Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Closed Account

Re: Little-Known and Well-Known Facts about Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Please do not mistake these for "facts".
    Exactly. The blacktop of Main Street drives people into the airconditioned stores? Like this was a marketing ploy done on purpose? Exactly what other color should blacktop be?

How about an H2O molecule looking like a hidden Mickey. Those Imagineers sure were creative when they altered physics and created that particular molecular configuration!

Oh...and a search on the US PTO website shows no listing for a Mickey head trademark...

• MICKEY MOUSE IS MINE :)

U kno these are all from a book right? Even tho these are the most interesting facts ever
    What?!?! Birth By Sleep is only coming out on the PSP?!?! It's the end of the world!!!

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandBand View Post
    U kno these are all from a book right? Even tho these are the most interesting facts ever
    What book exactly? I'll make sure I don't buy it.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kablary View Post
    ~Disneyland's address is 1313 Harbor Blvd - this address was picked by Walt, not automatically given to the park.
    -- 13 may stand for M, the thirteenth letter in the alphabet, resulting in "M.M." [Mickey Mouse]. 1313 was also Donald Duck's address and 313 was Donald's license plate number.

I have no idea if this is true but I did want to point out the the criminal street gang/prison gang "Mexican Mafia" and the afiliated "Sureno" gangs use 13 as their symbol for that reason (it stands for "M") and some in the past have used Mickey Mouse for their symbol since "MM" could also equal "Mexican Mafia".

-- Opening day was "Black Sunday" to the execs. Temps were over 100 degrees, the water fountains didn't work and toilets clogged [due to a plumbers' strike], all of the food was eaten up, and women's high heels were sinking into asphalt.
    As DB said, Disneyland officially opened on a Monday. Some things were not fully operational due to time constraints in the construction schedule, though there is no confirmation that any kind of strike had anything to do with it that I know of.

~The park was due to have a "Land of Oz," but it never made it into construction.
    I agree with Steve G on this one. I have also never heard anything about this nor does it show up on ANY of the conceptual drawings of the early park.

~Steve Martin used to work at DLR in the 60's as a balloon animal crafter at the Magic Shop.
    Steve Martin himself has confirmed this many times.

~Henry Kissinger, former Secretary of State, loved Disneyland so much, he donned a uniform and sold popcorn from a cart. He went the whole shift without anyone knowing.
    I have never heard this before, but it would be very funny if it turned out to be true.

~The ground at the park's entrance is red to give the feeling of a red carpet treatment.
    -- The pavement on Main Street is black. Black asphalt heats up and keeps guests on the move into Main Street's shops.
    The ground at the entrance is red because it is the parks "lobby". Walt Disney concidered his park a huge stage with the entrance being "the lobby". Once you went through the RR tunnels you were "on stage" (this is also why employees are called "Cast Members".) Main Street is asphalt because it is a recreation of an actual street from Walt's past (Marceline) not due to any use of heat to keep guests moving.

~When the Matterhorn was built, it exceeded Anaheim's then-height limitation. At 147' tall, the city made the exception.
    -- The city also made an exception for the Submarine Voyage, when nothing was on record regarding the operation of underwater vessels in the city.
    I have no idea if the "exception" myth is true. Even if it is, special permits/exceptions for certain things in construction are not all that odd, even today, let-a-lone back then.

The main problem with this myth should be obvious...the "submarines" are not underwater vessels. They never submerge so the question of their under water operation should have no bearing on city permits.

-- The street car and trolly tracks are greased every morning with vegetable oil.
    -- The horses have a special coating on their shoes that enhances the sound their feet make as they pull the streetcars down Main Street.
    Useing vegitable would make no sense as it would cost more money than the standard industrial lubricant that can be bought in bulk & would not serve as well as the industrial lubricant as far as doing the job it is meant to. I have never heard this one before, but it makes no sense as to why they would do it.

The horses to my knowledge, have shoes designed to walk on asphalt/hard surfaces to protect their feet and that is the only "special thing" about their shoes. The noise they make needs no enhancement.

That's my take on the ones I felt I could address. Some others listed I didn't bother to address since they are well known by now.

• Knight that says Nee!!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandBand View Post
    If they are from a book that is passing them off as "facts" then the author is being disengenous OR is a very poor researcher. I agree with Steve, I would avoid this book if that were the case.

• De la Terre la Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Goofy Daddy View Post
    Please do not mistake these for "facts". I believe even the OP said these were rumors (actually "myth" was his term) about the park and its history. Many of the things on the list above are true TO SOME EXTENT, some are toally false, some I have never heard of after doing lots of research on DL's history and with out actual supporting evidence are just questionable rumors.
    Thank you for your concern. I know most of them are myths, I was just trying to be polite to the OP. But thank you so much for bringing that to everyone's attention

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by luke7059 View Post
    Thank you for your concern. I know most of them are myths, I was just trying to be polite to the OP. But thank you so much for bringing that to everyone's attention
    Not everyone knows that many of these are false--you among them, as suggested by your first post.

While the OP may have used the word "myth" in the body of his post, he uses the word "Facts" in the thread title. Being "polite" is defacto acceptance and praise of someone who, purposely or not, is spreading misinformation.

I'm of the belief that incorrect information should be pointed out early and often.

• Minion

This thread wouldn't be complete without the one about Tom Sawyer Island having a Missouri zip code.

• We Want The Redhead

Now Living in Eden Along The Lake Erie Shore In The Furthermost Reaches Of Western New York State

I actually began the arduous task of disassembling this post line by line and thought better of it. Life is simply to short.
    First Visit at the age of 12, July 17, 1968.
    First Ride, The Disneyland and Santa Fe Railroad.
    BRING BACK THE PEOPLE MOVER!

I remember reading something about a plumber strike in a book by Randy Bright called Disneyland: Inside Story (excellent book BTW). It may not been on opening day, but it was later on during construction if I recall correctly.

One of my favorite stories involved a gas leak in the Fantasyland area. Apparently the ride technicians checked for gas pockets by holding a lighter through various sections of the rides.

• A Malice in Wonderland...

I heard that Walt selected 1313 as a kind thumbing one's nose at superstition. Something like 'even bad luck can't stop Disneyland'. Of course like many of these types of stories I fear it may be unverifiable. Just thought I'd chip in with what I'd heard over the years.

• Disney Secrets Master

Awesome facts. I did not know some of those. Thanks!
    Putting the um in forum. Um...

• Mouse at work

~The park was due to have a "Land of Oz," but it never made it into construction.

I have read this before, but I forgot where. What actually happened was that Walt Disney tried to get a licensing or buy rights to build the land or something like that, but he wasn't able to, which is why the Land of Oz never even made it into any of the concepts of the park.
    "Ian, in life, whatever you do, DO NOT give up your dreams and goals of the past, present, and future and only then will you be successful!" - Walter Elias Disney

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by firebolt413 View Post
    I have read this before, but I forgot where. What actually happened was that Walt Disney tried to get a licensing or buy rights to build the land or something like that, but he wasn't able to, which is why the Land of Oz never even made it into any of the concepts of the park.
    Sounds like a mis-reading of this article: Jim Hill : Disney's long, long journey to Oz
    Last edited by Villains Fan; 01-04-2010 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Link removed

• Minion

There was, however, a concept in development for a Chinatown street as a side street to Main Street. However it was never built. Also Edison Square and Liberty Street were two planned small "lands" as offshoots from the east side of Main Street, and in fact one of the wall maps I bought in the 1960s even showed them on the map - yet neither was ever built. Some concepts from Edison Square were utilized in the Carousel of Progress, and a Liberty Square was built at Walt Disney World, so they did make use of some of the concepts. I still think a small Chinatown area somewhere would be a good addition.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast