Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Splash Mountain

• Yes, that is my real name

The Far Northern, California, United States
    Blog Entries

Wink Splash Mountain

I don't know if you remember, but last month I had a thread asking about Splash Mountain. I am a super wimp and on top of that I hate getting wet. I want to say thanks for everyone encouraging me to brave the water and go on it! First off I have to say I am so glad I went on the ride. I get to cross it off my to do list and say I was brave! When we got on the ride my husband sat in the far back, my 8 year old nephew in front of him and I was in front of the little guy. In front of me was a college guy and his gf sitting in the front seat. I was glad to see I was not the only nervous one, she was very anxious and he kept telling her, don't worry it's ok, it's not scary! Most of the ride is pretty mellow, nice little float along, stuff to see, and then we came to the incline for the big plunge. I was starting to panick and was thinking, is there any way to jump off this thing? Two logs in front of us, some did! They jumped up and bailed off the side! Seeing that I really wanted to join him! Just as we started up the incline and our log was fully tilted back the ride stopped! We were still for almost two minutes which gave me, and the girl in front enough time to really start rethinking this ride. The ride started up again and about half a log length front the top, we stopped again! This time we were stopped for over 3 minutes!! I really started freaking out! Just then the log went forward and well, down we went! I closed my eyes and screamed as loud as I could as I tried to scoot down in the log! I could hear my nephew behind me yelling, WOOHOO, YEAH MAN!! When we got to the bottom and we were once again softly floating along I opened my eyes. The poor girl in front was soaked and crying and her bf kept telling her, Sorry, sorry. I was happy to be alive, and my nephew was hollaring that was awesome and my husband was laughing, calling me a wimpy wimp! When we got off the ride we checked out our photo, it was so funny, the girl was freaking out, I was hiding behind the guy, you couldn't even see my short little nephew and my husband had this big goofy grin on his face!

I am so glad I did Splash Mountain, but I can also say, I never want to do it again!!
    Yaye!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Re: Splash Mountain

Great story! But I'm sorry about getting stuck.

I remember my first ride on Splash Mountain. I wouldn't do it, but finally forced myself in line (it was really empty during Fantasmic, so I took advantage of the empty line) but I just rememered to myself 'It's only about 2 seconds your going down the drop' and I was right, it seemed short and I enjoyed it a ton!

Blog Entries

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...68551176CGRJIO

I'm trying to figure out how to post the picture! It's uploaded on webshots, any advice?
    Yaye!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

Wow that girl looks terrified!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    Great story! But I'm sorry about getting stuck.

I remember my first ride on Splash Mountain. I wouldn't do it, but finally forced myself in line (it was really empty during Fantasmic, so I took advantage of the empty line) but I just rememered to myself 'It's only about 2 seconds your going down the drop' and I was right, it seemed short and I enjoyed it a ton!

Yeah I am so glad on went on it, I got to experience it, so now I won't have to wonder anymore, I think once was enough for me though!! I love Big Thunder Mountain Railroad, I'll stick to that!
    Yaye!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dmtnt55 View Post
    Wow that girl looks terrified!
    Yeah, I imagine that's about what I looked like!
    Yaye!

• The 'Big Dreams' Kid

If only you could see you lol

• Miss Teen Fresno of RCMC

lol yeah it looks like you're hiding behind the boyfriend well hey! it's been experienced! congrats!
    Quote Originally Posted by JungleCruiseFan View Post
    You know what they say- The party don't start 'til Jordon walks in.
    Quote Originally Posted by penguinsoda View Post

That picture is classic!!

• Future Princess

Haha that poor girl!! Congrats on braving the ride though
    I've still never had the chance to do it, although there is a ride just like it in Australia but the drop is slightly longer!!!
    It took me 4 years to get my Mum on it and we "accidently" forgot to warn her about the 20ft backwards rollercoaster-styled drop just before the incline up the mountain for the main drop
    She still hasn't forgiven me!!!
    "...Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

I was always afraid to ride the ride, until I saw it on the Travel Channel, on a program promoting the parks. The inside of the ride looked so cool, and the drop happens so fast, that I decided that I could be brave for at least one minute.

My first time on the ride was back in 2005. I was in Magic Kingdom by myself. I treated myself to the Splash Mountain pin, and then I got in the line. I was nervous, but I tried not to think about that, and I just enjoyed the queue. When I finally boarded the ride, I asked for the seat in the back. It was the only way that I was going to be able to brave the ride. They gladly accomodated me.

I loved the inside of the ride. The few drops in the inside really prepared me for the big drop at the end. I remember seeing the last incline on television, and so when I approached it, I told myself that I would just hold my breath, hold on, and if I was too scared, I would close my eyes. Well I am proud to report that I kept my eyes open and enjoyed the plunge.

I have since rode it a few more times, and I always ask for the last seat.

Take the plunge. It's not as bad as it looks.

• Minion

Splash mountain is one of my all time favorite rides for many reasons from the great pay off of the hill and the length of the ride mixed with the multiple drops and the great story! However I had an incident on the ride a few years back where the CM loading the logs severly under estimated the weight capacity of the log and the fact that Disney has started filling the flume with more water these days lets just say we got we got soaked through to the bone! I knew we were in trouble when the log filled with water upon dropping from the conveyor belt at the loading area when we hit bottom. The soaking continued through each little drop we passed after the roller coaster drop we were more wet then I have ever been on the entire ride so I knew we were in trouble on the big drop and I of course was right as we created a tidal wave that sent more water on top of us then I thought possible! I literally had no article of dry clothing! This experience really made it so I did not want to ride Splash anymore because it was miserable the rest of the day and my shoes were still wet the next morning! I went a couple of trips without riding the ride and my wife and brother the other part of my party on the log felt the same way! However I missed the ride and when my daughter was old enough to ride Splash I had to show her the magic of the ride so we decided we would change into swimsuites and flipflops at the hungery bear bathrooms and use fastpasses! this was a brilliant idea since we had a blast and getting wet (not nearly as bad as before) didnt bother us because we had a change of clothes waiting for us! ( we had my parents holding them because they didnt want to ride but I guess you could take turns if you whole party wanted to ride) I recommend this for anyone that does not like the wet factor!

•   
    • Chicago Gal

Blog Entries

When I rode the ride in December of 2007, I actually got wetter going up at the beginning of the ride, than I did coming down at the end. I think they time it that way on purpose.

• Pongo is my hero.

I first rode Splash in the Magic Kingdom and I was pretty young. I thought I was going on Pirates of the Caribbean- but this turned out to be much worse. Needless to say I was haunted by that drop for years to come. Now it seems like nothin- but back then it was my biggest fear.

Glad you faced your fear

Some of the best moments in life are conquering your biggest fears.

one hundred and one

• formerly PretzelSouls!

Sorry about you getting stuck! But I'm proud of you for trying out the ride! Good job!
    "Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined." -Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast