Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Decor Extraordinare

Snow failed to fall on the 30th

I went to Disneyland this past Wednesday with some friends just to visit before the extreme crowds would arrive on the forthcoming weekend. We wandered around a bit and wound up in front of Small World. We had no intention of arriving just in time for the light show, and we stood and watched. But when the cue for the snow passed, the snow machines turned on [unfortunately, you can hear the fans buzzing in the light towers], and the lighting came up. Yeah well, it didn't illuminate any snow, because the machines produced none.

I might've expected one machine to fail, but all of them? There had to have been at least 5 in the Small World area alone. If the crew filled up every machine with the solution at the same time one night after closing, it would make sense that they would all run out simultaneously, but the odds of that, IMO, are hightly unlikely. I own 6 fog machines, only 2 or 3 of them are the same wattage amounts. When filled up at the same time and set on timers to go off at the same intervals, they all emptied out at different times. My point is, how likely is it that they would all run out at the same time? Not a single machine produced snow in that area.

So we assumed that Main Street and NOS got some snow, and we just so happened to be in NOS during the fireworks...yet when the cue for the snow passed, no snow. The same scenario - music cue, fans turn on, no flurries. I tried to get a glimpse of one of the fluid bottles attached device on the light tower [closest to HM], and in front of one of the washes it seemed as if the bottle was about 3/4 full. I couldn't be too sure, though. But again, not a single machine produce snow.

So was it mechanical failure [doubtful because the fans spun] or simply just because they were ALL out of juice at the same time?
    "I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."
    --------------------------------------------------

• Banned User

Re: Snow failed to fall on the 30th

If it was raining during the day, they do not turn on the snow generators. So that is one possibility....

Nice to see you Mr. Space Duck by the way!

• Pongo is my hero.

So, you want her to get hurt?

one hundred and one

• Decor Extraordinare

Quote Originally Posted by ICe101 View Post
    If it was raining during the day, they do not turn on the snow generators. So that is one possibility....

Nice to see you Mr. Space Duck by the way!
    It was raining that day...a lot. But why did the fans go on?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer Scott View Post
    So, you want her to get hurt?
    And, I'm sorry to say, I haven't a clue as to what you are talking about.

It doesn't snow if the ground is wet.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

^^ very interesting. I've never heard of this before. Perhaps to prevent slipping?

Solely to prevent slipping.

• Decor Extraordinare

But I still don't get why the fans would turn on at all if they planned on not producing the effect.

I doubt they did. There are many other things that could make that sound, including projector cooling fans in Small
    World Mall.

• I eat TR's for breakfast!

Disney should at least make an announcement over the loudspeaker as to not fool the guests.

Maybe not the most necessary announcement in the world but then at least people would know what was going on.

Somethin like "due to the slipery state of our concrete at this moment, snow cannot fall on Disneyland tonight.......etc."

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by mrfantasmic View Post
    I doubt they did. There are many other things that could make that sound, including projector cooling fans in Small
    World Mall.
    No, no, the fans do run. It is very distinct and you can see them running. Same thing happened to me on the 11th.

• Decor Extraordinare

I saw the fans spinning in the SW and NOS areas...I don't know. Modern technology is so odd.

An announcement would've been pointless. The reaction on most unassuming people's faces was "huh?" I'm betting they took it as just a pretty light cue to illuminate the ground, rather than what should've been snow.

• Nill

Yea, it didn't fall because of wet surfaces.

The fans do still run, but I believe it's because they are not directly attached to the snow machines, so there are separate "on/off" switches.

I'm sure there is a logical reason for the fans running and not being able to shut them off, but I have no clue what it is.

• Banned User

yup we do not let it snow when the floor is wet. It would make the floor really foamy and gross when guests walk over them and make the floor even more Slippery. Safety first! Its happened a few times this year when its rained.

• Let there be light!

All the snow machines are dmx controlled.
    The newer machines placed by Small World and Fantasmic have control over fan speed and snow output. So it appears that when they want no snow, a tech presses a override button on the light board that takes away snow output, but keeps the fan speed.

The older Chauvet SM150x models, along Main Street and the Hub, fan speed is determined by a knob on the back of the unit. The volume of snow coming out of the machine is determined by the dmx channel. So the override would eliminate both fan and volume output.

It seems your just in the wrong place(s) with the newer machines. If you were along main street with the old machines, it wouldn't of fooled you. Why don't the turn off the fan and output on the newer models during a override? I don't know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast