Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Disney Imagineering Question

Yeah, remember to be an expert in in thing and have knowledge and experience in a lot of other diverse areas. Be "well rounded."

It also helps to really cultivate people skills. You need to be someone that others like to work with. Someone who is good communicating with people (a debate class or two might help here) as well as being friendly without being a pushover. Often times companies will hire person a over person b because person a is an easier person to work with, despite b being a better technical fit for the job.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Your Average Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    What courses and classes should I take? What are they looking for?

You might want to look at the Disney jobs board. They indicate what kind of people they are looking for, and what experience they expect. Once you know this, you can plan accordingly.

Hope this helps.

• Once upon a dream

Thanks once again you guys

~babs09

• Senior Minion

Well I kind of agree with Tim Burton, who says everyone can draw. They just get intimidated from doing it at some point in childhood because they don't think they're as good at it as others so they stop. Drawing is a skill, something that you can get better and better at as long as you keep doing it. Sure, some people are incredibly gifted and it comes really easy to them, but for the most part anyone can learn to draw well enough to get their ideas across. Or in Mr. Burton's case, well enough to be an aclaimed director and have his art featured at MoMA, and he's not an amazing techinical drawer, he's just got cool ideas and enough skill to communicate them.

• Future Imagineer! =D

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    Don't worry if you can't draw- many Imagineers can't.
    Thank God! I'm awful at drawing, but my dream job is to be an Imagineer and I know I can do it if they don't mind me not having drawing ability
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Earning My Stripes

Don't worry if you can't draw- many Imagineers can't.

As long as you have an idea and some way to show it off- whether it be a 3D model, a sculpture, or even through body motions (really!).
    This is a good point and I'm mostly in agreement due to the wide range of disciplines WDI employs. However, in regards to the OP, the ability to draw would be much more relevant to a landscape architect than a sculptor.

• Doesn't get enough Disney

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Well I kind of agree with Tim Burton, who says everyone can draw. They just get intimidated from doing it at some point in childhood because they don't think they're as good at it as others so they stop. Drawing is a skill, something that you can get better and better at as long as you keep doing it. Sure, some people are incredibly gifted and it comes really easy to them, but for the most part anyone can learn to draw well enough to get their ideas across. Or in Mr. Burton's case, well enough to be an aclaimed director and have his art featured at MoMA, and he's not an amazing techinical drawer, he's just got cool ideas and enough skill to communicate them.
    Thank you for posting this!
    Tim Burton is honestly my favorite director, and I'm (hopefully) going to see his work on display at MoMA. It's really inspiring to me, to see his views on the matter.

Si vous voulez venir danser aussi, le ticket d’entrée n’est jamais gratuit.
    Il faut payer de sa vie.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

This is a very cool way to look at it.

As for schooling and preparation, it seems to me that anytime you go for some position in Hollywood, it becomes a matter of who you know.

I know that sounds cliche, but I have had several friends who worked in the industry and noted that while schools attended can have some play in your success, a lot of that comes through who you met at that school and the connections THEY had in the industry.

I use my alma mater, USC, as an example.

I had a friend who worked for Warners and he said that he worked with a number of people out of USC, but he also worked with others who went to all kinds of schools.

I think making personal contacts is hugely important.

And one school I've seen not mentioned is CalArts. Doesn't that have the closest of Disney affiliations? I don't know anything about their curriculum, but that's a name I hear mentioned a lot when it comes to Disney.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post

As for schooling and preparation, it seems to me that anytime you go for some position in Hollywood, it becomes a matter of who you know.

I know that sounds cliche, but I have had several friends who worked in the industry and noted that while schools attended can have some play in your success, a lot of that comes through who you met at that school and the connections THEY had in the industry.

I had a friend who worked for Warners and he said that he worked with a number of people out of USC, but he also worked with others who went to all kinds of schools.

And one school I've seen not mentioned is CalArts. Doesn't that have the closest of Disney affiliations? I don't know anything about their curriculum, but that's a name I hear mentioned a lot when it comes to Disney.
    As far as connections go, try LinkedIn.com. Networking can help and many current and former Disney employees are there. Also, if you ever get the opportunity to talk to an Imagineer, often at the NFFC convention and now at future D23 Expos or even at the parks, if you're lucky enough to run into one, do it. For the most part, they are happy to chat. There are some significant Imagineers (like Tony Baxter) who are extremely accessible and more than willing to provide advice.

• Once upon a dream

Thanks for all the info everyon

~babs09

• Future Cast Member

I am not a freshman yet, I will be one next year, but I was wondering about the qualifications as well. This thread has some great information! =) I'm glad to see that you don't need to be a great drawer. I can draw to get my ideas across, but I'm still not great

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by CASurfer65 View Post

Yes, if you want to do anything related to animation, film, art or music, CalArts is one of the top programs and is the school that Walt helped found and that the Disney Co and family continue to support. It's also where John Lasseter and Tim Burton and a number of other really tallented people went. So in the sense of making Disney connections, that is probably one of the best places. Although, it doesn't offer the technical degrees like architecture and engineering that make up most of the Imagineers. Definitely if you want to do anything more theatrical as a major, that would be the place to go.

• Pongo is my hero.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleImagineer View Post
    Thank God! I'm awful at drawing, but my dream job is to be an Imagineer and I know I can do it if they don't mind me not having drawing ability
    I find if you have a vivid imagination and clearly know what you want to convey- you will be able to somewhat draw it/paint it/sculpt it.

one hundred and one

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    As for John Lasseter's "If you can't draw you don't belong in this building" comment, it has nothing to do with WDI. It was said to the executives at WDAS. Basically his point was, if you have no artistic talent, why are you making decisions about artistic ventures. He was letting them know there was a new sheriff in town in no uncertain terms. It did not apply to WDI as the building he was in was locating at the Burbank Studios, not the Glendale warehouses/offices.
    Still, no matter where you are working for Disney in the artistic field, you still gotta know how to draw, even if it is the basics.

I've been in meetings where someone is trying to explain something and they just couldn't do it properly without a good drawing. There was even a situation where someone's drawing was so bad it confused the hell out of our group when we were trying to get something put together accurately. A visual reference is important in complex projects and being able to reproduce those on the spot on site and accurately is very important. Especially if you're in charge telling someone how to build or advance your project.

In short, take drawing classes and practice, practice, practice. Draw everything. Even if you think you aren't going to use it, trust me, there will be times when it's very handy.
    Last edited by Nautilus; 12-28-2009 at 10:15 AM.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I find if you have a vivid imagination and clearly know what you want to convey- you will be able to somewhat draw it/paint it/sculpt it.
    That's true. It's not that I'm bad, I just need some instruction to help me draw something. Maybe I should start taking some sort of classes
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast