Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Small World - The ride that never sleeps.

Quote Originally Posted by almandot View Post
    With Haunted Mansion I think the reasoning behind most of the rumors is either back in the older days it was such a pain to get everything working in sync that once you got it you didn't dare touch it so left it running with the sound off, or that it was more cost effective to leave them running than turn them off and risk them not working properly after being powered off and on.

Not sure how much an impact that plays these days but it's still done nonetheless.
    This one comes closest to my understanding of it based on my years as a CM in the 90s. At that time, IASW dolls were still controlled by huge banks of solenoids, each one labeled (with one of those old manual label machines) as to which coil operated which movement on which doll. I can see all of that easily getting mismatched from the soundtrack. However, the Tiki Room/Mansion/Pirates "stack of records" *should* have stayed in synch regardless of power downs each night, yet I recall during a late night walkthru of the HM that certain AAs were still running sans sound. Notice I say certain - it was a very random selection of those that were still moving vs. those stopped.

This said, in the many times I snuck into IASW when it was either down for rehab or it was open to guests but the park was closed, it was about a 50/50 chance that the animation was still turned on.

As far as the clock, I've been in the park many, many times after closing when the parade would not run every 15 minutes, but also an equal number of times when it would still run without sound. So, I don't think there's a 100% correct answer.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

There are many factors.

I has to do with the technology behind the animatronics of each specific attraction (pneumanic/hydraulic).

It also has to do with the control method (central vs. grouped) of the individual animatronics.

A hydraulic-grouped system is more flexible and reliable when on/off cycles are considered.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

Just the thought of those dolls still moving but no sound creeps me out.

One time I got stuck on WDW's Splash Mountain and the audio went off but thr AAs kept moving. I had serious heebie jeebies.

Worked IASW on the night shift. The dolls are turned off at night, however sometimes the mechanical people turn them on to do repairs or to verify that all of them are working. The AA is on a separate switch from the audio. The dolls' motion is controlled by a system of "flip-flops" which are routed to the entire attraction. There are three timing cycles of these flip-flops, each 1/2 the speed of the next higher.

BTW, the eyeblinks are controlled by a separate "eyeblink generator". These have 8 channels and pulse the eyes of the dolls at random intervals. The mouth movement is controlled by tones recorded with the audio. The tones are decoded by filters and directed to different mouths on the dolls.
    Last edited by soundhound; 01-06-2010 at 08:32 AM. Reason: addition

• hunter of Hidden Mickeys

this is a really interesting topic! I love hearing speculation/theories on what really goes on after the park closes. Its hard though to determine what it is that really goes on though, quite a few of you who posted seem to be pretty reliable sources (CMs) but have variations in what really goes on. Still fun to read though

• 1st Visit: 7/23/1955

I had a friend who was a CM in the late 60s who worked Small World. He always said that they did not turn anything off and that he and his co-workers were in there at 2am hosing the dolls off with large hoses. He claimed gum and spit wads on the dolls were a big problem.

Yeah, I also heard the stories about huge herds of rats swimming across ROA at sundown. Guys in wet suits swimming from ROA to JC via a tunnel.

Growing up in Anaheim and having tons of friends who have worked at the park I've heard just about everything.

And then there's there the friend who worked in a computer room under Country Bear who said the bears would drop down from above, singing away, while all these people were working at their computers. That always brings up a fun mental picture.

I worked at a tremendously boring job in the offices and the oddest thing I ever saw was all the toilet paper in the ladies' room folded so that there was a nice triangular point on the first sheet of every roll every morning. I always felt bad for the person who had that job.
    Last edited by Dopey's Girl; 01-06-2010 at 12:10 PM.

• Disneyland fan since 1967

This is a fascinating thread, and something I never knew about DL after 40+ years of visiting.
    Now don't close your eyes, and don't try to hide...

Next trip to Disneyland: December 3-6, 2011. I can't wait!!!

• jeffrey

Quote Originally Posted by D Duck View Post
    This reminds me of that Family Guy episode where Stewie gets to be a one of the dolls.
    AHAHAHA! This is what I was thinking. God I love that show!

• Decor Extraordinare

Quote Originally Posted by soundhound View Post
    The mouth movement is controlled by tones recorded with the audio. The tones are decoded by filters and directed to different mouths on the dolls.
    Is this why none of the new dolls' mouths don't move?

Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    Is this why none of the new dolls' mouths don't move?
    I left before the re-furb involving the new dolls. Cost undoubtedly is a reason why the new dolls don't have moving mouths.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    I had a friend who was a CM in the late 60s who worked Small World. He always said that they did not turn anything off and that he and his co-workers were in there at 2am hosing the dolls off with large hoses.
    Hosing the dolls off? Not a chance.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Hosing the dolls off? Not a chance.

That's right - that would spell disaster for the costuming on the dolls, not to mention the havoc it would play on the mechanical parts. The dolls are rotated through the maintenance shop at regular intervals for cleanup and maintenance. I never have seen the attraction being "hosed down" anywhere inside, and I had access to it all night.

• Future Imagineer! =D

It would be quite weird if the dolls could sing or dance all night...
    ...After a YEAR I finally was able to figure out my password again! I'm baaack! Woohoo!(:
    Disney is my life <3
    Thank Walt for all he did! <3
    Future Imagineer <3
    Keep Disney the way Walt intended it!!

Woodland Hills CA - Hottest spot in Los Angeles City Limits

I had a friend who was a CM in the late 60s who worked Small World. He always said that they did not turn anything off and that he and his co-workers were in there at 2am hosing the dolls off with large hoses. He claimed gum and spit wads on the dolls were a big problem.
    Big *water* hoses? No way, water would wreak havoc with the dolls, the mechanisms, and the sets.

Now a big *air* hose, *that* I could see them using (no personal knowledge!) - an electric weed blower, or a "Shop Vac in Reverse" low pressure air hose (for example ~2" ID hose, ~2 PSI at several hundred CFM from a ring compressor offstage) would be the perfect way to do daily clean-ups and dusting, and move all the small trash thrown into the sets onto the floor. Then you blow the trash and dirt on the floor into a corner and sweep/vacuum it up.

Now that all the light stuff has been dealt with, you have a lot less that needs actual physical cleaning.
    Yeah, I also heard the stories about huge herds of rats swimming across ROA at sundown. Guys in wet suits swimming from ROA to JC via a tunnel.
    The rats, why would they want to? There's plenty of rat traps to keep the the rats that try to emigrate to TSI from gaining a toe-hold. Not to mention they are smart enough to hitch a ride on a raft after dark - they might have a brain the size of a peanut, but they aren't /that/ stupid or they wouldn't be around.

Now the divers, that one is totally plausible depending on the size of the pipe... The Dark Water System empties from Jungle Cruise to ROA through an underground culvert that is probably large enough - there used to be a little open river that was covered over in the 1960's. And they do have to check that the pipe isn't falling apart. But I'm betting they use an air hose, it would be a little tight for SCUBA tanks.
    Growing up in Anaheim and having tons of friends who have worked at the park I've heard just about everything.

And then there's there the friend who worked in a computer room under Country Bear who said the bears would drop down from above, singing away, while all these people were working at their computers. That always brings up a fun mental picture.
    Someone's spinning tall tales about that one... Now I grant you that here had to be a computer room down there for the ride systems, and they might have carved out a seperate room to serve as office space for another department - there would be a good sized vacant space under the audience seating of the two theaters.

(Disney has office spaces and storerooms for ODV and Foods and Dressing Rooms for Entertainment and other various departments stashed all over the parks...)

But they are NOT going to put someone's desk right next to the stage lifts for the Bears so you can 'watch them singing away' as they drop down into their "dressing rooms" - not without being all safety-fenced or (more likely) walled off for safety and fire control. You might be able to hear the Bears singing away on the other side of the wall, and see them through the wire-glass peephole in the service door - but nobody goes into the pit or has direct access to it while the show is running for safety reasons. You might forget to duck at the end of a scene and end up with a few tons of AA Bear and stage lift on your head.

There are lockouts and interlocks on the door that automagically E-Stop the ride if someone opens a door to a restricted area. If the Elevator repairman has to go in there, they put the lifts full up, open the door and trip the E-Stop, and set safety blocks as a backup. Then they can go sweep out the pit, repair the seals on the jack cylinders and empty the pit cans that catch the oil leaks.
    I worked at a tremendously boring job in the offices and the oddest thing I ever saw was all the toilet paper in the ladies' room folded so that there was a nice triangular point on the first sheet of every roll every morning. I always felt bad for the person who had that job.
    That proves to the Janitor's supervisors that they were there and checked that restroom. Standard in the industry, no matter where. And bosses do spot-check to make sure the worker has gotten through their entire list. They also have other tests, like marking the corner of the bed sheets with a pencil tick-mark to make sure they were changed.

--<< Bruce >>--
    There's No Place Like 127.0.0.1

• Mouseaddict Developer

Quote Originally Posted by 413x View Post
    Actually it would be. I don't know if it was here or on Youtube but someone got stuck in the ride without the noise/music. All the AA's were still on and you could only hear the 'Click, Click' as they blinked or moved...
    ...here is the link:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8TcJe3HTcQ]YouTube - it's a small world with no audio (creepy)[/ame]

eerie

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast