Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Once upon a dream

Disney Imagineering Question

Ok well I was wondering what the requirements would be to become a Landscaping Archeticet (sp?) for Disney. I know people say make something with all your ideas but what else? I am still a Freshmen in High School and I am able to draw and come up with an idea in a few seconds if asked. What courses and classes should I take? What are they looking for?

• Drink life to the lees.

Re: Disney Imagineering Question

The only thing that I've heard is that they generally like to have people who are multi-talented and are good at everything.... Someone correct me if I'm wrong (which I generally am...) I'm also a freshman and someday I want be an Imagineer or CEO of The Walt Disney Company - that way, I can slap the bean counters' heads and greenlight everything decent and say no to the stupid stuff...

• I'm not really here

It is INCREDIBLY rare for someone to just get hired at WDI straight out of school. They prefer people who have had experience in their selected field.

As was said, they also like people who are well seasoned and have experience and knowledge of related areas. You need to be able to see and know exactly how your area of expertise fits in and meshes with other areas of a project. You'll need to understand architecture and how landscaping can enhance it, not just landscaping. Lighting will also probably be something you'll want to think about as many Disney attractions and locations are lit at night. You'll also want to think in terms of theater (the story being told by a place).

You'll want to get the best education you can, and work hard to learn all you can in as many areas as possible and get experience in many different applications of your field. You'll want to apply, apply, reapply and in the words of one Imagineer: "Beg and plead." If it is your dream, do not give up on it. Work hard and learn always and keep shooting for it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Tech in Training

Also, look into the ImagiNations competition that they put on. The top competitors in that competition get to have an internship with WDI, and sometimes they end up actually working for WDI. It's also a college competition, so it's your best bet for getting an opportunity at a young age. It's actually what I'm planning on doing in the coming years when I'm in college.

You mainly just need the college classes and work experience in the specific area you are applying for as an Imagineer.

Here's the site for the competition:
    ImagiNations: Dream Design Diversify| Disney Careers | Disney.com

• Once upon a dream

Thanks everyone

So what classes should I be taking in High School for Arcitecture?

Also I think I am able to do a story line and I know some Lightning. I have been doing drama for 6 years now and have had to do assignments of making up a story line. Also I have been taught some different lightning like this certain lighting sillouthes a person etc.

Edit: Also, I took a look into the Imagination thing. Are they looking for Attraction designs and/or ideas?

• Tech in Training

They're looking for almost anything related to the parks. You could create an attraction, a show, a couple of attractions, a whole land, or even an entire park. It's pretty nonspecific in the requirements.

• Future Imagineer! =D

I'm a freshman too and want to become an Imagineer one day. Actually, if you get the job as a Landscape Architect then you will be an imagineer. I'm not sure what type of school or anything you'd have to go through.
    My mom met a man on an airplane a few weeks ago who works for a national landscaping company and he said that they actually do work for Disney. They take care of landscaping along with the Imagineers. The name of this company is VallyCrest Landscape Development. Maybe you could contact them? I hope I helped
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Future Imagineer! =D

Omg! I also plan on entering the ImagiNation contest once I'm in college and yes, I believe you can do anything in the contest, but good luck cuz I know I'm gonna end up winning(;
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

• Banned User

not trying to be a downer, but Disney pays/treats you like dogs really, it would be much more beneficial to you just to start your own company, etc.

• Collision speed....FULL!

Quote Originally Posted by Casey Jr View Post
    not trying to be a downer, but Disney pays/treats you like dogs really, it would be much more beneficial to you just to start your own company, etc.
    Not when you're working at WDI.

• Banned User

They pay you in pennies and will fire you on a dime. My friend's mom's an Imagineer and that's what I hear.
    really, just trying to help, but if you love it, go for it!

• Once upon a dream

Thanks again for the information everyone

I also heard that you dont have to be a really good drawer but good enough to interprut your ideas?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nautilus View Post
    Not when you're working at WDI.
    Depends on how well you play the politics. As I understand it, the treatment and benefits have declined over much of the past decade. Imagineering used to have more of a family feeling and morale was exceedingly high. In recent years, a lot of the perks, bonuses, etc. have been reduced or eliminated. A lot of the outsourcing has taken much of the comradeship away.

Hopefully, the pendulum will eventually swing the other way. By the time most in school now have the opportunity to get hired there, maybe things will have changed for the better.

• Banned User

yeah, you don't have to be a great artist (I'm not one for sure!) although can you draw blueprints?... layouts?... you can have other ways to convey your ideas as well like models.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Babs09 View Post
    Thanks again for the information everyone

I also heard that you dont have to be a really good drawer but good enough to interprut your ideas?
    While you don't have to be a a great artist, it would serve you well to be able to clearly express your ideas. And, in the beginning, you might be required to help express other's ideas. Whether that's via renderings, models or computer simulations, it would benefit you to develop at least some medium to do that with.

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast