Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Alien Encounter at DL?

I said this before, but I think HISTA should get some sort of ride-film with nifty vehicles like Nicktoon Blast at Universal Florida. It seems like the cheapest/easiest way to renovate that area without just sticking in another 3D movie. Nicktoon Blast is easily a 'C' Ticket, possibly a 'D', and it's not even 3D.

Only problem is, the 3D system (polarized glasses) wouldn't work with a ride-film- it gets blurry when you tilt to the side. You'd have to go to shuttered goggles like IMAX 3D uses. And if you did it in 2D, it would be too close to Star Tours.

Oh, and am I the only one who hated Captain EO? As my friend put it "That was pretty cool except for the dancing and music." And I don't like the idea of Michael Jackson being able to "reach out and touch" the audience- even if it's just an illusion.

Magic Journeys, my friends, Magic Journeys. Stupid hippie nonsense, but way cooler than Captain EO.

Oh, and I thought AE was icky and creepy. And I just got done watching Dawn Of The Dead '78.

• Internet.Serious Business

Perfect Park Acres, the latest in Hover-Burb Communities

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal88
    OMG, I was in WDW this week (for work ) and Stitch's Escape was HORRIBLE, IMHO...but the pre show was good....the rest was, well, uneventful....
    Oh wow I thought the pre-showed sucked the most. At least in the main chamber they had Stitch to look at and the cool swiveling guns. In the pre-show we have the horrible pop-culture (and old ones at that!) refferences and a dressed down S.I.R.

Well Skippy is still there.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks
    Only problem is, the 3D system (polarized glasses) wouldn't work with a ride-film- it gets blurry when you tilt to the side. You'd have to go to shuttered goggles like IMAX 3D uses. And if you did it in 2D, it would be too close to Star Tours.
    A shutter system has the same problem as a polarized system. No matter what system you use, if you tilt your eyes out of alignment of a side-by-side image, it's going to go out of alignment, causing you to see the double image instead of the single dimensional image.

The only way to correct this would be to adjust the alignment of the two images to sync with the direction your head should be tilting. Though, personally, I'd rather see Disney improve upon the Spider-Man ride system.

I know there must be some sort of plans for some advanced 3-D systems... after all, WDI was the first purchasers of some stereoscopic monitors -- can't remember which company, either Tri-Def, DDD, Toshiba, or Sharp. One Zoo was using a rather large monitor that provided somewhere around 17 images to create a stereo video that can be viewed at any angle without glasses, which gave the illusion of real gorrillas in an exhibit that they were having. Disney could make some great use out of that kind of technology.
    -Tim

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum
    A shutter system has the same problem as a polarized system. No matter what system you use, if you tilt your eyes out of alignment of a side-by-side image, it's going to go out of alignment, causing you to see the double image instead of the single dimensional image.

The only way to correct this would be to adjust the alignment of the two images to sync with the direction your head should be tilting. Though, personally, I'd rather see Disney improve upon the Spider-Man ride system.
    Yes, but with the polarized glasses, there is no way to correct for tilt. With shutters, you COULD do something to match the motion.

My wife and I seem to be the only people not in love with the SpiderMan ride. I don't know what it is. I was all hyped for it, but I didn't even bother to ride it a second time. I saw double images a LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by pancakesaregood
    First of all, I believe that ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter, in any way shape or form, will be returning to WDW or making it's way to Disneyland.
    That certainly would make my day/year/millennium

I think the DL crowd would be much more accepting of Alien Encounter (and it's warning signs that WDW guests obviously could not read).

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks
    Yes, but with the polarized glasses, there is no way to correct for tilt. With shutters, you COULD do something to match the motion.
    I'm not quite seeing what you mean....

A side-by-side image will remain side-by-side no matter what system is used. There really isn't a difference between polarized glasses and shutter when it comes to this. Any shift correction would need to come in the film -- this shifting doesn't come from the glasses system used. Manual shift correction in the film can be done whether you're using shutter, polarized, or anaglyph (but lets hope NO park will use anaglyph!).

Shutter/flicker systems are a higher-quality system for projection, true, but it's not the glasses used that will cause shift-correction. The glasses are only based on varying degrees of quality (shutter being the better, polarized being mid, and anaglyph coming in last) and filters and sync used with the projector/projectors.

I am 3-D obsessive and a stereo photographer, btw...
    -Tim

• LoisAlene

I believe in recycling, but even This trash shouldn't be brought to Disneyland!
    We rode Alien Encounter - what a stinker! Very boring show - being held down by shoulder harnesses while nothing much happened in the dark left us going "We waited in 30 minutes in line for That?" (loved Skippy though). Sounds Dangerous was a much better version of hearing things in the dark attraction.

Tomorrowland seemed so Small after 10 years of not seeing it. It also was so quiet, not a lot of motion. I remember Tomorrowland as being the Busy fun place in the park. There needs to be Movement. Is our vision of Tomorrow that stagnant? Again, more Wow is needed! Hopefully when the subs return the visual space will open and Tomorrow won't seem so small and cramped.

It would be Great to have Innoventions turned into a restaurant but for one small drawback - there is no water in this building. I really miss the show concept. It was a great place to sit and cool off (or nod off). Rotating things were big in the early 60's. Today they seem much more pedestrian. We aren't as easily impressed these days. How do we get that Wow factor back into the area?

Never once did we descend into HISTA, after seeing it at WDW there was no reason to do so. This movie is Old. The concept is Old. Get rid of it and give us something NEW! I'd Love to see a Spiderman type ride somewhere in that area. Themeing would not be easy. It would be difficult not to duplicate Star Tours or Buzz Lightyear. How many times can you flee/fight Aliens and in how many ways?

Spiderman was awesome for it's graphics and effects. We rode that many times, sometimes the film and voice were out of sync but most times the ride was right on. We never experienced the double vision thing, it sounds most unpleasant.

Themeing seems to be a big problem for Tomorrowland. We've lost the "Gee-Whiz we are the best and brightest the world has to offer" attitude that seemed to epitomize the old original Tomorrowland. It's pretty hard to make "fun" rides when the future seems so dark.

There's no more "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" for us to look towards. We need something that will help restore our optimism for the future, however temporarily.

War is over if you want it...

Peace - Love - Mickey Mouse

No clones. HISTA and the starcade above it could accomodate a decent size attraction. Throw in the people mover once again. I think it would be great if Tomorrowland focused more on the future and a little less on the space theme. (BLastroblaster/startours/SM). Just my two cents.

but Alien Encounter is a good attraction....

The space that is taken up by that worthless Starcade would be a excellent location for Alien Encounter! You could use the current exit way for Space as part of the queue and send the line into the back of the starcade. They could use a Elevator or "teleporter" to move the pre-show upstairs and put the animtronics porton of the show (with Skippy of course). Then into one of the 2 chambers and exit through the current non-working speedramps. You could even redirect the AE, Space, And HISTA Exits to go through the Startraders gift shop and we all know how Disney loves it when a ride exits into a gift shop.

BTW does anyone know what is up stairs in the starcade besides the X-Wing?

Quote Originally Posted by benshroyer
    BTW does anyone know what is up stairs in the starcade besides the X-Wing?
    The ghost of air hockey past.

• Disneyland Historian

Things That Would Fix Tomorrowland!

1.The New Subs.

2.Bring back the PeopleMover.

3.New Startours:Instead of only the classic flight,include about 5 more versions of the ride.let people choose what flight they want to go on,all new adventures,but keep the original Endor flight as well because it is a classic.

4.Both HISTA and Starcade need to go.Make all new attractions in these places.

5.No lines for Space Mountain LOL I Wish.

6.Make Inoventions truly Inovating. ASIMO is a really good start.

7.Some new scenery for Autopia.

These things would make Tomorrowland once again The DL hot spot.

• Rally Vixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by woxel1
    The ghost of air hockey past.
    I miss playing air hockey upstairs.
    Anything listed on the park maps as an attraction is fair game for inclusion in the Rally.
    I cannot confirm nor deny the inclusion of any attraction in the Rally.

May the Gumballs Be with You...Always.

NO GOATS!

• Quality Assured

Guests WILL NEVER pay heed to warning signs! For example, "You Will Get Wet" on Splash Mountain, the guest gets wet, then throws a hissy fit. Same as goes for WDW's Mission Space, "THIS RIDE IS HIGHLY INTENSE and EXERTS STRONG G-FORCES ON THE HUMAN BODY, now is your LAST CHANCE to EXIT!" And above that, Disney shows these warnings to the guests before the queue, during the queue, during the pre-show, in the guide map, etc etc etc. The problem specifically with Disney tourists is that they feel that, "This is Disney, what could possibly happen?" My own grandparents were in Disney-MGM Studios in 1994 for the soft-opening of Tower of Terror (gooooood tower ;-) ) and did not pay heed to the warning because they felt, "This is Disney, what could possibly be so intense?" On the ride my grandfather reassured my grandmother that, "We're not really moving, it's Disney, it's a projection." When the car started moving through the 5th Dimension to the drop shaft, "See, we're only moving forwards, the drop will be Disney, a simulation drop." When the shudders opened at 13 Stories and he could see he was above the Mickey Water Tower..."HOLY S#$%!"
    ...now, think about Alien Encounter, no different from the other great rides mentioned above, it was AMAZING, and although it got "dumbed down" over time with additional lighting, etc it still warned guests that it was scary and for mature audiences not afraid of being frightened. HOWEVER, Disney tourists think right away *frightening for children,* where else have I seen that...Haunted Mansion, "that wasn't too scary" and Snow White's Scary Adventures, "wasn't that scary either" which must mean that Alien Encounter is "not that scary for my child either." And so came the demise of Alien Encounter, and if Stitch isn't dumbed down for kids even more soon, it may soon have an even shorter fate...

I really believe that they took AE out of WDW for a good reason. It did not really fit in a Magic Kingdom park. Disney built its reputation on family entertainment. Somehow, in my mind, I don't see it as a family attraction. That being said, it certainly does not have a place in DL. Come on guys! Lets not suggest that they should take some lame attraction out and put another lame attraction in its place. It HISTA is to go, they need to do something really amazing with that space. That is the real problem with Tomorrowland anyway, right?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast