk. Going all out in presentation of the work is also very important; that can even make or break the project.

• Get well known by people who work(ed) there who know of your work and what you can do; if I'm not mistaken you HAVE to be referred by a current or former Imagineer in order to work there.

It'll take time to get in, no one gets in straight out of high school. Take the time to build up skills and experience to prove you're up to the task.

• Senior Minion

Get really good grades is the first thing I would tell you. Most of the Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs in California are highly competetive, you need to have at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA, probably higher unless you have exceptional SAT scores. Apply to a top level school, the Cal Polys, top UC's or USC, and Woodbury are your best options if you want to stay in state. Then as other people have said try and get as much as experience as possible in a number of areas. I've been applying to work for WDI myself, just a number of years ahead of you in the process, hopefully I get hired eventually. I got a nice rejection letter last time basically saying we got more experienced people who applied for the position, but we liked your resume so keep trying. So, I guess I'll keep trying.

• All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    Thanks everyone

So what classes should I be taking in High School for Arcitecture?

Also I think I am able to do a story line and I know some Lightning. I have been doing drama for 6 years now and have had to do assignments of making up a story line. Also I have been taught some different lightning like this certain lighting sillouthes a person etc.

Edit: Also, I took a look into the Imagination thing. Are they looking for Attraction designs and/or ideas?
    I'm an architecture student in college right now, but strongly considered landscape architecture as a major, and have several friends who are in our college's program. In my opinion, there aren't many classes most high schools offer that would be of special benefit to a prospective architect. My best advice would be to keep your grades up in all of your classes, so you can be sure to get in to the school you want that offers a landscape arch. degree. Do, though, take any drawing classes that your high school may offer, or general art classes as well. Drawing is actually HUGELY important to all fields of architecture, landscape in particular. You don't have to be Da Vinci or anything, for communicating your ideas is the priority, but the better you are at drawing, the better of you'll be. Also, by taking art classes, you can keep your work and build a portfolio, which you can send to colleges to help you get in their program.

As for college, you'll want to find one that offers Landscape Architecture specifically. Usually, a university with LA will offer either a 4-years undergrad program and you'll need to get a Master's Degree afterward before you can become accreditted, or the university will offer a 5-year Undergrad, no Master's required. My school does the latter.

I hope I helped!

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Get really good grades is the first thing I would tell you. Most of the Architecture and Landscape Architecture programs in California are highly competetive, you need to have at least a 3.5 unweighted GPA, probably higher unless you have exceptional SAT scores. Apply to a top level school, the Cal Polys, top UC's or USC, and Woodbury are your best options if you want to stay in state. Then as other people have said try and get as much as experience as possible in a number of areas. I've been applying to work for WDI myself, just a number of years ahead of you in the process, hopefully I get hired eventually. I got a nice rejection letter last time basically saying we got more experienced people who applied for the position, but we liked your resume so keep trying. So, I guess I'll keep trying.
    Man... that really sucks to hear. Well right now I have all A's but im only just beginning . I have also had plans of going to USC or UC Irvine. Ill just keep practicing and taking my courses. Also.... should I keep drawing something over and over again? ( Ex. Belle )

• Doesn't get enough Disney

Add me to the chunk of kids who want to be Imagineers.

Feels like a cliche now, but I know this is really the only career I'm interested in, and I know it will be a tough road, but I won't give up.

I'm planning to go into Theater Design, and I've been building my school's drama sets, helping lighting, and just learning overall tricks of the trade. I read every bit of Imagineering literature I can get my hands on, I have about 11+ that relate to Imaginering... I just know its where I belong.

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrιe n’est jamais gratuit.
    Il faut payer de sa vie.

• Pongo is my hero.

Don't worry if you can't draw- many Imagineers can't.

As long as you have an idea and some way to show it off- whether it be a 3D model, a sculpture, or even through body motions (really!).

The most important aspect is a creative mind, and don't be psyched out of your dream job either. That person who went to the top notch school may not have the ideas or concepts you have. To take from a classic Disney movie, you may be that diamond in the rough.

one hundred and one

So I may be of little help here, but thought I would post because of our similarities of situations. I am currently majoring in Landscape Architecture at Cal Poly, SLO and am also trying to get into Imagineering. As several have posted, do try to enter the ImagiNations competition as often as you are eligible for. In high school, make sure to take some drafting classes if they are offered, even basic architectural drafting, as it will come in handy I promise. If your school offers any other lighting courses, even theater based, I'd recommend these as they will come in handy as well. '

Hope any or all of that helped.

• Senior Minion

Man... that really sucks to hear. Well right now I have all A's but im only just beginning . I have also had plans of going to USC or UC Irvine. Ill just keep practicing and taking my courses. Also.... should I keep drawing something over and over again? ( Ex. Belle )
    No, I would suggest drawing everything not one thing. Draw real people a lot, they are one of the hardest things to draw and learning how the body moves will help in all your drawing. Learn the basics of drawing, both freehand and mechanical drawings. Learn what plans, elevations and sections and perspective are and understand how to read and interpret them. Just doing quick sketches a lot will hone your skills. I also really like the book Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain which helps train you to be more visual.

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

Quote Originally Posted by stitchrulz View Post
    The only thing that I've heard is that they generally like to have people who are multi-talented and are good at everything.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I generally am...) I'm also a freshman and someday I want be an Imagineer or CEO of The Walt Disney Company - that way, I can slap the bean counters' heads and greenlight everything decent and say no to the stupid stuff...
    just remember to say no to the stupid stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    not trying to be a downer, but Disney pays/treats you like dogs really, it would be much more beneficial to you just to start your own company, etc.
    Not everyone is in a job for the money. Some people do it because they love doing it and the money is secondary.

Well I cant draw blueprints yet since I haven't learned them but I am able to draw things from scratch.
    This is something you will learn. Some highschools offer drafting classes, some don't, but college definitely does.

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    Don't worry if you can't draw- many Imagineers can't.
    Ding ding ding! Drawing is not a key absolute must have skill. Presentation is. You must be able to present your ideas... drawing just happens to be one of the easier, quicker ways. It isn't the only one

As for John Lasseter's "If you can't draw you don't belong in this building" comment, it has nothing to do with WDI. It was said to the executives at WDAS. Basically his point was, if you have no artistic talent, why are you making decisions about artistic ventures. He was letting them know there was a new sheriff in town in no uncertain terms. It did not apply to WDI as the building he was in was locating at the Burbank Studios, not the Glendale warehouses/offices.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Once upon a dream

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Not everyone is in a job for the money. Some people do it because they love doing it and the money is secondary.

Yeah. I am doing it because I love disney and I think it would be so cool to work with them. I onlly want enough money to support myself.

This is something you will learn. Some highschools offer drafting classes, some don't, but college definitely does.
    We are only offered Art.

Ding ding ding! Drawing is not a key absolute must have skill. Presentation is. You must be able to present your ideas... drawing just happens to be one of the easier, quicker ways. It isn't the only one

So you need to have a Big imagination and fresh ideas? Like explain to them your new ideas not just in drawings?

As for John Lasseter's "If you can't draw you don't belong in this building" comment, it has nothing to do with WDI. It was said to the executives at WDAS. Basically his point was, if you have no artistic talent, why are you making decisions about artistic ventures. He was letting them know there was a new sheriff in town in no uncertain terms. It did not apply to WDI as the building he was in was locating at the Burbank Studios, not the Glendale warehouses/offices.
    Yeah that kinda scared me there.... the John Lasseter as I am no Da Vinci.

Thanks for clearing so much up

Also. Thanks Bob. I was being told to draw one thing over and over but I wasn't sure since it wouldn't help me.

~babs09

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast