Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

• Rock Star Minion

Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts/Myths about Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Awesome View Post
    Eh. It's always difficult for me to identify written sarcasm.
    And it's apparently hard for me to display it as well, I've gotten chewed out for being sarcastic or making a joke when people thought I was being serious...
    Merely one of the hazards.

Anyway, back to making up stuff!
    (Which I think there have been several threads of. Truth is boring.)

Disneyland was built on an Ancient Indian Burial Ground....
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

I'd like the OP to number all these statements, so we can compile a snopes-like response.

And, when someone asks about a particular one on their own, we can simply say, "Oh, #209 on our list. That one is true/false/unknown."

And since this reminds me of one of my favorite jokes, I will copy and paste it:

Quote Originally Posted by joke #118 (not kidding!)
    Several actuaries were sitting around at an actuaries joke telling convention. These actuaries knew their jokes so well that they assigned numbers to them. In order to save time, instead of telling the joke they would just shout out the number.
    "387" shouted out one actuary. The others all laughed loudly in approval of the joke.
    "834 shouted another of the actuaries. The others laughed mildly at this one.
    "1,023" shouted another of the actuaries. Most of the others laughed mildly at this one. There was one young actuary in the group who was rolling on the floor and laughing hysterically at that joke.
    The actuary who shouted out "1,023" settled the young actuary who had been rolling on the floor and then asked him "What is it about joke 1,023 that is so funny?"
    "I never heard that one before", replied the young actuary.

Alternative ending:
    An actuary new to the group, seeing how others get a laugh by shouting out the joke numbers, says "214." No one laughs. He tries another, "427." Again, no response. He tries one final time, "591." Nothing but glassy stares. He asks the actuary next to him, "Why doesn't anyone laugh at mine?" The other actuary replies, "Some people just can't tell jokes."
    (Why, yes, I'm an actuary.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by luke7059 View Post
    Do these "errors" really matter though? Disneyland has had a long and successful life so far, and over the last 55 years people have re-told stories and rumours, some of which have entered into folklore and become "fact".

Whether the "facts" are true or not shouldn't matter, it's a testament to the popularity of Disneyland that some of these rumours have lasted as long as they have! I think it's great that over the years people may have made stuff up about Disneyland in order to get themselves some credit!
    I'm about "facts," not truth. If you want truth, paraphrasing Indiana Jones, the philosophy Forum is right down the hall.

"Testament to the popularity of Disneyland that some of these rumours have lasted as long as they have"? Not really. It's simply a testament to the refusal of people to be skeptical of every line of BS they're handed.

Myths, no matter how often repeated, NEVER become fact. If you feel more comfortable believing every Disney myth that comes down the pike, that's your prerogative. However, I will continue to point out factual errors.

• Closed Account

Not to beat a dead horse, but Opus1guy elaborated eloquently on the Bulldozer story in a MP thread in 2004, that makes for good reading:

In another thread here, I mention some marketing hype on an old Disneyland Hotel brochure that may not contain the "whole truth." This got me to thinking...How many of the legendary stories about Disneyland are true, highly embellished truths or just plain false?

Just one story comes to mind. I had the pleasure of having lunch one day with Disney Legend Bill Evens. Bill was the one Walt selected to head up the landscaping of Disneyland back in it's initial creation, and who continued in that same capacity many years afterwords for Disney theme parks all around the globe.

I just happened to mention the oft-told story of the bulldozer operator. The story goes that when land preparation started out on the Disneyland site, Bill went around and color coded the existing trees on the property into 3 groups...Destroy, Remove For Relocation, and Leave Right There. 3 different color ribbons were tied around the various trees. Story is the bulldozer operator just started plowing away at almost every tree with a ribbon on it. When stopped and questioned what the heck he was doing, it turned out he was color-blind!

This story was printed back in 1955 in all the pre-opening Disneyland "interest" Press Releases and appeared in the Los Angeles Times, Los Angeles Register, Orange County Register and countless other newspapers around the world at the time. It's still published in various Disneyland history books and publications.

When I mentioned this story, Bill squinted his eyes and shook his head from side to side. "You know...I've always wondered who started that story! I didn't hear it until many years after Disneyland opened. I never did know where that started up, 'cause that never happened to my recollection!"

Interesting. Well I happen to know that Imagineering President (at that time) Marty Sklar was just a humble copy writer for Disneyland back in the 1950s, and that he issued almost all of those interesting stories about the designing and building of Disneyland, to the Press.

So one day I had the opportunity to see Marty and I brought up what Bill had told me and that Bill never recalled any such incident. I mentioned to Marty that I knew he was in charge of that kinda stuff back then and inquired if he had any knowledge of that story or the Press Release. Marty smiled and kinda stirred uncomfortably for a few seconds and then sheepishly admitted he might have embellished that one...or maybe just made it up altogether. I think he said something along the lines of they were desperate for interesting stories and well...the place was all about Fantasy, wasn't it? I asked if there were any others that were just made up, and he just said he'd better plead the 5th on that one.

Bill later told me that he was on some panel with Marty at a Disney Fan convention somewhere, and right there Marty confessed to that one and apologized to Bill right on stage! He said they all got a good laugh out of it.

One story is true Bill said. The only remaining Orange Tree from the old groves that used to exist on the property pre-Disneyland, was over at the Disneyland Hotel in the "Oriental Gardens" section of the old 2-story Garden Wings of the hotel. It was still there a few years ago. I haven't been over to that section of the Disneyland Hotel since Downtown Disney opened. I wonder if that's still there or if it's gone now? Anyone know?

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    However, I will continue to point out factual errors.
    And just what gives you the right to do that???

Oh yeah, freedom.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by opus1guy, via Steve
    I think he said something along the lines of they were desperate for interesting stories and well...the place was all about Fantasy, wasn't it?
    So, I was right: "fantasy," not "yesterday."

You, Awesome, owe me a Coke!

• Closed Account

Sed, I just read that you were an actuary.

I'm so sorry...

• De la Terre la Luke

I'll ask one more time: Does it really matter if people believe in the myths?

Actually I don't care anymore. I've lost the will to live. Bye.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    [quote-opus1guy, via Steve]
    I think he said something along the lines of they were desperate for interesting stories and well...the place was all about Fantasy, wasn't it?
    So, I was right: "fantasy," not "yesterday."

You, Awesome, owe me a Coke![/QUOTE]Yeah, I saw that and thought you nailed it!

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    Sed, I just read that you were an actuary.

I'm so sorry...
    Meh. It's a living.

I read that you live in North Carolina....

Pretty funny joke, though. Google ""Actuary Jokes," and you will find a list, numbered. (We. Are. Pathetic.!!)

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by luke7059 View Post
    I'll ask one more time: Does it really matter if people believe in the myths?

Actually I don't care anymore. I've lost the will to live. Bye.
    It doesn't really matter to me what you believe. Others want to know the facts.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Meh. It's a living.

I read that you live in North Carolina....
    Oouuch.....

• Minion

The eucalyptus trees in back of City Hall were part of the old orange groves. Blue gum (eucalyptus globulus) was commonly planted as windbreaks around orange groves in southern California and around farms in the Central Valley of California. The ones between City Hall and Adventureland are still there today.

• Knight that says Nee!!

I don't think anyone got "authoritarian" at all. In the first few pages (the part Awsome admits he didn't read) BEFORE the OP corrected it the thread started out as "these are some great FACTS about DL" and several people even commented about how great it was to learn these "facts"...so several, admittedly I was one, tried to give some clarity to some of the things on the list we knew were not factual and were actually wrong.

It doesn't have to be important to everyone, but it does matter to at least some that the info they get about DL is correct and not myths passed on ad nasium. The OP is not at fault and no malace is pointed at him. He corrected some of the wordage and the thread became a kind of fun exchange of myths and the stories that lie behind them as well as the real facts.

And then sediment spilled the beans about his condition...and bummed us all out.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    And then sediment spilled the beans about his condition...and bummed us all out.
    what the....?
    If I had any feelings, I'd be insulted. Sadly, they were removed after I passed the first exam (of several).

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast